illegal Degus? - Page 3 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:22 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I just believe it's a little dumb to outlaw having Degus, Why not just say, if you have them they must be spayed or neutered like they do with ferrets? Or restrict the importing of the animals to just one gender. It's a little more humane than to just take the animals and destroy them. I know with hairless guinea pigs, or "Skinny Pigs" the breeders only send one sex to the pet stores. Why not just do something along those lines?

I don't know, I am just wondering what the difference is between Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, P.E.I and New Brunswick. You can have Degus and Hedgehogs in some other provinces, with very similar ecosystems. If the fear of the pets being turned loose and breeding is a problem, why aren't they restricting rats and mice? The pets are a different species than the ones we have in the wild. I am going to get some more information next week on the restrictions, what they are and why they are in place.

I know Alberta has a province wide ban on rats, if you are caught bringing rats into the province they will be destroyed, you will be fined and can face prison time! I guess we are lucky we can still have our rattys!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:24 AM
RAT ADDICT

Yup,Alberta is the ONLY province with a rat ban! It is really stupid really.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #33 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
Also consider that regulating ownership of an animal would take much more effort than outlawing them completely. Many places ARE trying to put more time into combating more dangerous crimes, which is exactly why these animals are totally outlawed.

i know thats why they do what they do, i just think its unfair to the responsible owners that want a pit...i know that when we go camping, we cant tell the camp ground that our dog has pit in her cause its not allowed. shes part pit and part chow, and they'll take the chow but not the pit. and theres a lot of apartments around asheville, nc that wont take pits, dobermans, chows, great danes, or any other "aggressive" breeds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

It's terrible that a few bad owners ruin a breeds reputation for the responsible owners. I've encountered many sweet Dobies, Rotties and Pitbulls, It is really frustrating. Maybe I should have posted this in the legal issues section!

post #35 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyshedevil View Post
It's terrible that a few bad owners ruin a breeds reputation for the responsible owners. I've encountered many sweet Dobies, Rotties and Pitbulls, It is really frustrating. Maybe I should have posted this in the legal issues section!

maybe...not a bad idea...maybe you could start one there? lol. idk.
post #36 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I figure the initial question is answered, I also received some more info from a girl I went to high school with who knows almost EVERYTHING about small animals and their care, she's doing some more research for me *She's awesome* . But I guess my answer is without a doubt Degus = illegal and HUGE FINE, Hedgehogs = permit and semi legal. So I may have a chance to get a hedgie yet

So now for my quest to find the correct paperwork to apply for a permit to get a hedgehog..any ideas?

post #37 of 38 (permalink) Old 11-23-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxyshedevil View Post
I figure the initial question is answered, I also received some more info from a girl I went to high school with who knows almost EVERYTHING about small animals and their care, she's doing some more research for me *She's awesome* . But I guess my answer is without a doubt Degus = illegal and HUGE FINE, Hedgehogs = permit and semi legal. So I may have a chance to get a hedgie yet

So now for my quest to find the correct paperwork to apply for a permit to get a hedgehog..any ideas?

yea, it appears the question is very much answered, its really more a debate now. but at any rate, i wish i could help, i'm sure someone will be able to help you find something. here in the states, we dont have to have permits for many kinds of animals (that i know of), so i'm not really sure how to go about that. good luck though, i hope you get your hedgie.
post #38 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:58 PM
Playful Pup

Yeh it does suck that certain animals are illegal, but there is evidence of alien species causing havoc to the local ecosystem.

Mink (like a ferret), which are bred for their fur & oil, escaped from mink farms & thrived in the British countryside, and now native species such as Water Voles are now endangered. Why? Because the mink eat the voles!

I guess some of the escaped animals would die in unfamiliar environments, but if they don't... and meet up with others of their species, you would have a bit of a problem on your hands (think the Simpsons episode where Bart releases a bullfrog into the wild!)

Is there any other pet you can have? What if got a Degu & got it neutered?

*~Katie~*

2 Degu boys: Bobby & Niblet :3 :3

Tags
degus