Hurrah! Finally getting degus! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Smile Hurrah! Finally getting degus!

As some of you know, I've been researching degus for ages as I'm really taken with their 'charm'.

I've not been able to have any because of space, but I've had a re-jig, and I'm now getting a trio of 2 year old degus from a rescue - a neutered male and two females - currently named Billy, Lottie and Sammy, not sure whether I'll change their names or not.

They will be living in the bottom half of my Duetto cage, and the rats will live on the top as always, totally seperate. I asked about whether there would be issues with the proximity of the rats, but the place I'm getting them from has them near to rats and all kinds of small furries because of issues with space, and she says she's never experienced any problems. They're desperate for space as someone's just brought some in to the rescue - and 2 of the females are pregnant.

I'm hoping to get them this week, but it depends on transport etc. I've spent the last week 'shopping' for them on the internet! Their huge, solid shiny new metal wheel has arrived, and soem wooden stuff for them. I've ordered lots of gnawables for them too. They're not going to be spoilt, of course........

Will update when I have them, and will probably have lots of questions too, despite reading up on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:09 PM

You are going to love having them, they are so much fun..
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:25 PM

Congratulations!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Congrats!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks!!!

Am soooo looking forward to meeting them and getting them here and settled in. I've not even seen them yet but I know I'll love them to bits.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:45 PM

I am so happy for you!
Be certain that little toes nor tails are able to be bitten between the cages of your rats vs. degus. They will try to bite each other. I have 6 ratties in a 35 cubic cage beside my degus. They have lived beside each other for 4 months, I just merged my 3 degus into a 24 cubic cage. The rats try every time to reach them through their bars, and we all know the pain of a degu's bite. Rats are predators by design. Please just be certain that your divider between your cages is of a solid material, no holes to reach through, to prevent any heartache.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 04:44 PM

congrats you will lovem
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

No problem - the Duetto is designed to be two totally seperate cages, so it has two solid trays dividing it across-ways. Meaning that even when I clean the rats out, their cage will still be totally seperate to the degus' cage, as even with the top tray out, there is still another tray underneath.

Both trays are solid metal, not mesh.

I know how nosey rats are - so they will be watched carefully! It isn't maybe an absolutely ideal situation, but in view of the rescue thing, I decided it was worth doing. The cage the degus will have is a decent size though, not small or anything. What's more, they will have a whole conservatory to play in when they come out.

Thanks for voicing your concerns though, I would have done the same in your position vinamp.

I did ask Emma (where they're coming from) what she thought and she was perfectly happy with the set-up. The degus I'm having are used to having rats near them.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:03 AM

Congrats!!

You said that the girls are pregnant? Remember to make sure that the cage is baby-proof because they'll start to wander around and even jump within a few days after they're born (mine were trying to jump up and escape at 1 day old!).

Good Luck!!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:12 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwwww congratulations I can promise you if you love rats you will adore degu's even more so as they are so much like rats yet so different if you know what i mean I can't see a problem at all with your set up as long as the cage has enough space for the 3 of them they will be happy. if you ever need any help or advice i'd be happy to help

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 11:29 AM Thread Starter

No kandy - mine aren't pregnant. The rescue I'm getting mine from has just had 7 brought in, and 2 of those females are pregnant.

Mine are all 2 years old, and the boy has been neutered, so no chance of babies for me! Thankfully! They've been at the rescue for quite a long time, sadly, so I'm so pleased to be able to give them a home.

Thanks for all the nice comments! Yes, there's plenty of space in the Duetto, I had 4 rats in the bottom half where they will be living and there was loads of room for them. I'll definitely ask if I have questions!!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 11:09 PM

congrats, cant wait to see some pics of them when they are settled, feel free to ask me any questions if you have any too. sounds like they are going to a great home, its always nice to hear of people who rescue degu's, there are just so many in the rescue centres these days. good luck and i hope they settle in quickly
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 05:10 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Jo!

I set the cage up for them yesterday. I love the smell of hay, I used to have guinea pigs and loved it then, I'd forgotten how nice the smell is!! The rats have been enjoying the wiood chews I've got too. I have a whole stack of gnawables! Lol!

All being well, I'm getting them on Saturday.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 10:22 AM Thread Starter

Thought I'd better update..... they came a week ago, and they've settled in really well and really quickly.

They're friendly and nosey, but dont' really like being picked up as such just yet, though they'll happily come to me when they're out, and if I speak to them when they're in the cage they come and sit next to the door looking up at me.

Ratties and degus don't seem bothered about the presence of each other at all!! They sniff at each other sometimes when one of the groups is out, but generally, the rats don't go anywhere near them and don't seem in the least bit interested.

They seem happy with their cage, and love their huge wheel! They even like the guinea pig pellets.

They don't seem to be eating much hay though? Do degus normally eat a lot of hay? It's my only concern so far....
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 01:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congratulations on the new arrivals

As for them not eating the guinea pig pellets thats probably just them trying it on and being picky as they can be selective in the hope you might give in and give them treats instead Haywise it varies between degu's as to how much hay they eat and also if they have been accustomed to it since young, my older boys eat a little but leave the majority while my babies eat the lot within a few hours. If they won't touch the hay try a bag of dried grass, places like pets at home stock it and my boys go mad for that

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Tags
guinea pig, guinea pig pellets, neutered male, seperate cages, timothy hay