interested in a degus... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

interested in a degus...

since my newt olivia passed away, and edward a few months before that, I now only have 3 aquariums (used to have 5) and I have mom's "ok" to get another pet to fill the void in my life. my mom doens't like rodents, she's very steriotypical about pets. you know "a dog would smell" she is now in love with our second dog, and was very much in love with the first one. "the birds will smell, no rabbits either" well guess who actually likes the birds and rabbits? so now she thinks that a hamster, gerbil, rat, ferret, mouse, hedgehog, and every other rodent shes ever heard of will smell and be dirty like new york street rats. no use reasoning with her ( I love her to death anyway) but since she's never heard of degus ( we cant get them around here) I think I have a small chance of talking her into it. so ive been doing reserch about housing, feeding, yada yada... and I think it would be a good addition for the family (my family of critters that is) so what all the mumbo jumbo sums up to is that I need you guys to say a whole bunch of good stuff about degus, like that they dont smell and steriotypical stuff like that.
thanks for your help!!
Robin
(pictures would be great to, so she can see just how cute they are )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:34 PM

Red face

Hi Robin, I personally think degus are the ideal pocket pet! They are very intelligent, fun to watch and adorable.. Mine live in a cage, but they can be kept in glass aquariums..
The only thing you really need to know is that they are prone to diabetes, so you must avoid giving them sugary foods.. With time you get to know what is good and what is not for them..
There are some great threads about foods etc on this degu forum, so just have a quick look on here, if you havent already.....

Here is a link to a degu website..
http://www.degu.co.uk/

I dont need an excuse to post piccies of my little degus, so here are a few..

This is their cage..

This is my only male Jimmy..

One of his sisters Denny..

A pic of all 5..

Just a cute pic..

Good luck and keep us informed!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 06:44 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degu's make fantastic rewarding pets, they give back as much love as you give them if not more

They don't smell and don't require too much cleaning out just a quick tidy up once a week and a major clean out once every few weeks. For small animals they do require a lot of space and I don't advise keeping them in tanks for a few reasons one mainly being ventilation although a tank could be adapted with a cage space added on as would make a great digging pit! In my opinion though they are much better in cages, ideally 2-3 storey chinchilla cages where they have plenty of room to run about. You should also look to getting a pair of degus or more of the same sex degu's as degu's love company and get lonely if kept alone so always aim for two or more. They are very social and communicate vocally to each other and to you once your trusted and can be pretty noisy at times chattering away to each other but its lovely to hear and be part off. They are also diurnal so they will be up and around in the day unlike a lot of rodents that are nocturnal so you will see a lot more of them. They require a frugal diet so they aren't a pet to be spoilt but aslong as your fine with that they are pretty easy to care for but they do require a lot of attention and are attention seekers but once you let a degu in they are there for life i would never be without my boys now As for cute pictures i have hundreds but heres a couple for now

Here is a picture of two of my boys Bertie and Herbie:

And Herbie sprucing himself up, they look so cute when they wash

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 06-06-2005 at 06:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2005, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

thank you sooo much guys, I'll show this to my mom and dad and hope for the best!!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

