I'm out of ideas! Any help? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

I'm out of ideas! Any help?

Right, I'm completely out of ideas on this one. I'm welcome to suggestions! For a few months now, Raisin has seemed a little bit down. I first thought that this was due to them being a dark corner in our previously cold, damp house which we've now moved out of. He's perked up a bit but still doesn't quite seem himself. And he seems to have lost a bit of weight.

A few weeks ago he has a weepy eye and i noticed his bottom teeth were overgrown (him and rum have dental problems). he's been to the vet and been checked over, had his teeth trimmed back twice now, and the eye is looking better, more weepy in the evening, fine in the mornings. So i'm happy this isn't a problem.

He has been eating fine, drinking fine, playing in his wheel lots as normal, faeces are fine, accepting treats with serious enthusiasm. I've checked him over for cuts/lumps/bumps etc, nothing. he even came out and snuggled on my lap yesterday! My usual source of degu illnesses has a few symptoms, but they are combined with others he doesn't have!!

So, he seems okay healthwise to me, but he's lost weight and seems a bit down. Any ideas????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 02:33 PM

Awww poor guy It sounds like he's bored or depressed to me. Have you tried giving him a new toy maybe? I'd say just give him lots of hugs and attention and maybe he'll perk up a little Other than that I don't have much advice. I hope he feels better soon!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I did wonder. They have a wheel which they use all the time. I keep buying toys and they are interested for about 10 minutes, then the toy gets ignored!!! I've wasted so much money on toys for them!!

as for being depressed, i wish i could spend more time playing with them. I'm out from 7am to 730pm each day, and i spend as much time as possible with them in the evenings/weekends, but we've just moved into a new house and more of my time is going on painting/decorating/unpacking at the minute.

And rum and raisin are quite nervous degus (badly handled before we got them from rspca) and we've made good progress in handling, but they are still quite awkward to get out of the cage. Theyre fine once you have them! It makes cuddling difficult!

Thanks for the suggestions... i'll visit the pet shop again this week and spend more money!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:59 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Aaaawwww i'm sorry to hear that Raisin is feeling down. My first instinct is that its probably something to do with his teeth and the weepy eye that has gotten him down as degu's can show signs of depression when they feel under the weather or something has been wrong and like humans i'm sure they take time to recover. And the stress of the teeth and the vet visit has probably just taken its toll. Also something to remember is you have just moved house so you don't know what, if any effect that has had on him. The weight loss is probably from when his teeth were overgrown and he should regain that weight again over time. I would keep an eye on him, hopefully he will be back to his normal self in no time once his eye and teeth have settled down. If not i'd maybe get him checked out thoroughly by your vet to make sure he hasn't got a blocked tear duct or something simular if the eye continues to weep slightly. Sending him lots of deguey feel better soon hugs

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 02-06-2006 at 07:02 AM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks! i hope its nothing other than stress/teeth. i know its still a good sign hes eating and drinking properly.

i remember ben lost lots of weight before he became very ill and died. i don't think i could go through that again.

i'm going to try trimming his teeth again, but if not, if get him back to the vets!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Well i bought them some hidey places last night... jerry started eating his, r&r just used it to get easier access to a ledge!!!

daft question, do you think degus get SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder)? today was the first time they all were up when i was! and they were up and eager for food... the most active i've seen them at 7am for months!! its also happened to be much lighter this morning!?!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 09:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think that the dark has something to do with it and also at this time of year it is cooler in the house at night and darker to much later in the morning so naturally they will stay in bed longer. But as the nights draw out and its lighter earlier in the morning they will get up sooner and be more alert when you are. So it is SAD of sorts i suppose so no its not a daft question at all

Kirsty

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

i think that them having a nice warm bright sunny spot in the new house helps too!!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 10:34 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes, they do love the sunshine. Mine love to sunbathe on a nice sunny day

Kirsty

Tags
pet shop, vet visit