How much are they supposed to drink? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 08:53 AM Thread Starter

How much are they supposed to drink?

Seems like mine drink almost nothing. They seem fine though...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 09:44 AM

It can differ with each degu, some drink alot some hardly drink anything
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 10:50 AM

it definitely varies - temp, activity levels of degus. drinking lots can be an indication of diabetes. I think it would be more morrying if the amount drunk rapidly fluctuated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Every degu is different some drink more than others, it all depends on temperature, diet and activity. If your degu lives on mainly dried food then he will drink more water than a degu who has vegetables and fruit incorporated into his diet. I wouldn't worry too much about them not drinking a lot as they are obviously finding water from another source, most probably their food. The time to worry is when they drink a lot of water as thats an indication of diabetes.

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

It depends on the degu. I've heard of some degus not drinking at all from their water bottle but getting moisture from vegetables that they're fed.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
It depends on the degu. I've heard of some degus not drinking at all from their water bottle but getting moisture from vegetables that they're fed.
Thats very true i have read that too, we must have read same book or web page

Kirsty

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 05:12 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Thats very true i have read that too, we must have read same book or web page
lol, I guess so!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 06:32 PM

Red face

I did read somewhere that degus dont necessarily need water, they only have it so they can urinate!
Mine like a good vintage EVIAN 2004 is the most populat at the moment!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
I did read somewhere that degus dont necessarily need water, they only have it so they can urinate!
I have also read that, it said that they get moisture from the vegetation, crops and seeds they eat which probably applies more to the wild then anywhere as i imagine where they come from water is scarce to find and a hazard going out to find it too whereas in captivity everything is in supply. Its funny how animals adapt to different life situations from how they would live in the wild to how they live in captivity, like they might not actively seek water in the wild yet given it in captivity they will drink it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
Mine like a good vintage EVIAN 2004 is the most populat at the moment!
posh degus hey

Kirsty

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 02:59 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I have also read that, it said that they get moisture from the vegetation, crops and seeds they eat which probably applies more to the wild then anywhere as i imagine where they come from water is scarce to find and a hazard going out to find it too whereas in captivity everything is in supply. Its funny how animals adapt to different life situations from how they would live in the wild to how they live in captivity, like they might not actively seek water in the wild yet given it in captivity they will drink it

posh degus hey