Hi! Are There Any Brits Out There Who Have Degus? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Hi! Are There Any Brits Out There Who Have Degus?

I WAS WONDERING IF THERE ARE ANY BRITS OUT THERE WITH DEGUS.. I KNOW THAT A LOT OF PEOPLE IN THE STATES HAVE THEM, BUT WHAT ABOUT OVER HERE..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 11:07 AM
cjb
Newborn Pup

Hi Steph,

My family are in the UK and we have 4 male degus. We bought them in April, having had hamsters, rats, mice, guinea pigs, gerbils ...... We are all rodent lovers but my son wanted something that lived a bit longer, so we did some research and found out about degus. Unfortunately, we have terrible trouble telling them apart - they all have names but it is really difficult to tell who's who! They are extremely active and very funny at times but very annoying to feed - they don't really like much apart from the Gerty Guinea Pig and Charlie Chinchilla (with the raisins picked out!)

I'm not very good at this forum thing, so I won't have any pretty pictures or anything. Do tell us about your degus.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face Re Degus

HEY! ITS GREAT TO HEAR FROM ANOTHER BRIT.. I HAVE 6 DEGUS, I GOT 2 IN JANUARY OF THIS YEAR.. I WAS TOLD THAT THEY WERE MALE, BUT A FEW WEEKS LATER 4 BABIES ARRIVED.. A BIT CONFUSING! ANYWAY IT TURNED OUT THE 2 I GOT WERE BOTH FEMALE.. AND THE BABIES WERE 3 FEMALE AND 1 MALE.. I GOT THE MALE NEUTERED AND HE WAS QUITE ILL, FORTUNATELY HE IS NOW BETTER, AND LOVES ALL THE ATTENTION HE GETS FROM THE GIRLS.. REGARDING TELLING THEM APART 1 OF THE ORIGINAL DEGUS HAS A CHUBBY FACE LIKE A HAMSTER AND MY LITTLE BOY LOOKS A BIT FATTER THAN THE OTHERS.. REGARDING NAMES, AS THE FIRST 2 WERE SUPPOSSIDLY MALE I CALLED THEM MICKEY AND JERI. THE BABIES ARE JIMMY (MALE), CHARLIE, GEORGIE AND DENNY.. I HAVE LOADS OF PICS OF THEM, AND WILL POST SOME SOON!
YOU CAN SEND ME A MESSAGE ANYTIME, IF YOU WANT TO..
REGARDS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 12:16 PM
cjb
Newborn Pup

Smile

I think we have been lucky to manage to get 4 degus all the same sex. The family we bought them from had about 15 or more degus because they had been told they were one sex and then they turned out to be the opposite. I think one was already pregnant when they bought it! Anyway, the husband checked them all for us and he obviously did a good job!

Our degus are really tame, although they don't really stay still. Some people on this site have obviously had bad problems with getting their degus tame. That is why I wanted to get them when they were babies. Also, they came from a family home, so they were used to people. Ours will stay still for a while if I cover their faces with one hand, hold their back against me and tickle their tummy - they seem to enjoy it! But not for too long though.

Do you think your girls are a different temperment from the boys? Our boys are very, very active! Are female degus like that too?

Regards, Corinne.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 02:41 PM

I live in Wales and have Degus

Hi I have 4 Degus all male I live in Bridgend South Wales. I have only just joined this forum so it will take a while to get used to this.
2 of my Degus are brothers and about 6 months old and they other 2 are also brothers and about 3 months old. They are getting used to each other next to each other in their separate cages until I think they can safely be put together. I will try to put some pics when I figure it out. Nice to talk to you. Sharon.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb

Do you think your girls are a different temperment from the boys? Our boys are very, very active! Are female degus like that too?
HI CORINNE, I THINK ALL DEGUS ARE THE SAME, THE GIRLS SEEM TO BE AS ACTIVE AS JIMMY!

