Injured? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Exclamation Injured?

Hi,

My lone degu Jerry got in with the other two overnight (sneaky). i assume they did a lot of fighting and now jerry (and raisin to a point) are very lethargic. he's not really moving around much, or eating but has managed to eat a treat. raisin is a bit more active and has eaten and drunk, but jerry doesn't look so good.

I can't see any visible wounds at all, except for a bit of blood around jerrys ear and a possible small scratch on raisins eye.

are they just tired from all the fighting? i have on idea what happened as i was asleep. or is it possible there is something worse with him?

Incidently, i think jerry won, cos he was in their bed this morning! and rum just keeps playing with the wheel! he's fine!

any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 07:55 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't think fighting alone would make them lethargic, degu's normally become lethargic for a few reasons, normally its the first sign something is wrong or they don't feel right and it is odd both are the same, is there anyway one or both have fallen? As a fall could make them become lethargic and cause the symptoms you are seeing. Also "real" degu fights tend to be very very rough so any injuries could be internal rather than external which is something to bare in mind. Keep Jerry warm and try to get him to take some fluids see how he goes today to see if it is tiredness from the fighting and if there is no improvement i'd get him checked out by a vet. Please keep us posted and give them all a tickle from me

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 08:03 AM Thread Starter

its possible they fell, the cage has several levels.

I'm hoping its nothing internal!!

he had a drink and a treat earlier, and is dozing now, but he's moved around a bit. i'm keeping a very close eye and giving him lots of hugs and hot water bottles!! i'll call the vet if there is no real improvement this afternoon!

i wish i knew what happened in the cage over night. jerry couldn't get back to his bit, so he was stuck with two against one really.

raisin seems to have improved and is back in the cage with rum. he seems fine now.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 08:11 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

At a guess i'd say they have fallen maybe Jerry took the brunt of it and it has taken it out of him, if he's had a drink and taken a treat then i'd keep a close eye on him for now and see how he improves as the day goes on and ask your vet to see what they think

Kirsty

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

He's just had a little wonder around, and looks a bit stiff and achy.

i think you could be right, its either a fall or some bruising from his fights maybe.

i'll still keep a close eye on him as he still isn't 100%.

and the question is, now they've gone through all this sorting out of male dominance thingy, do i put him back in with the other two. it would be a shame for it to have all been for nothing!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 12:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Glad to hear he is feeling a little better

As for your question, well had they stopped fighting when you found them? If they had i might have left them together and watched them closely for a day or two and see how things went on from there but if they hadn't then i wouldn't continue risking it. It sounds like Rum doesn't have a problem and it was probably just between Jerry and Raison but you said Jerry was in their bed so he must have felt comfy enough to sleep there with them around so it is a hard one to judge but i'd probably try them together and see how you get on and at the first sign of any major fighting remove Jerry again. Hope he's back to his chirpy little self in now time

Kirsty

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

hes definitely a bit spritelier now! he ate another treat. glad he's had something to eat at least.

they had stopped fighting when i came downstairs, which i think is very positive. my boyfriend says that everytime i try to introduce them together, i seperate them too quickly because they are fighting, and never give them the chance to "get it out of their systems". maybe it was a good thing this all happened if they can all get on together!

i think i'll give him a day on his own to recouperate and make sure he's okay and its nothing serious, and then i'll put them together again.

thanks for the advice.... watch this space.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-26-2005, 06:04 PM

I havent been on for a few days! Hope he is ok?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 06:19 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H
hes definitely a bit spritelier now! he ate another treat. glad he's had something to eat at least.

they had stopped fighting when i came downstairs, which i think is very positive. my boyfriend says that everytime i try to introduce them together, i seperate them too quickly because they are fighting, and never give them the chance to "get it out of their systems". maybe it was a good thing this all happened if they can all get on together!

i think i'll give him a day on his own to recouperate and make sure he's okay and its nothing serious, and then i'll put them together again.

thanks for the advice.... watch this space.
Glad to hear he's eaten a little, give the little guy a tickle from me and sending him lots of healing vibes from me and my boys

