Leaving Degus For Vacation... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 08:46 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Leaving Degus For Vacation...

Towards the end of July I'm going to be going to visit realitives in El Paso and will be gone for three weeks...I've never left my pets for this long . My best friend is taking the house rabbits and I have a neighbor who will be taking care of the dogs but my problem is the degus. My uncle (who recently moved in with us) agreed to take care of them but I'm pretty nervous since degus aren't the easiest animals to handle . I'm afraid they'll escape. Therefore I'm thinking it might be best if they stay in the cage...at least until he's more used to them. I know it's not the best thing but I can't think of anything else . My degus don't let random strangers handle them...especially guys. And even for me they can be hard to catch sometimes. Do you think they'll be ok? I'll be buying a ton of new toys right before leaving and telling my uncle to give them a new toy every couple of days so they stay busy.

That's not the only problem, though. How is he going to clean the cage? In the past I was never gone this long so I could just clean it really well before leaving and it'd be fine. But three weeks is waaay too long for a cage to stay un-cleaned and now I have three degus instead of two. Cleaning the cage would involve taking the degus out and getting them into a carrier. That's not even the hard part. The hard part is getting them back in the cage...as soon as he opens the carrier door I know they'll all jump out at once...probably in different directions . I was thinking of littertraining them so that he doesn't have to actually take them out. Think I can do it in a few weeks? I've read that they will often use the dustbath as a litterbox...will that work? Any tips?

He'll still be able to give them attention...just from inside the cage.

Thanks in advance....I'm pretty stressed out about this.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 09:02 PM

i dont know. sorry i wish i could help you.
good luck
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2006, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Thank you .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 01:19 PM

When we clean out our cage, we put the girls in a hamster cage with treats until it's clean. I'm not sure what your cage looks like, but we are able to use the door of the hamster cage as a ramp to the door of the clean cage when it's open to make sure the girls only have one way to go.

It might help your uncle too if he's wearing gardner's gloves if he needs to handle them. They will protect his hands from their claws and teeth and is soft enough that the degus will not be scared.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLocke
When we clean out our cage, we put the girls in a hamster cage with treats until it's clean. I'm not sure what your cage looks like, but we are able to use the door of the hamster cage as a ramp to the door of the clean cage when it's open to make sure the girls only have one way to go.

It might help your uncle too if he's wearing gardner's gloves if he needs to handle them. They will protect his hands from their claws and teeth and is soft enough that the degus will not be scared.
Thanks .

I used to put them in a hamster cage but they quickly learned how to open the door .

~Stephanie

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 04:43 PM

hmm litter training them will probably be hard to do in a couple weeks, and some degus can be stubborn and not even pick it up. depending on the size of the cage it may be alright to leave it for 3 weeks without cleaning, although it will start to smell bad. i say that because you wouldnt want them to escape, they'll be harder for your uncle to catch cause they prob arent familiar with him like they prob are with you.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 06:41 PM

Yeah, I might just chance not cleaning it for three weeks. Maybe you could show him how to spot-clean just to keep it a bit less smelly? That way, he wouldn't have to take them out. He would have to open the door though; would they run out? I think they'll be fine as long as their food and water is changed regularly. Some spot cleaning would be good though.

Good luck!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinamp
hmm litter training them will probably be hard to do in a couple weeks, and some degus can be stubborn and not even pick it up. depending on the size of the cage it may be alright to leave it for 3 weeks without cleaning, although it will start to smell bad. i say that because you wouldnt want them to escape, they'll be harder for your uncle to catch cause they prob arent familiar with him like they prob are with you.
Yeah, that's what I'm beginning to think . I just will feel bad knowing the cage is going to be so messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
Yeah, I might just chance not cleaning it for three weeks. Maybe you could show him how to spot-clean just to keep it a bit less smelly? That way, he wouldn't have to take them out. He would have to open the door though; would they run out? I think they'll be fine as long as their food and water is changed regularly. Some spot cleaning would be good though.

Good luck!
Spot-cleaning would probably be a good idea, I'll have to see . And they shouldn't run out when he opens the door...they only do that to people they know really well. Rosie will probably climb onto the door but I can't see her jumping down (although she's a bit unpredictable). He has to open the door anyways to give them food and hay.

~Stephanie

Tags
hamster cage, house rabbit, house rabbits, litter train, litter training