i did something stupid - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2007, 11:51 PM Thread Starter

i did something stupid

I put the new degus in with mine that i got today and they were ok for like ten minutes and then they attacked eachother
I tried putting the one at a time in with the new ones
mine attacked like crazy
my degus hate the new ones

will they ever get along

how am i gonna get them all to be friends

ps no one got hurt
oh except me my degu bit my pinkie and i bleed alot
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 12:18 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aw, maybe only let them play together in a new place with something seperating them but they can sniff each other and then take that away after it goes well and then let them in the same room for a few mins (2 or 5 or what ever your comfortable with) then slowly (very) keep them longer and longer until they are fine for an hour or two and let them be in the same cage during the day (if they are nocturnal) or at night (if they are daturnal) so its very few chances of fighting, and only when your in there (like reading or watching tv or what ever for a few days until they can stay in all day (or night) and then after that goes well they should be able to stay in all the time... if they dont get to that point i hope your ok with it

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 12:21 AM Thread Starter

thats good advice
i knew better but i was over zelous and wanted to see them get along right away
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i just did that tonight with my new rats too! they didnt fight though and i didnt leave them together very long just long enough for one of my new ones (Shes really shy) to dive under the bedding

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

my freekin pinkie is killing me now god im dumb lol
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 06:45 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Firstly sorry to hear about the fight, degus take a long time to accept one another and it takes time and patience for it to work. I would have advised you quarantined the new degus for a week or so to make sure they have nothing contagious that could be passed on to your existing degus but thats a little too late now. I read you had brought a male aswell as a female, your easiest job will be introducing the female to the other female but again this will take time and its not something you can do over night. Males tend to be more territorial then females so the process can take longer. Have you seperated the males from the females yet? If not you need to do this before it will work. Then you will need to put them in different rooms so the males can smell the females as this could trigger fighting. The basics are as follows, if you want a more deatiled how to introduce see my website: Put the two cages containing the two sets of degus you wish to introduce next to one another so they can see and smell each other. After a few days start swapping the cages over so each set is in the others cage for a few days so they will again pick one anothers scent up. Keep on swapping the cages over and also let them use the same sand so again they pick one anothers scent up. Keep on doing this for a good few weeks and then try introducing them in a neutral area such as your bath, it is important that you put them in at the same time so neither party can claim its their territory so you might need another pair of hands for this. Watch them closely and gauge their reactions, any teeth grinding or tail flicking is a bad sign and indicates a fight may start out. All degus will have a small tussle to start of with as they will need to decide the pecking order but these fights should only be the wrestling kind if it turns into anything else they need to be seperated immedietely. If this happens go back to the beginning of the plan and start again with the scenting process, another trick is to try using vanilla sand (normal chinchilla sand infused with a vanilla pod for a few days or a couple of drops of vanilla essence) as this makes them both smell the same and can help with introductions. Keep on trying the introductions till they get along and sit and watch them for 10 minutes and see how it goes, then put them back in their own cages and the next day try introducing them again and if they get on lengthen the amount of time each day till you get to 40 minutes to 1 hour and then try them in a cage together (it is important that the cage you use is neither degus old cage so if you wish to reuse one of their cages you need to disinfect it thoroughly and give the cage a new layout inside), keep a close eye on them and at the first sign on fighting seperate and start again. It can take time and a lot of patience but it can be done

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 09:28 AM Thread Starter

well it looks like im in for a long wait
i plan on letting their vcages be close to eachother and swap the degus from cage to cage for acouple weeks
then im gonno do thier second introduction w them together
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Have you seperated the males from the females? The reason i ask is ebcause if you haven't you don't really have much hope of introducing them as males are very territorial and will fight over the females

Kirsty

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

i have mama and her two boys together
and then i have the two that i bought boy & girl together
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

they all get along that way
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The boys are still young so they will get along but once they get older they will fight over the female. There is also the chance that they will breed with the female and if she is their mother its not a good idea, the same goes for the other two if they are brother and sister it is not a good idea to let them breed as you are more then likely to have offspring with problems due to inbreeding

Kirsty

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 10:29 AM

Goodluck. It is a long process, I got very eager when I bought my new chin and they bonded instantly. Which made me happy. But every now and then Hailey needs to put the newbie in his place. But goodluck with the degus!
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

i have sice successfully paired up an unrealted male and female
i tried putting all males together and it was a ball of flying fur. one of the males toe was almost bitten off. if the healing process starts to look bad im gonna have to take him in and have it amputated.
so i have mom and son one cage
son and girl in one cage and broken toe boy all alone
that is the best i can do the one who's toe was bit wants nothing to do with any of the other degus....so i guess he just wants to be alone
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 11:26 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Its more then likely he needs more time to get used to the other degus. Degus are highly social and you've only had the new ones a week which is no time at all in degu introductions, it can take months for degus to get along with one another and it takes time and patience it doesn't just happen over night. The problem is you are trying to mix 3 males to 2 females which isn't advisable as males will fight to the death over females as they are territorial. You would be a lot better keeping the two related boys together in one cage and the two females in another and then either trying to introduce the single degu to the two boys or get him neutered and introduce him to the two girls.

Kirsty

post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-13-2007, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

i tryed putting the females together the mom freeked and ball of fur angain. I seperated them as soon as they started that. I have been bit alot getting in between thier fights. I think the mama and babies were very wild when i got them they are aggressive....the one boy she has is shy and always alone and that is the one i paired up and they get along awsome he finally has someone to snuggle. mom and son used to outcast this boy alot. I really dont think they will ever accept the boy i bought.....

Tags
guinea pig, males together