Hi! Are There Any Brits Out There Who Have Degus? - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-13-2005, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Red face

Hi Brant and welcome to PT! Here is a link to a thread that discusses cleaning out their cages..
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21253

Also if you havent already, try going to degu discussion and there is a list of all the threads that have been posted..
Great to have another Brit on here by the way!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:09 AM

The bathroom in my house has got a covering on it which is easy to clean. I think this might be a good place to let my Degus run around as they will not be able to damage the carpet.

Due to my house being rented, I don't want my Degus to cause any damage!

The are getting more vocal as the days go on, and they are making sounds which mean they are chatting to each other and happy. They seem to like making a cheerpy sound allot. At tiems I think I am keeping birds.
post #33 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-14-2005, 04:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It takes a while for them to settle in i find and they are the same around strangers, if anyone new came in mine used to sit glaring at them or act all shy and hide but once they get used to certain people they are fine. The cheepy sound or weeping you mention is a warning to the other degus somethings a miss or something or someones come into the room or even one of the others startling another can set them off, mine sometimes do it for no reason!

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 09:41 AM

I'm from England too. I have two sets of two boys, and i'm trying to introduce them all together. I got mine from the RSPCA and fell in love with them straight away. they are called Rum and Raisin and Ben and Jerry. R&R love snoozing up my jumper, but they only sit still for 30mins. They are the loves of my life, after my boyfriend of course! :-)
post #35 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Red face

Hi Sammy and to PT!

I have 5 degus, 1 male and 4 females.. Do all your degus live in the same cage? Do they get on well together?
post #36 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-18-2005, 05:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H
I'm from England too. I have two sets of two boys, and i'm trying to introduce them all together. I got mine from the RSPCA and fell in love with them straight away. they are called Rum and Raisin and Ben and Jerry. R&R love snoozing up my jumper, but they only sit still for 30mins. They are the loves of my life, after my boyfriend of course! :-)
Welcome to PT ! Look forward to hearing more about your degus Goodluck with the introducing i have been there three times now and know exactly what your going through right now, it gets very tense I was also the same with mine fell in love instantly and paid deposit at petshop and a week later fetched them home with little or no information but that was 6 years ago and loads around now and good sites like PT

Kirsty

post #37 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:44 AM

hi all!

my degus have a 'modified' cage so they are in the same one but separated by mesh. I've tried introducing them all together twice beforebut, they fight so i separate them again. they are getting better. I don't think i'm giving them enough time in together before separating. i was hoping to try again over the weekend but Rummy has hurt his foot and i don't want to risk him damaging himself any more. i'll try again when his foot is better. generally they get on ok. Jerry always tries to start fights though! He's a little troublemaker!! Its basically got down to a fight between Jerry and Raisin, so we're getting somewhere.

Do all your degus have their own personalities? My boyfriend doesn't believe me when i tell him they do! It sounds like most people found their degus "by accident" and fell in love! It must be those cutsie little faces, and the love-me eyes!
post #38 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 11:51 AM Thread Starter

Red face

Mine all have different personalities.. I just love it when they are begging for food, they push each other out of the way to be first..
post #39 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 12:10 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
hi all!

my degus have a 'modified' cage so they are in the same one but separated by mesh. I've tried introducing them all together twice beforebut, they fight so i separate them again. they are getting better. I don't think i'm giving them enough time in together before separating. i was hoping to try again over the weekend but Rummy has hurt his foot and i don't want to risk him damaging himself any more. i'll try again when his foot is better. generally they get on ok. Jerry always tries to start fights though! He's a little troublemaker!! Its basically got down to a fight between Jerry and Raisin, so we're getting somewhere.
Yes, they can fight and it does look bad i thought mine were killing each other but they was just roughing each other up to see who was going to be the boss. I introduced mine in a neutral area and left them together for about 20 minutes the first time and they started fighting so i separated them and tried again a week later and after the initial roughing up they got on fine and have lived together on and off ever since (they do like to have breaks apart though to say they are two males they are like an old married couple ). I had to introduce two before though and they got on for a year and then fell out oneday over nothing and tried to kill one another and had to live apart hence me getting one of them a new friend. Thats good though if its just the two now who are fighting as it will be to see whose going to be the boss as always got to be one head degu and sounds like hopefully you are getting there! Hope Rummy's foot is better soon

Quote:
Do all your degus have their own personalities? My boyfriend doesn't believe me when i tell him they do! It sounds like most people found their degus "by accident" and fell in love! It must be those cutsie little faces, and the love-me eyes!
Mine both have different personalities and all the ones i have had have all been totally different and have all made me cry with laughter at the silly things they have done at times

Kirsty

post #40 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 03:51 PM

Yeah, they fight a lot when i do that. I think they are all just trying to get attention! Bless 'em!!

I gave them some gnaw block tonight. Ben has been dragging it around the cage all evening! he looks so daft, but he's happy. He took two hours trying to get a toilet roll up three 'storeys' to his bed. it kept falling back down again!!

I'll let you all know if and when i get the little devils all together!
post #41 of 41 (permalink) Old 01-20-2005, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Red face

Quote:
Yeah, they fight a lot when i do that. I think they are all just trying to get attention! Bless 'em!!

I gave them some gnaw block tonight. Ben has been dragging it around the cage all evening! he looks so daft, but he's happy. He took two hours trying to get a toilet roll up three 'storeys' to his bed. it kept falling back down again!!

I'll let you all know if and when i get the little devils all together!
Good luck, and give them a hug from mine!

Tags
alfalfa hay, chinchilla pellets, dust bath, food bowl, gerty guinea pig, guinea pig, guinea pig excel biscuits, guinea pig food, guinea pig pellets, pet shop, pig food, separate cages, shredded wheat, sit still, timothy hay, wire mesh