Introducing Degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-13-2005, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Introducing Degus

As some of you know I've been interested in getting a third degu for a while. However, they aren't common here and so I never was able to find any (except an adult male). Well, today at the exotics petstore they had a bunch of baby degus! They were very young and there were about 10 so I'm sure there's at least one female .

I bought my original degus there a year ago and they are very sweet with no health problems whatsoever. I've never gotten an unhealthy animal from this store and they take awesome care of their animals. The babies seemed very healthy and friendly and well...I'm thinking of getting one of them .

Only thing is, I've never done degu introductions before. I've read about them and everything but figured I could get better advise from people who have actually done it .

My current two degus, Hikaru and Ichigo, are about one year old. They are both female and have great temperments. But I'm still rather worried.

Also, the babies are very small (like mouse-sized) so I was wondering if it'd be ok to use a hamster cage at first before I put them all together? I'm asking because I have a large, two-level hamster cage that I could use. It seems sturdy enough, but I'd like to make sure.

How long does it usually take until you can put them all together? Where should I introduce them? I was thinking of introducing them in the bathtub as it is neutral grounds. Would that be ok? Do they usually fight at first? How do I know when to seperate them?

Oh, and don't worry, if they don't get along then I'll just buy another cage and another degu and house the babies seperately . But I hope it doesn't come to that.

Thanks in advance

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You have two things on your side, one is that they are females. Females tend to be a lot easier to introduce then males are. And two the new ones will be babies and adults take to babies a lot easier than adults. It will take about a week before you can start introductions and in this week its a case of scenting them so they all smell the same, so let them use the same sand and handle them with gloves on etc.... Anything that introduces one anothers scent to each other. Also make sure the cages are next to one another so they can see and smell each other and get used to one another and you can also check out the body language between them so you can also see how they are getting along. The bathtub should be fine as its a neutral space and means you can confine them to one area and see how they get along. As for the fighting if it should happen (again you can tell a lot by looking at their body language and the noises they make) it should only last a matter of seconds anything longer then seperate them and keep on with the scenting process and try again a few days later. As they are females they should hopefully get along fine with little to no problems. I've introduced degu's a few times but its been males (which is harder due to dominence issues) but if i can help you in any way don't hesitate to ask

As they are babies a two tier hamster cage will be fine for the short term as long as its gnaw proof

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 04:29 PM

Thumbs up

I agree 100%
One more tip though, before you buy the little girl you might want to check for yourself to make sure she's a girl because a lot of petshops don't really know how to sex Degus. Even if you trust your petshop, just check your girl's private area to see what it looks like first before you go to the petshop, and compare it to the girl you buy. There should be NO space between the 2 private parts.
Good luck with your girls and I'm sure the introduction will go fine!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 05:43 PM

Congrats Steph, great advice from Kirsty and Kandy.. Look forward to seeing pics soon!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Thank you so much! I'll do all that .

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
I agree 100%
One more tip though, before you buy the little girl you might want to check for yourself to make sure she's a girl because a lot of petshops don't really know how to sex Degus. Even if you trust your petshop, just check your girl's private area to see what it looks like first before you go to the petshop, and compare it to the girl you buy. There should be NO space between the 2 private parts.
Good luck with your girls and I'm sure the introduction will go fine!!
Yeah, don't worry, I'll check. Though I do trust them, I always check to be sure .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:38 PM

Good It's better to check and be sure before you get them than to end up with babies 3 months later!! Good Luck!! I look forward to seeing some pics too!!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-14-2005, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy
Good It's better to check and be sure before you get them than to end up with babies 3 months later!! Good Luck!! I look forward to seeing some pics too!!
Thanks

~Stephanie

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Update: I'm getting her tomorrow!!! I'm so excited! :blob2:

~Stephanie

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 05:55 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Update: I'm getting her tomorrow!!! I'm so excited! :blob2:
Make sure you post some pics!!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-15-2005, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
Make sure you post some pics!!
I will once she's settled .

~Stephanie

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 05:41 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Can't wait to see her

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 02:19 PM

Hope all goes well - I'm looking forward to pics too!
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Well, I got her today . She's very scared right now but I promise I'll take some pics when she comes out of hiding!

She's very sweet but quite nervous. But all baby degus seem to be like that at first .

Baby degus are so cute .

The manager at the petstore gave me a discount on her...maybe because I buy all my supplies there, lol.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 08:19 PM

Congrats Steph, look forward to seeing her pictures..
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-16-2005, 09:33 PM

Congrats!! Do you have a name for her yet?
Our pet shop always gives us discounts too. It's probably because we've bought 4 Chinchillas and 2 degus from them already and we're there buying things at least once a week! It's nice to get discounts when you have to buy for degus because they can be expensive, as we all know!

Tags
baby degus, hamster cage, hermit crab, hermit crabs, pet shop