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~sharon°us~
Nice to talk to you. Sharon.
HI SHARON! I GOT 2 DEGUS IN JANUARY OF THIS YEAR, THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE BOTH MALE, BUT 3 WEEKS LATER 4 BABIES ARRIVED.. THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS WHEN THEY ARE BABIES..
FEEL FREE TO SEND A MESSAGE ANYTIME..

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 09-25-2004, 07:58 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb
I think we have been lucky to manage to get 4 degus all the same sex. The family we bought them from had about 15 or more degus because they had been told they were one sex and then they turned out to be the opposite. I think one was already pregnant when they bought it! Anyway, the husband checked them all for us and he obviously did a good job!

Do you think your girls are a different temperment from the boys? Regards, Corinne.
HI AGAIN CORINNE, DON'T YOU FIND IT REALLY ANNOYING WHEN DEGUS ARE SOLD AND NOT SEXED CORRECTLY, WHEN I WAS SOLD MY 2 I DID'NT REALLY KNOW HOW TO SEX THEM PROPERLY, BUT NOW HAVE NO PROBLEM! THE PET SHOP I GOT THEM FROM DID'NT EVEN APOLOGISE,EVEN THOUGH ONE WAS HEAVILY PREGNANT AND OFFERED TO TAKE THE BABIES OFF MY HANDS FOR £5 EACH.. I OF COURSE KEPT THEM..

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 07:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hello, i'm a fellow brit and degu mad so thought i would say hello as always nice to meet fellow degu owners ! Ive been keeping degus for the past 6 years and got 2 boys at the moment (as lost my other one earlier this year ) although might be adding to the number soon as offered to take some in. Got into the hobby by accident as went into a pet shop 6 years ago saw them and fell in love with them and left a deposit and collected them later that week after frantically trying to find information on them as at the time no one had heard of them and websites on them were few and far between and been hooked ever since as they are amazing little pets !

Ttfn
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Hello, i'm a fellow brit and degu mad so thought i would say hello as always nice to meet fellow degu owners ! Ive been keeping degus for the past 6 years and got 2 boys at the moment (as lost my other one earlier this year ) although might be adding to the number soon as offered to take some in. Got into the hobby by accident as went into a pet shop 6 years ago saw them and fell in love with them and left a deposit and collected them later that week after frantically trying to find information on them as at the time no one had heard of them and websites on them were few and far between and been hooked ever since as they are amazing little pets !

Ttfn
Hi! Don't you just love the little degus, my 6 take up too much of my time, I sit down and watch them running around and an hour later I am still there..
Here are some pics that are already posted on this forum, I just can't resist showing them again!

http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/attac...chmentid=13457
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/attac...chmentid=13414
http://www.paw-talk.net/forums/attac...chmentid=13598

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 04:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hiya, i know what you mean i go to talk to them for 5 minutes and i'm still there 30 minutes later scratching them under the chin and under the arms even though its a pain reaching them at times but i love them to bits and wouldn't change them for anything, best pet i have ever had and i've had some over the years

I've added a picture of my ickle Basil enjoying a sandbath
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Ickle Basil is cute.. I so love degus!

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 07:43 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Basil is camara shy that was a lucky picture as i had my camara at the right place right time, hes learnt now and avoids me when i have my camara out which is nearly all the time as its one of my hobbies, photography and i find animals make the best picture! Although my other degu Rupert loves the camara and plays up to it but he is only young!
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 02:53 AM
Adolescent Pup

i have two degu's male and female and they are due babies soon, yippie! im from kent, england.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 12-01-2004, 08:38 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Hiya, nice to have another fellow Brit owned by degus on board , look forward to seeing the baby pictures when they arrive as they are just the cutest things ever, i could never breed mine as i'd be over run with them in no time as would never get rid

Ttfn

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
alfalfa hay, chinchilla pellets, dust bath, food bowl, gerty guinea pig, guinea pig, guinea pig excel biscuits, guinea pig food, guinea pig pellets, pet shop, pig food, separate cages, shredded wheat, sit still, timothy hay, wire mesh