I'm in shock... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'm in shock...

My degus decided to kill each other today. I have no idea why. They are sisters and have been together for the past three and a half years. Earlier today I heard weird squealing and they were rolling around in a big ball. They were obviously exhaused at this point but were still shoving at each other. Both were bloody but Ichigo was the worst off. She was covered in wounds...especially on her face. Her tooth had been chipped, too . When I pulled them apart they both collapsed and Ichigo wouldn't get up...she was breathing weird and sometimes twitching . Hikaru seemed better off but still had a huge gash in her side and bites on her paws.

Of course I freaked out and rushed them to the emergency vet. After checking them over they found that Ichigo might have damaged nerves and there was something wrong with her nasal passage...I can't remember what happend to it. Her jaw was kind of messed up too. Hikaru wasn't as bad but still needed surgery. They didn't know if Ichigo would make it and even if she did she might have many more issues but I wanted them to try anyways. She didn't make it. She actually died before they even anesthized her . I'm extremely upset and writing this is making me tear up again.

Hikaru, on the other hand, made it through the surgery and is doing a lot better then the vet thought she would. She's on antibiotics and painkillers...I have no idea how I'm going to catch her to give them to her . I might keep her in a carrier for the next week so it's easier to give her meds. It's hard to catch her when she's in her cage since it's multi-levelled with a bunch of hiding places.

I'm in complete shock. I have no idea what would have caused them to fight like that. It's just not something degus do...especially female littermates that have been together for years. They had a big cage, too...

If Hikaru recovers I don't know if I should get another degu. I don't want to...especially if they end up fighting. But at the same time I don't want her to be lonely. Maybe she wants to be alone, though . Yet after the fight she was actually cuddling with Ichigo...it was all very strange.

I'm so upset .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 12:51 AM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I'm very sorry for your loss. I hope Hikaru heals quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:02 AM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Thank you. I hope so too.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Mel

Oh no! How scary and awful. I hope Hikaru heals and feels better. Poor babies.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:34 AM
Will It Ever Change?

best wishes to you and your goos. i dont know what would have provoked that. best to keep them apart in case it recurrs?

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

oh how scary Steph!
Im sorry for your loss.
I hope Hikaru will be okay.

Lve Never Fails

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

im soo sorry for your loss, i hope Hikaru heals up quickly.. poor baby

My Furry Family
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 04:33 AM

O'm so sorry for your loss!

x
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 06:04 AM

Oh no! That's horrible. 8( I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope Hikaru recovers quickly.
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 06:56 AM

Oh no That's so awful. Very sorry to hear about that.

My boys are littermates and have had a bad fight where they both ended up bloody...yet they went back to cuddling afterwards. I don't understand it at all. Something just gets into their heads and they can't move on until they "settle it," I think. I'm not sure if I would get another degu if I was in your position but that's your call. Maybe a baby? If they fought that badly even as littermates, I would be worried what would happen if a new degu was introduced.

I hope Hikaru heals up quickly That's so sad.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 07:19 AM

Oh How awful for you I bet you were so scared and shocked.

I'm so sorry for your loss and I hope Hikaru gets better soon.
post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm so sorry for your loss I hope Hikaru makes a full and speedy recovery

In my experience i've found degus can fight for no apparent reason and sometimes over nothing. I've had it happen twice and in both cases they were long time cage mates (over 3 years in each case) and until the point of seperation they had been best buddies. But i did learn something else aswell in both cases i found a link between one of them being near the end of life (as you know degus don't often exhibit signs of ill health till the end) being the instigator of the fight and the one who come worst off from the fight. I was lucky that both times I (or someone else) was in the vicinity when it kicked off so i could seperate before any real damage was done. I don't think people realise the power of a degu fight and how quickly it can happen. Once Hikaru heals up you will know by how she is in herself if she is missing company, just because there has been a fight it doesn't mean she won't accept a new friend and there are no guarantees either way as to whether or not they would ever have a fight, its a risk as degu owners we take. You will know in your heart what is the best thing to do

Once again i'm so sorry for you loss

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:31 AM

sorry for you loss but glad she's doing well. Hopefully everything works out for the better
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 09:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I am so sorry

if i were you to get another degu i would only have them be able to be by each other threw a fence they could still interact and everything but you could have them together for play time and thats all

[/CENTER]

post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 10:39 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope that Hikaru makes a speedy recovery.

Tags
cage bars, cage mate, emergency vet, heating pad, pet supplies, teddy bear