Litter Training a Degu? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Lightbulb Litter Training a Degu?

Has anyone ever tried to litter train their Degu? I have seen a cage on ebay that has carpeted ramps and a tile floor, it says that it is meant for litter trained animals. I didn't know if this was actually possible. I know you can litter train cats, rabbits, hamster, etc. What about Degus?

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 06:01 PM

My degus pee in one corner of their cage already, so I suppose it's possible to put a tray there and call them "litter trained".

They still leave their poo everywhere, but it's pretty innocuous. I know some people have had luck training their goos, but since they like to dig so much, I like having a cage with room for litter. If there wasn't room for litter, I'd provide a pan for them to burrow in and kick around
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-05-2007, 10:35 PM

Never tried it myself. My Goos are quite *ahem* "free" with their bodily functions. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 12:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I can't ever see a degu being fully litter trained they like to do it wherever and whenever My boys do tend to have favourite spots usually out of the cage and onto the floor

My goo's all have carpet though and they don't tend to wee on it

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Degus tend to use their dustbath as a litterbox if you leave it in 24-7. So I know some people keep a couple dustbaths in the cage and change the sand every day.

My girls always go in the same corner but I didn't bother with an actual litterbox.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Degus tend to use their dustbath as a litterbox if you leave it in 24-7. So I know some people keep a couple dustbaths in the cage and change the sand every day.

My girls always go in the same corner but I didn't bother with an actual litterbox.
The sandhouses are the cleanest part of my degus cages, they seem to like to keep them clean due to 24/7 usage The only thing i tend to find in there is bits of food they have hidden

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MañasMom View Post
Never tried it myself. My Goos are quite *ahem* "free" with their bodily functions. lol
Haha, ditto. I find myself quite often having to clean the cage inside AND out.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Ok. I though they would be like rabbits and other rodents. I really didn't look at that cage close enough, It was a great cage, all except for the
price...$150+ not including shipping, sorry not in my budget!!! Although I still think I might attempt to litter train, then I can at least say I tried!! Oh well if it doesn't work. I found another really neat cage, you can look under the post galvenized wire, it's under there.

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-06-2007, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

sorry, not under the one called galvenized wire bu the one called what to do with galvenized wire that was my goof!!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 04:43 PM

i love degus...just not the cleaning the cage part...but i am trying degus to go in the litter box..and it is working
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

cool, let us know how it works out, and by the way

Hope you like it here at paw-talk, it's great!

My Second Family:

? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-18-2007, 10:03 AM
rae

my goo has a fave spot however piddles quite freely wherever he likes lol ive read that you can train them however mine have not shown proof of this!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 03:45 PM
Playful Pup

When I finally got their permanent cage (instead of one to keep them in before I got a good one), I noticed that my gus were weeing in the upper corner of a plank on top of their cage... it was wood, so we were worried it might stain. So I got an old chinese takeaway box, mopped up the wee & put it in the box along with some sawdust. Now they wee & (mostly) poo in the box!

One problem I am having, though- when they're out they poo EVERYWHERE. And also 'mark' (leave little wee trails). How do I stop them from doing this?

*~Katie~*

2 Degu boys: Bobby & Niblet :3 :3

Last edited by lilbeyo; 01-06-2009 at 03:46 PM. Reason: got distracted by tv & typed a wrong sentence
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 07:52 PM

i dont really think you can stop them leaving u little presents to clean up when their out mine do the same when out u could try training them outside the cage but dont think it will work but good luck
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 08:05 AM
Playful Pup

gu poo

Thanks for your reply, I think I might try it! Next time I get them out, I'm gonna put their toilet tray out the cage & put it in the area they run around in... I bought them a kind of play-pen that I put in the living room :3

Wish me luck!

*~Katie~*

2 Degu boys: Bobby & Niblet :3 :3

Tags
litter box, litter train, litter trained