Lone Degus? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Lone Degus?

Okay,as most of you read in another thread,I was offered a pair of degus.Well I just found out one died last night.So I wanna know if degus can live alone and if not,would this lone one accept a new degu? It is quite hard to find degus around here,so if he (or she) has to live alone for along time,how will it affect him?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Well, housing them alone is not usually recommended but s/he would probably be ok if you gave them lots of attention . I'd more worried about how the lone degu is handling losing their buddy .

Degus can definately learn to accept new ones. Females are supposed to be much easier to bond. I've only kept females and it was really easy introducing a new degu to the group.

I would look for another one if possible...the younger the better .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Apparently this degu killed the other...that is what I was told.So I don't know if he (or she) is grieving too much.

It is hard to get/find degus here in Newfoundland,but I will keep my eyes open.

* Lisa *

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 01:15 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

if she killed it i wouldnt get another one, then you have a high risk of her not getting along with the new one, having 2 cages then you have 2 lonely degus and might get a friend for the new degu and then your have 3 and have to socialize the 2 new ones and spend lots of time with the otehr sence it isnt with others and you have so many other animals to spend time with... i think she would be fine on her own if you spend time with her often and get toys and things for her to do

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 01:15 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla_Rat
Apparently this degu killed the other...that is what I was told.So I don't know if he (or she) is grieving too much.

It is hard to get/find degus here in Newfoundland,but I will keep my eyes open.
Oh, ok. Wow, that's pretty bad. I wonder if the degu is male, then? And I wonder if they were in a small cage...

Anyways, do you know how they came to that conclusion? I guess I'm just surprised since although degus sometimes fight it seems rare they actually kill each other...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 06:40 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Firstly i would really think about it before taking on a lone degu, degus are highly social and can easily become depressed from being kept alone which can in some circumstances lead to death, symptoms which someone inexperienced with degus might not pick up on straight away as degus are funny and can hide things. You can introduce both sexes to new buddies but the longer they are alone the harder it is to introduce a new friend to them. Males are harder to introduce to one another then females and introductions can take anything from a few weeks to a few months depending upon the degus.

Are these degus male or female? Its very rare a degu will kill another, its very rare they will fight either. Squabbling usually occurs more between males then females as males are territorial by nature so space issues can cause squabbling aswell as the prescence of a female. I find it odd that one degu killed the other?!?

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-25-2007, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Oh, ok. Wow, that's pretty bad. I wonder if the degu is male, then? And I wonder if they were in a small cage...

Anyways, do you know how they came to that conclusion? I guess I'm just surprised since although degus sometimes fight it seems rare they actually kill each other...
Yeah,I am not sure how they came to the conclusion that the living degu killed the other,but thats what they told me.I am waiting on a reply.

I don't know the sex or anything yet,I am waiting for them to reply back,but I am starting to think twice about taking in this guy.

* Lisa *

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 07:47 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I speak from experience with having a lone degu, he needs a lot more attention then all the others put together and relies on me to do all the things another degu would like to scratch under his chin and behind his ears and he in turn chews my finger like he would another degu. I've tried 3 or 4 times to introduce him to another degu but he's quite anti social, he lived with another degu for 6 months and then decided he didn't like him and kept starting fights and they lived in a huge cage so no territorial problems he just didn't like him Its a big step taking on a lone degu especially as your used to rats and i found a huge difference in terms of care etc... between the two. If you think you can give him all the time and care he needs then go for it, as the bond that will be created between the pair of you will be like nothing you have with any of your other pets and is the best feeling

Kirsty

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
RAT ADDICT

I am not getting the degu...

I got a messege last night,apprently the last degu died too.He got out of his cage and went under the stove and was well...zapped.Thats what I was told anyway.I don't know what happened really.

* Lisa *

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 10:37 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thats awful if its true, poor little thing

Kirsty

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 01:51 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Wow, that's awful .

~Stephanie

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 05:57 PM

sad!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:07 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

it seams kind of odd to me. there shouldnt be anything under the stove to get zapped by, ours has a drawer and the cord is pretty high...

how sad though that it died... maybe they both were sick to begin with and it didnt kill the other and the one got out and just died under the stove

[/CENTER]

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 06:19 PM
Mel

Poor degus.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-26-2007, 09:39 PM

sounds kind of fishy to me..