Hurt Baby Degu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:30 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Hurt Baby Degu

Today I noticed that one of my babies were hurt Upon closer look, I noticed that his tail had two little bloody spots on it, and it was kind of kinked a little where the spots were. His tail is twitchy like it hurts when he just sits there. I feel so bad for him

I had my husband hold him while I took a look at it and I got a wet towel to see if the blood was still wet so maybe I could clean it up a little. The blood was dry so I figured I shouldn't re-open the wound. Overall it doesn't look too bad and he doesn't have any other wounds.

I don't know if maybe it was an accident on the wheel or if his dad or brother bit him. I separated him and put him by himself in a cage without a wheel and I won't give him his dustbath until it starts to look better. I put his cage next to his dad and brother's and I've been giving him treats and lots of attention so he doesn't get lonely.

Are there any other suggestions for me? I only want the best for my little baby. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 10:51 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

In my opinion it was probably one of the others biting him on the tail.I have had this happen to me a few times.It could of been the dad.I had a dad a 2 boys together and all was fine they never squabbled at all then I went to check on everyone one morning and he beat both the boys up.I quickly removed the boys and they healed very well.I have found that males are more prone to fight each other as they mature with age.I am no vet.I would watch the places very close and would recommend a trip to the vet to make sure no infection sets up if the bites are very bad.JMO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 11:26 AM

Yep I agree with Runt, about the tail being bitten and a visit to the vets is needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 01:54 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I probably wouldn't have seperated him from his brother and his father as it will be hard to put them back together later on. I'd also make sure he has been bitten and it wasn't an accident with the wheel or from playing fighting. I'd probably bathe the wound in a saline solution as this will clean the bite up and hopefully stop any infection also to be on the safe side and a vet visit might be in order as bites normally carry germs but thats also dependent on how bad the cut is, if its minor then i would bathe it with the mild saline solution and keep a very close eye on it. Goodluck and i hope the little guy recovers very soon

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-2005, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Today it seems he is feeling a little better but his tail still twitches a little. Last night I let him sleep with his dad and his brother without the wheel (in case thats what he got hurt on) because I didn't want him to get cold or be lonely, I'm so over protective. Tonight when my hubby gets home I'll ask him to help me clean the little guy's tail. Thanks for the tips and opinions, it's greatly appreciated
Also, what exactly is a saline solution (how do I make it?)?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 02:25 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Saline solution is a mix of warm water (normally use boiling) and a small amount of salt (say about a teaspoon depending upon size of container) which you allow to cool till its tepid. Its just salty water basically which helps to clean up wounds and kill germs.

How did the boys get on last night? Glad he's feeling a little better please keep us informed on how he is doing

Kirsty

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

He is doing great today he is really affectionate actually. I think he is thanking me for taking care of him while hes hurt
Yesterday I separated the dad from the boys and gave the dad the wheel so that he could get his exercise and so the hurt boy (Ninja) could play with his brother Nippers a little.
His tail is less twitchy today so that's a good sign. You can barely tell his tail is hurt now and it isnt as kinked as before. Now all you can see is a little scab so I think it's healing nicely. Should I still use the saline on it? I didn't use it yet because I just found out what it was. If so, should I rub the scab off so it gets in the wound (owwie!) or just dip his tail in and let it soak for a few seconds while he eats shreddies? Thanks again, I really appreciate all your help, it means a lot to me and my babies!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 06:03 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

If its healed over i probably would leave it or maybe just dampen a little piece of cotton wool and wripe the wounded area over with it. I wouldn't mess with it too much if it looks like its healing nicely you don't want to disturb it too much. Just keep a close eye on it to make sure it stays infection free. Glad to hear he is a lot better

Kirsty

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks He seems perfectly fine still and he's back to his old self again. Thank you all for your help!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:47 PM

Hope he continues to get better...

Tags
vet visit