I'm seeing spots! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-14-2005, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I'm seeing spots!

I was inspecting Buttercup and Tinkerbell the other day and I noticed that Buttercup has developed these brown splotches on the insides of her back legs. They almost look like freckles but they are spreading. Tinkerbell does not have them. Has anybody else noticed anything like this on their babies? Does anybody have any idea what it could be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 10:12 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How old are they?

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-15-2005, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

They will both be a year on the 16th (Saturday)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-16-2005, 12:39 AM
Playful Pup

Hmmm..I never heard of this before....sorry I couldnt help

Dog mum to Snowy And Tuffy!

Guinea pig mum to Erin, Cocoa, Tilly, and Buffalo Bill!

Hammy mum to Twinkie!

Fish mum to Jakie!

Forever In my heart
Silvia my wonderful Guinea piggie.

Angel and Sammy my hammies.
My sweet lil parakeet Sky.

My lil guinea pig Piglet, I sware she had Angel wings and a Halo!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 05:21 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I think its more than likely just a skin or fur colouration thats probably always been there but maybe become more prominant with age and become more noticeable. Some degus develop white spots and its all down to genetics so this is probably linked to that too. I'd keep an eye on her and if they change at all or somethings not right i would see a vet but i don't think its really anything to worry about at all

Kirsty

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 05:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Cant help you much.. Have they got any bigger? Have you looked on the internet? If you are concerned try and get in touch with a vet..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-17-2005, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

So far the spots just seems to be on the insides of her back legs, I haven't found them anywhere else. I took her to a small animal vet who told me up front that she had no idea about degus but that she would take a look and see if anything appeared out of the ordinary as far as small animals in general were concerned. She was at a loss when it came to the spots. If anybody knows of any vets that are familiar with degus in or near maryland, please let me know.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 09:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

As its something i haven't come across before or even heard of i have asked a fellow degu expert aswell for you She like me thinks its a pigmentation fluctation thats come about with age so as your degu has grown they have become prominant and maybe appear to be spreading. Would you at all be able to post some pictures as that might help us narrow it down a little bit aswell and would really help ?

Kirsty

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-18-2005, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

First of all I would like to thank you for going out of your way and getting somebody else's opinion too. I will take pictures hopefully within the next couple days and post them. Again thank you.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-19-2005, 08:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

No worries at all i really want to help you and find out what this is as its really got me stumped as its something I haven't heard of at all, well not for them to spread I know they can get pigment fluctuations on their feet, hands and various other body parts and one of mine has 2 brown spots on his nose that are only visable when the hairs parted so i think its probably just a case of this with your degu and they have become more visable with age but pics would really help as make it easier to see what you are talking about, so would be great if you can get those sorted so we can get to the bottom of this

Kirsty

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2005, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I tried taking pictures and it was hard. Once I finally got Buttercup to hold her leg still long enough for me to snap a photo, i would notice that you couldn't see the spots. would it hurt her in any way if i used one of those feminin facial shavers and shaved her leg (assuming she doesn't get cut)? Would the hair grow back?
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 07:09 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd probably leave her as could stress her out and she could end up cut as degu's are quite wriggly. I think they will just be skin blemishes to be honest where the pigmentation in the skin is fluctuating and becoming more apparent, one of mine is the same on his back feet they are now two tone. I'd keep an eye on her and if shes healthy i wouldn't worry too much but if she develops anything else let us know

Kirsty

Tags
white spots