Your boyfriend is right in a way but "real" degu fights are serious and are the mean business kinda fights and you did the right thing stopping them if they was serious. If the fights they was having before was the kind that resolved after a few seconds then stopped and everything was like ok again then you leave them together if they were the ones that went on and could cause serious injury then its always best to remove all parties. With the sounds of it either through the fighting sorting it all out or the two main parties being exhaustered or bashed up they had stopped fighting and they might have made progress in living together. The only thing you need to be aware of now is that you removed Jerry from the equation again so it could start all over again when you go to introduce him to the others so they will need a very close eye keeping on them. Goodluck and keep us posted on how they get on

Kirsty

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-27-2005, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Jerry still looked pretty poor today, and i made a vets appointment for this evening. he didn't eat or drink all day so I'm glad i did it this morning. after the whole problem with ben, i didn't want to wait too long. better to be safe...

anyway, the vet checked him over and checked his heart and breathing, and said there didn't seem to be much physical damage. she gave him a rehydrating injection and painkiller, as she thought he was probably just badly bruised, but he was quite dehydrated after two days, and the vet though this was hindering his recovery! we got back about 1hour ago, and already he seems a bit better, he is running around the sofa, which he hasn't done for the last two days. I have to go back if anything changes by fri pm. i currently optimistic though. i've given him another warm water bottle and letting him chill out and recover from the nasty vets trip

I'm also reassured about my relationship with jerry. as soon as the vet put him down, he ran to me, and when we got home and i let him out of his carry case, he snuggled up on my arm against my hand. i think it reassured me more than him! it was really lovely

I will put jerry back with r&r as soon as i can (assuming he's okay), as it seems a shame to waste the whole experience, especially as it seems they possibly resolved the dominance thing. I will defintely wait until i'm sure he's okay though. i really always wanted him to get on with the others, but i think this whole thing confirmed my fears about what would happen if i didn't intervene between the fighting. Unfortunately i have no idea how bad the fighting was, as it all happened overnight. but saying that, there was virtually no blood or scratches this time!!
i wish i hadn't had to remove jez from the equation, but i'd rather he was healthy and living on his own, than leave him in there and him have gotten worse.

Thanks for the advice... again.... i always seem to have questions for you guys. Your replies and advice are really valued!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Jerry isn't looking good again today. i'm not feeling to good about the whole thing. i can't figure out what could have happened in that cage to make him so ill.

i'm taking him to the vets again tomorrow, but i'm not holding much hope any more.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy H
Jerry isn't looking good again today. i'm not feeling to good about the whole thing. i can't figure out what could have happened in that cage to make him so ill.

i'm taking him to the vets again tomorrow, but i'm not holding much hope any more.

aaaaawwww i'm so sorry to hear that, Jerry is in my thoughts

Kirsty

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2005, 08:08 PM

Poor little guy, I hope he is ok, tell us how you get on at the vets..
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 07:21 AM Thread Starter

Went to the vet again last night. he gave him another rehydration injection and antibiotics because he thought he found a possible chest infection or something wrong with his breathing. i'm not sure how/if this is related to the fight. we have to give him antibiotic drops in his mouth for the next few days (any hints?).

he has however been more active over the last 12 hours than he was on tues/wed/thurs so i'm slightly encouraged. he also seems a bit more interested in water and food, although he's still not eaten anything. i've seen him have a tiny amount of water, and he picked up a treat from his food bowl this morning. he didn't eat it, but its the first time hes actually looked in his food bowl for over 4 days. i'm encouraged, but still worried about him.

he is getting lots of hot water bottles, which he loves. if he still has no improvement by monday, and still isn't eating or drinking, i have to take him back to the vets again.

i was really upset about the whole thing the other day. it reminded me so mich of what happened to ben, and he was so ill, i was sure he was going to die, or the vet was going to tell me bad news. i really hope he starts getting better thsi weekend. fortunately, i was off work ill all of last week and the will be for the whole of next week so i can keep a good eye on him, and make a fuss of him.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2005, 06:46 PM

Give him a big hug from me and my gang.. I hope he continues to improve..

Tags
food bowl