How do you tell your degus apart? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Naked Dog Mom

How do you tell your degus apart?

We just got our degus on Saturday, and they look almost exactly alike. The male is a tiny bit bigger, but not much, so we really have no way to tell them apart other than to flip them over and "peek" every time we pick one up (which they don't like much). How do you tell yours apart?

When I was much younger, I used a tiny dot of nailpolish on a hamster's foot if I had two that looked the same (I had tons of hamsters as a pre-teen/teen), but I wasn't sure if that was healthy for degus. I also thought about taking a washable non-toxic marker and making a tiny dot on each one's ear, in a different color, but I'm not sure if that's healthy for them either. The last idea that I thought of was to put ferret collars on them in different colors, but I'm worried that they will interfear with their coat care and shedding, and the only ones I can find have bells (which I'm afraid they'll chew off and eat).

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 06:48 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I have 5 degus and I can tell them apart quite easily, hubby can't though, and finds it strange that I can tell which one is which.. Just pick each one up, and try and find something about their features that makes them different to the others. For example my only male Jimmy has the obvious difference to the rest, Jeri his mum I think has chubby cheeks like a hamster, his sister Georgie looks exactly like him but for one difference, his other sister Denny is the smallest degu and has a slim face and Mickie his auntie is a bigger version of Denny also with a slim face..
Hope this helps?

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree once you get used to them you will tell them apart easily as they all have there funny little ways and characteristics and in no time you will know which one is which. I really don't suggest putting nail varnish on their feet as they will chew it off as they chew at their claws and feet quite a lot and collars would be dangerous for them to wear as could get caught up on things quite easily and hurt your degu. Just soend time with them getting to know them with regular handling and soon you will know which one is which in no time at all

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 06:36 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Once you get to know them, you might not recognize them by physical features but by their personality. When I open the cage, Hikaru always runs right over, expecting a scratch behind the ear. Ichigo, on the other hand, is more shy and walks over but doesn't let me pet her.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I tell mine apart by the differences in their fur. One has more black in it and the other has more golden tones. Good luck. Like everyone said, when you've had them awhile, you'll be able to tell them apart. It's kinda like identical twins. When you first meet them there is no way to tell them apart. But after you get to know them it's easy.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton