I need Pup Info - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 03:14 AM Thread Starter

I need Pup Info

Hello Degu Experts

I haev 5 Degus in foster with me that were rescued. It was a family of Mom, Dad, brother and 2 sisters.
I seperated them as soon as I got them to my place.

Mom is for sure pregnent, she has gotten very large, has erect nipples to, So I need information NOW! ... lol
Also one of the daughters is a big bigger to, so I may have 2 pregnent Degus on my hands.

My first question, Can the three girls stay together?
Or with there be problems?
I'm thinking of putting the Degus in my 50G splt tank, Mom who's having the babies on one side, and the two girls on the other. Tank (yes i will take out the gerbils first LOL)
This way they can still see, smell and interact with one another, but the pups will be safe from the others. Then If I think they are safe, I can remove the divider (it all comes apart).

I havn't done any reading yet on raising Degu pups (i will once i finish posting).
My friend came by for a viset today, and she used to breed Degus, and she was the one who pointed it out to me.

So far i know I want to make her a nest box, and fill it with hay, as i'm told it's very importnant the pups stay warm.
I've also been told to take the males out of the same room, as they may fight.

Any other comment, information and suggestions would be appreciated. I have raised gerbils sucessfully, so i'm not too worried, I just want to be 100% prepared.

THANK YOU!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 03:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
If there are more pregnant females, they put their children into one nest and suckle them together. They don't care about which child belongs to which mother, as all the adult degus take care of all the children.
http://degus.org/english/rozm_.htm
This sounds very good, if anyone has had other experiances, please tell me. Thanks
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 08:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

That was one of my main worries when you first got them, at least they are in safe hands with you

Firstly apart from making the cage secure as the pups are up and around within days normally and providing lots of nesting materials and extra food and hay there is not a lot else you can do. Secondly degu's are communal and you don't need to remove the other girls as they will help the mother look after the young. I know Steph (purplebunny) left her two females together when one has babies and she had no problems whatsoever I would personally remove the boys out of the room as the girls will come into season (heat) straight after giving birth and it could cause the two males to fight so as a precaution i would remove them out of the room.

Degutopia has a great section on raising baby degu's so it is worth a read

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks
So it looks like I'm on track.
I just need to get the big aquarium ready for them, and make/get a nest box.

I'm more excited then worried, I have never seen Baby Degus before and from what I'm told they are THE cutest lol....
I still hope it's just the one pregnant, 3-6 are easier to re-home then 12!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 07:52 PM

congrats *shuffles feet in jealousy* i wish i could have a pregnant mommy...i love little kids to care after...
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Can I handle the pregnent female?
I read it can make them miscarry, is this true?
I mean I'm not going to be squishing or dropping her, but i'd like to know if they are REALLY fragile?

I've noticed her on the bottom of the cage alot today.... does that mean anything?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I personally wouldn't handle her too much to prevent any damage that maybe caused to the unborn pups. I don't think it hurts if she climbs onto your hands and you lift her that way i think its more of a case of if you actually pick her up and put any pressure on her tummy region but i always stay on the side of caution. I think she could be about ready to have her pups, she will slow down a lot and probably won't move around too much now at the latter stages of the pregnancy as the pups get heavier. Which could be what you are witnessing now. Baby degu's are just the cutest and when they arrive you will have to post lots of pictures

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 05:33 PM
SwC

Any update?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

I have moved the girls into the 50G tank now.
They have SO much more room now.
Since i had to hang the water bottle inside the tank... they distroyed it, and now are drinking from a bowl that I'd put on a shelf.

I have pictures, though i cannot seem to upload them to my gallery.. i'll try again later.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

The New Habitat

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 11:36 PM

Little destroyers, eh? Not unlike some gerbils I know... lol
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:25 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfoot
Little destroyers, eh? Not unlike some gerbils I know... lol
LOL.... i think u sent ur gerbils over here just to teach the degus how to kill water bottles, the tecnique was very familour!
lol
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 09:23 AM

look at those cute little degus my one suggestion would be getting a wheel for them as they love to run on it
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 06:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinamp
look at those cute little degus my one suggestion would be getting a wheel for them as they love to run on it
I cannot afford one.
Plus i expect pups and from personal experaicne pups w/ adult gerbils and a wheel does not work out, babies end up getting hurt.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:20 PM

wheels and babies work out ok...my breeder uses them i don't think they cost too terribly much online OH and do degus like the hay stuff very much? i've not heard much about it but would love to know more

Tags
baby degus, males together, nest box, nesting material, pet shop, timothy hay