I was in Petsmart eariler... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Angry I was in Petsmart eariler...

...and my mom and I saw one of those SunSeed flower garden salad things for my goos. On the package it says "FOR RABBITS, GUINEA PIGS, CHINCHILLAS & DEGUS" The ingredients in it is Timothy Hay, Dehydrated Parsley Stems, Alfalfa Hay, Pine Cones, Calendula Marigolds, and Rose petals.

When I saw that I almost flipped. So people that don't do much research on degus and want to buy them a treat, saw that it said it's safe for degus, buys it, gives it to them, and then the poor little goo starts munching on a pine cone. The goo will get sick.

I already sent a letter to the company informing them but FAT CHANCE they'll do anything. As long as they're getting money from what they have already they won't care about the well being of the animals. It's possible that someone there would care, but I know big business will just write you off and keep on selling things not fit for the pets health.

Grr. I'm angry right now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 08:51 PM

Where did you read that about Degus and pine cones? I've never heard that would be bad for them.

I've always read that pine is safe for Degus - kiln dried pine shelving, or bedding. Is there something different about a pine cone that would make it not good?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Degu origin

Kiln dried pine is safe for animals but not raw pine.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 09:59 PM

Hmmm, that is interesting! I was told that Salad Bowl was totally safe for Degus!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:23 PM
RAT ADDICT

Unfortunatly alot of the stuff sold in pet stores is either harmful or have no nutritional value and people buy because they don't do research or the employees tell them it is okay or it is cheap.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:27 PM
Adolescent Pup

Yea, it'll all about the money. The best we could really do is raise public awareness or sneak into a TV station during the superbowl and let the whole world know.

Pet Parent to:

Golden/Labrador Retriever: Maxine

My Two Favorite Dwarf Hamsters:

Love you buddy, I'll see you later: Ozzy

Gone, but never forgotten: Drix

I liked this smiley so I just had to add it.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockman0 View Post
Yea, it'll all about the money. The best we could really do is raise public awareness or sneak into a TV station during the superbowl and let the whole world know.
Unfortunatly even with that,there are gonna be the few that don't care and still shop!
I know this,because I know a few people like that! There is a chic I know who "loves animals" and "hates pet stores with a passion"...yet she still shops at the worst pet store in the city!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 04:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Pine cones aren't thought to be safe for degus due to a chemical in them although they are safe for chinchillas, in actual fact i had a discussion a year or so back with Chloe the lady who runs degutopia about it. The salad bowl we get by sunseed in the UK doesn't have pinecones in it although its not something i buy anyway as i make my own

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 09:24 PM

The good news is that there aren't very many pine cones in the bowl, so they are easy to pick out.

I'm glad to know, and will pick them out right away! I'm glad this came up!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 10:30 PM
What the shell! :)

That angers me too, because I bought a degu 3 years ago from someone who had no clue what to feed them and he was already about 3 to 5 years old, had cataracts and his fur was very yucky looking. Its sad that they dont' do more research because this person (and this was a local petstore) could have helped that degu live a healthy life, now he gets the right stuff and is doing better but his cataracts will never go away, its not like it really bothers him but if he was fed right he would be perfectly fine. I totally agree with you its sad that everything revolves around money and not safety (even with human lives) people never stop surprising me. (in a bad way)

our lil family

The Mr & Mrs

& Maggie-the dogs

& Cleo - the cats

sushi & Fuji - the rats
...and the turtles
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 11:55 PM

That same thing happened with a Degu given to me too. It is heartbreaking!

I think a lot of people see them, think they're adorable (which they are), and just get them on an impulse. Then they don't stop to think that perhaps these animals have different needs from other "pocket pets".

You know, I think there is a general lack of care for ALL pocket pets. People seem to think since they're little, it doesn't matter if you don't take good care of them. They get a little hamster, stick it in a cage, and only handle it on cage cleaning day. I even know some vets who treat pocket pets as though they're less important than the larger pets.

But those people are missing out on a LOT!
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

alot of store bought food for iguana's especially juvenile iguanas have animal protein in it which is thought to be bad for them.. however some still argue if it is or not. its hard to prove.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Herp Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
alot of store bought food for iguana's especially juvenile iguanas have animal protein in it which is thought to be bad for them.. however some still argue if it is or not. its hard to prove.
Animal protein or made from little more than corn meal. The only nutritional value comes from what little vitamins they artificially add usually.

She sits in her corner, singing herself to sleep.
Wrapped in all of the promises, that no one seems to keep.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 02:10 PM

Thumbs down Been there....

I was glad when someone at Petsmart had heard of Degus, when I told them I was looking at some different treats. Unfortunately they didn't know that much because they pulled out this chinchilla treat bag that had a bunch of fruits in it.....

I told them that while they were similar in many ways to chinchillas, the fruits would be very bad for them...
~ Nicole

Tags
alfalfa hay, cage cleaning, dried pine, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pet store, pet stores, timothy hay