Information about pregnancy plese! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Information about pregnancy plese!

One of my Degus is pregnant, and I need all the information I can get about pregnancy so I'll be ready and know how to handle the babies. (We accidentally got two of the opposite sex, we didn't do it on purpose without doing research.) Some specific questions I have are:
  • Will the babies fall through the wire cage?
  • How long will it be before I can handle the babies?
  • Will I have to seperate the male from the female & babies?
  • When cleaning the cage, what do I do with the nesting area?
  • Will I have to provide extra food, water, or bedding?
I need all of those questions answered but any other information will be great. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Adolescent Pup

HELLO AND CONGRATULATIONS

first degus are pregnant for 3 months they start showing in the last month it is advisable to separate the male during or just after her giving birth as they can mate again and it can be harmful for her to get pregnant straight away you will need to make sure that the babies cannot fall of anything in the cage as they are up and about in no time mom will do the rest of looking after the babies they make great parents just make sure she has plenty to eat and drink nearby i wouldnt mess with the bedding just make sure they have plenty to make the nest

handling the babies before they are 3 weeks old can harm them so it is best to wait even though it will be very tempting as they are soooooooo cute but it is best to keep their health top of the list at around 5-6 weeks you will need to sex and seperate them as they can start breeding

but most of all enjoy them and post loads of pictures good luck
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifiwasahamster View Post
HELLO AND CONGRATULATIONS

first degus are pregnant for 3 months they start showing in the last month it is advisable to separate the male during or just after her giving birth as they can mate again and it can be harmful for her to get pregnant straight away you will need to make sure that the babies cannot fall of anything in the cage as they are up and about in no time mom will do the rest of looking after the babies they make great parents just make sure she has plenty to eat and drink nearby i wouldnt mess with the bedding just make sure they have plenty to make the nest

handling the babies before they are 3 weeks old can harm them so it is best to wait even though it will be very tempting as they are soooooooo cute but it is best to keep their health top of the list at around 5-6 weeks you will need to sex and seperate them as they can start breeding

but most of all enjoy them and post loads of pictures good luck
Thanks. =] It'll probably be a month or so before she has the babies but I promise to post pictures right away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

you should also know that if they have a hammock in the cage, you might want to cut up an old shirt into some like 8x8 squares (one or two will work) as pregnant degus tend to rip down the hammocks and drag them to their babies.. Other than that a small amount of a mineral block in the water wouldnt be that bad of an idea either. and make sure that if she gives birth on one of the higher levels of their cage that you VERY CAREFULLY move the babies to the lowest level and try to make them and their mom comfortable.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 08:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokuhaku14 View Post
you should also know that if they have a hammock in the cage, you might want to cut up an old shirt into some like 8x8 squares (one or two will work) as pregnant degus tend to rip down the hammocks and drag them to their babies.. Other than that a small amount of a mineral block in the water wouldnt be that bad of an idea either. and make sure that if she gives birth on one of the higher levels of their cage that you VERY CAREFULLY move the babies to the lowest level and try to make them and their mom comfortable.
Well how would I move them (if it isn't safe to touch them for three weeks)?

Tags
degus, pregnancy