itchy owner???? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:04 PM Thread Starter

itchy owner????

hi all!

i was just wondered if mites etc that degus get could be transferable to humans?? if so, would they be visible?

i dont want to sound grubby, but i've been itching on my head a lot recently, and i'm running out of ideas!! doc has ruled out fleas/headlice. ive tried special shampoos and i'm quite honestly running out of ideas! i'm living off antihistamines at the mo. i'm also considering stress/allergies (just started a new job).

i've treated the degus with the "spot on" treatment, but theyre still itching a bit, so i'm starting to wonder?

i do shower!!!! honestly!!!

any thoughts??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i dont think mites are normally transferable. but if you tell your doc your degus have mites they could test you. or you call your vet and ask if they are transferable and ask what to do

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i have eczema of the scalp, it never leaves my head. i've had it since i was at least 15, i have a cotrisone cream i put on at bed if it gets unbearable. stress sets it off, so does wet hair after a shower. i so have to blowdry, and use moisturizing conditioners and such. i manage, i have a spot itching right now. you learn to tough through it lol

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:49 PM
Salamander Burgermuffin

have you tried a dandruff shampoo like selson blue? i get a bit of eczema from time to time and my aunt told me to use selson blue instead of body wash when its bothering me (has to be selson blue btw)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Will It Ever Change?

i used to use nizoral, man it works good, but its a little expensive
also head and shoulders is nice when you let it sit on your head a hit

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007, 03:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I know this may sound silly but do you get itchy mainly after handling them? Or is it something that is happening all the time?

If you suspect your degus have mites then i would take them to your vets and let him take a proper look as some mites won't respond to spot on and need stronger drugs to kill them. I've personally never had a problem with mites with degus but if you suspect mites you might want to also consider where they are coming from, usual suspect is the hay in 9 out of 10 cases

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 07:46 AM
Adolescent Pup

You probraly have exma (don't know how to spell!) on the head. Does it flake alot? You should probraly try this oilitum stuff which you can get from any chemist, it's really good and soothing.

Vixen

My Zoo!!!

Polo, Pepper, Solo, Bullet, Trigger, Bandit and Gem

About 50 of them

(rats) Ebony and Sotty
(Chickens) Persephone, Penny, Pandora and Pansy
Giant Afircan land snails
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Thats the problem... its not eczema... and i've tried shampoos/head and shoulders already. the doc has discounted that, and there is not flaking scalp!
There is no visible rash/flaking at all!

not, i'm itchy pretty much 24/7! for the last 6 weeks or so!

they girls seemed to respond well to the spot on, but i'll check the hay idea! theyre itching a little, but not badly!

i didnt honestly think it was them but i'm getting desperate for a solution!

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTIONS
s
x
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 01:22 PM
Will It Ever Change?

not to sound like a broken record, but try calming down, have a hot soak in the tub or something. my eczema aside, anywhere on my body will spontaneously itch due to anxiety

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 02:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't think its the degus as you've been keeping them for so long, is, have you tried keeping away for them for a day or two to see if your condition improves? Let the other half care for them Have any of the degus got bare patches? Usually with mites you will notice a bare patch from continual scratching. I think it wouldn't hurt to get at least one of them checked out at your vets just to make sure its not something they could be passing onto you if the problem persists. I really hope you get to the bottom of it

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

thats why i think it comes back to allergy or something.... no bald patches on the degus!

plus... changing jobs is stressful... problem is i thought it would calm down after starting if that were the problem....

THANKS AGAIN GUYS!
Glad to know my little lovelies aren't likely the problem!
NO CHANCE would my other half do a suitable job looking after them! he just doesn't love them enough!
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 11:55 PM

you have dermstascalpits go to the doctor asap
NOT
thats not a real disease but it was funny
I have the same think itching on my head all the time
and I've lost like 50% of my hair allover....
used to be so thick
oh well
You probably just have stress cause if it was something serious there would be hair loss or flakes.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

dermstascalpits? sounds really serious!! my head won't fall off will it?????

Tags
hair loss