lone degu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

lone degu

i went to my local garden centre the other day to pick up a wedding gift for some friends of mine, they also sell animals now normally the animals are very very well cared for and the staff are incredibly well informed, but i noticed in one of the cages there was a lone bereft looking degu, so asked one of the staff about it thinking that if it was female id defintely take her home and introduce her to truffle and podge, but he was male apparently they had been sold a set of females and he turned out to be a rogue male and had got one of the females pregnant. well he had been on his own for at least a week an obviously wasnt very happy about it, so i asked them what they were planning to do with him and they said they were gonna leave him on his own, well this distressed me as they had other males of similar age and they can be introduced if done properly. but the store will only sell in pairs so they wont introduce him to another pair as they wont be able to sell him, which i think is awful. i keep thinking about his little furry face and it upsets me. the other thing that bugs me is if he came wirh a female brood he is obviously a brother and he has mated with his sister which can create all kinds of complications but they seem unaware of this fact. as i said normally they are ever so well imformed about the animals i wonder whats gone wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 12:52 PM

Awww!! Poor little guy! I hope he finds a good home! I'm a sucker for lonely animals, I'd take him for my male if I could! Well I hope everything goes well for him and someone who cares like you finds him and takes him home Best wishes for the lil guy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 12:57 PM

Where in the country is this little fella?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-29-2005, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

birmingham, solihull area. i dont suppose you know anyone with a male who could take him.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 04:16 AM

Not up there i don't. if i was further north, i'd have tried and twisted my boyfriends arm and taken him. So sorry! I hope he finds a good home!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 02:45 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the thought tho, dont suppose there is anyone else out there who might be able to help? he is kinda becoming a personal mission of mine ha ha
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2005, 06:24 PM

That is so sad Tasha! I would love to have him but my Jimmy lives with 3 females and I dont want to split them up.. I really hope he gets a home with someone who will look after him properly? Keep us informed!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 03:44 AM

I'm the same with any degus. i always want to take them home, particularly the ones who just don't look like they are being looked after correctly enough. I saw three in a pet shop once and they were being sold in a cage that was too small with wire floor and wire wheel that their tails could get trapped in. My boyfriend had to drag me out of the shop!

I really wish i could get your degu from birmingham. I hope you find someone for him!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 05:46 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wish i could help as i'm not too far away but i don't really have any room at the moment Do you know how much they wanted for him? As i could ask around my degu friends?

My local garden centre sells pets too and i've often seen lone degu's there but they want top notch price for them as well 50 each so i think that gives a lot of people a shock! I hope he finds a good home?! Every chance is he is gone now as someone will have taken pity on him just hope its someone whose going to look after him properly!

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2005, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

i gonna try and go back and check on him, they sell the pairs at 25 pounds so i guess bit would be 12.50 . i really hope he has gone, hopefully to someone who would understand how unhappy he is on his own and has some nice friends he can play with.

Tags
pet shop