I've never heard of a Degu before! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

I've never heard of a Degu before!

Just been looking at the pics, these little guys are soooo lovely!!!

I've never heard of them before!!

Are they sort of like rats?

Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 10:23 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degu's are the best pets and the cutest too

They are like rats only in the fact they belong to the same order rodentia apart from that they differ greatly and are much more like their cousins the guinea pig and chinchilla as they belong to the same sub species cavimorph

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Can't believe I've never heard of them before!

What sort of houses do they live in? Are they nocturnal? They look so sweet!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 10:42 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They are relatively new really over here in the UK. I have been keeping them for around 9 years and when i first got my guys there was little to no information around about them and everywhere i asked apart from one pet store didn't have a clue what they where. But over the last few years i have noticed them grow in popularity and more people keep them as pets now which isn't surprising as they make fantastic pets

They are diurnal and are up and about most of the day taking the odd cat nap here and there, usually retiring at night when you go to bed although they can and do change their rhythms to suit your life. The ideal cages for them are large (ideally tall) solid metal chinchilla cages with plenty of space for them to run and climb around as they are quite agile. They are highly social and it is always best to keep more than one as in the wild they would live in small family groups and they crave company of their own kind. They do make fantastic pets as they are highly vocal (like no other animal i know) and are full of fun and mischief

Kirsty

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 02:16 PM

I'm really interested in these guys, too. I have never seen them in pet stores around me. Are there breeders?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes there are breeders out there although you would probably have to search for them

Kirsty

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-06-2006, 04:57 PM
Adolescent Pup

How long do degus live?

There is no one TRUE way

* Chloe * Jinx * Berry *
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:12 AM

Degu's are super little guys. To me I think they are almost dog like in personality, they talk so much and want to show you fun things they can do.
What most people don't know is they do need a special sugar free diet, though it sounds kind of a hassle at first, it's actually quite simple.
Degu's can live in LARGE aquariums, some people put Aquariums as a base and build mesh toppers for the degu's to climb. They are big chewers so it's best to stay away from plastic. I've been very lucky, my two boys have a plastic bottom caged and haven't nibbled it (thank goodness).

They are not 'cuddly' pets, i find them more gerbil like as they want to explore and play, then sit still.

The only thing I have found kind of icky is they so spray outside of their cage, marking. They can see their urine, and though i don't find it particularly stinky, it's a hassle whiping of the walls.

As always when looking into new pets, read up about them, and if you can find someone in your area who has them, so you can meet them and find out if this animal is right for you.

http://degus.org/english/rozm_.htm
http://www.degus-online.de/english.htm
http://www.degus-online.de/feed.htm
http://www.degutopia.co.uk/
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauren_201
How long do degus live?
4-6 years, sometimes even longer
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-07-2006, 06:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The average life span is between 5-10 years

Kirsty

Tags
guinea pig, pet store, pet stores, sit still