homemade toys for degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

homemade toys for degus

im always trying to think of new fun toys to make and more stuff to add to my cage. my dad says i have enough but i dont think i have nearly enough . ive made a little house for them, suspended a rope from the top and attached a tennis ball at the end and as a hammock i used a bandana. they havent found a use for the tennis ball idea but hopefully they will in the future.

any ideas anyone else has thought of and would like to share?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Rope is always good for them to clamber across as they are quite agile for they're size. I've made mine a home made hay rack before which can totally be shreaded by them if they wish using cardboard tubes wired together in a circle which you hang up and it is stuffed full of hay and grass and also they can hide in it once the centre is empty. My degu's also love their leaping ledges that i dot around their cage at different points so they can see different things, they also can be made at home with some kiln dried pine if you have any knocking around. The key to owning degu's is creativity i have found

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 12-13-2005 at 11:38 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 03:54 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Like mentioned above, they love rope. They also love boxes and cardboard tubes.

Oh, and egg cartons. They love those .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 01:14 AM

I have rope and mine want nothing to do with it!

Attach with wire? What kind? Isn't that sharp?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 04:21 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If you thread the wire through and use it to attach it to your cage bars then they don't touch and also its a lot safer than using string as they would easily digest that. I use florists wire when i can get my hands on it, its just needs to be thin enough to pierce the cardboard tubes and thick enough so they can't chew through it. I'm going to be making a new one in the new year (when i've collected enough tubes for making 3) so when i do i'll post some pictures. Its nothing spectacular but its something different for them to get their little paws on and they can hide in it and chew it to pieces and they all seem to love it

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-16-2005, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

id like to see a pic of that when you make it. it sounds pretty neat . i put cardboard tubes just lying around and cut them but they dont seem to care about them, i think they liked it better when i didnt cut them. ill try the egg cartons next
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 06:06 AM

The most popular new toy around here is a smallish paper bag full of hay. Derlwyn likes to jump on it then go inside and puff it back up again and again. Dogon is terrified of the sound, but she's not the brightest bulb. Mine don't care about the egg carton, unfortunately, but Chubes and Leapin' Ledges are highly appreciated. I attach my tubes with springs with clips on the ends - the kind that come with water bottles. Have fun!

Tags
cage bars, dried pine, hay rack, kiln dried, kiln dried pine