I have a few guestions about degus...
you said that they talk, how loud do they get? in terms of birds; finches, budgies, or tiels? how long do they live? are they friendly, will they ride around on your shoulder like a rat or do they just like to be held like a hamster? if you set it on the ground, will it run away never to be found or will it just look around for a bit and they come back to you? is it best to get two males, or two females? do they make any sound at night, like walking around or talking ( I'm not sure what you would call it in degus terms) also how expensive are they usually? thats all for now, I'm sure I will have more questions later! thanks for your help!!
Robin
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamys_mom_1990
I have a few guestions about degus...
you said that they talk, how loud do they get? in terms of birds; finches, budgies, or tiels? how long do they live? are they friendly, will they ride around on your shoulder like a rat or do they just like to be held like a hamster? if you set it on the ground, will it run away never to be found or will it just look around for a bit and they come back to you? is it best to get two males, or two females? do they make any sound at night, like walking around or talking ( I'm not sure what you would call it in degus terms) also how expensive are they usually? thats all for now, I'm sure I will have more questions later! thanks for your help!!
Robin
They are not that noisy, they just squeak to each other.. They will ride on your shoulders (see my pics I posted), they do like escaping so you will need to be on the alert..They are friendly, live for anything from 5- 10 years onwards.. I have 4 females and one male, and find that both sexes are friendly.. They get used to how you live, so if you keep their room dark at night they will normally sleep.. Regarding expense, my first 2 cost me 9.95 each, so thats about $20..
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 05:50 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with Steph totally! Both sexes are equally friendly, they are diurnal so normally live with your life pattern, so if you are around in the day they are up and about normally taking the odd nap but i have known degu's to become nocturnal one of mine is semi nocturnal but for the most part they are diurnal but will fit into your life pattern. They like to ride round on your shoulder well when not trying to escape and aren't over keen on being held as far to wriggly for that and have way too much exploring to do. They love to be let out so thats a must in a nice safe room and they normally have a run around and then come back to see what your doing and they are incredibly nosey. As for noise they tend to be pretty quiet at night as they tend to sleep but they do make some noise when squabbling etc.... and some degus tend to wheep which is a low pitched whistle. I'd say its about the noise of a budgie chirping some make more noise than others but its not anything you can't live with. They live for anything between 5-10 years like Steph said but anything below or above that is possible, i read about a woman once with one she said was 15 years old but it is all down to breeding and how good the animals genetics are, like any animal there are exceptions. They are extremely friendly once they know you and are used to you, they can be shy around strangers but once they get used to people they are fine

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I agree with Steph totally! Both sexes are equally friendly, they are diurnal so normally live with your life pattern, so if you are around in the day they are up and about normally taking the odd nap but i have known degu's to become nocturnal one of mine is semi nocturnal but for the most part they are diurnal but will fit into your life pattern. They like to ride round on your shoulder well when not trying to escape and aren't over keen on being held as far to wriggly for that and have way too much exploring to do. They love to be let out so thats a must in a nice safe room and they normally have a run around and then come back to see what your doing and they are incredibly nosey. As for noise they tend to be pretty quiet at night as they tend to sleep but they do make some noise when squabbling etc.... and some degus tend to wheep which is a low pitched whistle. I'd say its about the noise of a budgie chirping some make more noise than others but its not anything you can't live with. They live for anything between 5-10 years like Steph said but anything below or above that is possible, i read about a woman once with one she said was 15 years old but it is all down to breeding and how good the animals genetics are, like any animal there are exceptions. They are extremely friendly once they know you and are used to you, they can be shy around strangers but once they get used to people they are fine
I read about the lady who had one that was about 15 years old too Kirsty!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 12:47 PM

Mine like to ride on my shoulder, but every now and then they will pretend they are a sugar glider! =P Oh and they LOVE sweatshirts, ya know the pocket in the front that you put your hands, they LOVE riding in that with their head hanging out! Mine are quite noisey when together, but nothing extermely loud. And I have lost mine, well kinda.. they seemed to ALWAYS escape their first cage and sometimes they would be out all day while I was at school(7 hours) and I'd come home and they'd be sitting in my room. So I never "lost" them, they always come back. One of them knows his name very very well and will come to it when called. And they like to rub their nose on mine, I love that!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoTink
Mine like to ride on my shoulder, but every now and then they will pretend they are a sugar glider! =P Oh and they LOVE sweatshirts, ya know the pocket in the front that you put your hands, they LOVE riding in that with their head hanging out! Mine are quite noisey when together, but nothing extermely loud. And I have lost mine, well kinda.. they seemed to ALWAYS escape their first cage and sometimes they would be out all day while I was at school(7 hours) and I'd come home and they'd be sitting in my room. So I never "lost" them, they always come back. One of them knows his name very very well and will come to it when called. And they like to rub their nose on mine, I love that!
I think mine know their names too!
I have come home from work before to find a degu running around the dining room, it was Jimmy when he was in his old cage, while he recovered from his neutering op, I couldnt work out how he escaped, until I realised he had worked out how to push the roof up and get out! He did that again a few months ago, he got out of an inch gap in the old cage, and this had to be replaced with the new cage!

Tags
sugar glider