I finally got my degus to live in one cage! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

I finally got my degus to live in one cage!

I did it! My 3 Degus now live together! I bought Degu Baby in early October and her two younger sisters (Myandi and Paprika) at the end of October, 3 months are between them in age. I have tired every way possible to get them to like each other, actually, the babies liked the older sister but she would not tolerate them. Degu Baby bonded with me so much that she left no room for her own kind....4 months later she has bald feet and tail (surely from boredom while I'm at work or asleep). Anyway, I bought them a 24 cubic foot cage in which to live. I found out that Degu Baby enjoys her younger siblings so long as there is plenty of room for her to retreat (and for the babies to hide!)
When I put them together for the first time in their new home I totally expected a brawl.......all 3 of them began to chirp, squabble, and squeak!! Degu Baby was so happy that she was leaping at least 6 inches into the air for several hours...it was so-o-o cu-u-te!!!
Now, 3 days later they are playing and sleeping and eating together, well, maybe not eating together, but you know what I am saying. This has taken me 4 months! Now I just hope that Degu Baby will stop chewing her feet/tail so that her hair will re-grow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 02:23 PM

Thats awesome, i have had the same problems in the past, degus can be very picky about their cagemates. I have three girls too, Lucy the mum and her two daughters hodge and podge, they all love sharing a cage, but only if there is room for "alone time".

Im really glad that you were able to introduce degu baby without a fight, she must have realised that she was lonely for some furball affection .
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 03:30 PM

Aw, am so pleased for you and Degu Baby!! Hopefully the fur will regrow now.
Bless 'em!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-20-2006, 04:38 PM

congrats on your success
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 06:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwww congratulations. I told you with patience and time you would get there and you have and its wonderful news. Her fur should regrow back now given a few weeks as she will have chewed it off through boredom and stress of being on her own when she probably wanted to be friends but didn't know how too. If you wanted to encourage regrowth you could rub a tiny little bit of either oil of evening primrose moisturiser or something like E45 cream or a babys moisturiser onto the bare patches as they will soften the skin up which in turn opens the hair follicles encouraging the fur to grow back. The only thing to make sure is that before you put her back in the cream has completely soaked in. I hope everything remains happy and peaceful for you and that they all become firm friends for life

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-21-2006, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Thank You. I am so happy and so are they!
Uhmm, ...what is E45 cream?
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-22-2006, 07:30 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Its a moisturiser not sure if its available over in the States or not but if not you could use a mild unscented baby moisturiser or oil of evening primrose moisturiser cream they all work the same

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide