Introducing a male degu pup to a male adult degu. Any Advice? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Introducing a male degu pup to a male adult degu. Any Advice?

Sadly, One of my degus (Lightning) passed away yesterday at the age of 3 due to a possible stroke, leaving his brother (Crash) on his own. Both of my male degus got on well up until the age of around 6 months then sadly, they started fighting i tried to re-introduce Crash and Lightning a number of times but, although they sometimes spent the odd night together, snuggled up in the hay, they always ended up fighting, leading to nasty cuts and wounds. So i decided to split them up in separate cages, switching the cages between them each day. I realized that the fighting was mainly due to territory reasons so i made sure that they saw each other frequently out side of the cage. And they seemed to get on well. Anyway, now that Crash is alone I feel that he needs to have another degu to spend his time with. I understand that male degus are hard to introduce to another male degu. However is this the same story with a male pup? I am thinking of buying a new, male pup as it would be easier to tame and I understand that it easier to introduce a pup to an adult. But when it grows up, will the pup try to be 'the alpha degu' and start to fight? I don't really want a female degu because I don't want to start breeding degus and i don't want Crash to go through any unnecessary operations.

What would be the best thing to do? Any help would be much appreciated.

many thanks,
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-30-2011, 05:33 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I responded to your PM, as I saw that first .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-31-2011, 05:17 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

lol ok thanks for your help

Tags
degu pups, introducing degus, introucing another degu, lonely degu, passed away