Just got New Baby Degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Just got New Baby Degus

Well, I went to get "food" for my reptiles and the store I normally go to is going out of business. Last day will be Sunday. **** WalMart being built is pushing all the family owned businesses out for need of parking lot space.

They are getting rid of everything and had 2 baby Degus left from a litter of 6. Mommy and Daddy were with them and they all looked healthy. The babies sit in my hand without a fuss. Very well behaved. Mom and Dad were so cute and the babies so cute I had to have one. I couldn't bring myself to seperate them and they seem to huddle with eachother in the cage so I took both babies. Well, looks like some learning about these little fellas. Luckily they knew what food to eat and stuff. Not much more. So I got Chin and GP food.

They are pretty small. Kind of the size of Ex Large Mice. How old are they?

This adds to my little zoo. 2 shelties, Red Tail Boa, Chinese Water Dragon, Prairie Dog, and now two Degus. No names yet.

Last edited by imp pwr online; 02-19-2003 at 03:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:41 PM

They are cuties! Did you have them sex them to amke sure you aren't going to be having babies?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by capnsweets
They are cuties! Did you have them sex them to amke sure you aren't going to be having babies?
They didn't know. But It looks like they are both the same. So they should be both male or female. Is it the same like other rodents? Where the two parts are either close together (female) or far apart(male)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 05:57 PM

They are adorable. I jaust have one question...what exactly is a degu?
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 07:01 PM

The are adorbale they appear to be no more than 8-10 wks. old and even that may be pushing it. I just love them, ours just recently had 6 pups (2 days ago). Dragon, here is the best and unconfusing way to explain what a degu is

the degu does not belong to the order Rodentia (rodents) but to the South American Caviomorpha just as the guinea pig, the chinchilla, the capybara and so on. These species' was taxonomocally removed from the Rodentia and put in a separate, new order a few years ago, the Caviomorpha. For over 100 years and more the Swedish name has been degu. The original scientific name was Octodon cummingi, but have changed to Octodon degu long since.

I hope that helps, they are kind of part of the Chinchilla family if you think about it, but not really (confused ya huh?)
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 08:27 PM

how about....how big does it get? I mean, I've never really seen them before. Are they like Chinchilla sized gerbils or what? I'm afraid I'm just very confused.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:20 PM

Dragon they are slightly bigger than a Gerbil, I tend to people they appear to be like an overstuffed Gerbil
Here are 2 pictures to give you an idea of their size, this is my Benny and Joon a few months ago

~Benny~
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-19-2003, 09:20 PM

Here is Joon
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:23 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Congrats on getting the degus.You will soon find out how vocal they can be.They are just awesome
Quote:
Where the two parts are either close together (female) or far apart(male)?
This is true.I was able to sex all 6 of my babies right after they were born.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

I have been reading up and it looks like they have all kinds of vocilizations. Can't wait. I love it when My PD says hello or reacts to a sneeze or pop can opening
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:39 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

They are very vocal sometimes.Mine were barking like a dog a few minutes ago.
I can't remeber where I found it but their is a site where you can hear the sounds they make it is totally awesome.I wish you lots of good luck with them.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:48 AM

Runt I don't know if this was the site you were referring to about the different degu sounds or not, but this is a page that has alot of sounds on it. I agree they are very vocal, I love all the noises mine make

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/P...egusounds.html
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:52 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Thanks for posting the site.I love to hear them.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 12:50 PM

Angry

Congratulations...and good for you for getting both babies!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-20-2003, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Waggie
Congratulations...and good for you for getting both babies!
I had seen them bofore in stores. I have owned other exotics and bred some of them (sugar gliders, chins, PDs, Cockatoos, Iguanas, Dragons Snakes) But I did not know much about them. They were so cute. And being 2 left of a 6 litter I just didn't want to seperate them. And turns out after reading up they don't like being alone. So it turned out good!

I have been watching them. They are funny. Not too many sounds yet, I have heard a few chirps though

Tags
baby degus, chinese water dragon, guinea pig, prairie dog, red tail boa, sugar glider, sugar gliders