Losing Weight - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

Losing Weight

I have noticed the past few weeks that our four girls have been losing weight. I'm not sure if it's that they're losing it running on their saucer or that they are not eating their food. We switched their chin pellets and guinea pig pellets but the food dish is always almost empty. The food that we are feeding them is Rydell chin pellets and Oxbow Cavy Cuisine guinea pig pellets which we have purchased in bulk from a local breeder. We used to feed them chin pellets from the Hagen Explosion chin feed and Hartz guinea pig pellets which had a high molasses content. We are also feeding them a different brand of timothy hay but it's always almost gone too!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How old are they? Are they drinking in excess or is the weight loss the only symptom? Also remember that they hoard food away and bury it so just because the food bowl is empty it doesn't mean they have no food necessarily. I think its a case of they are excercising more and they are burning the weight off. Also depending on age they could be reaching a plateau weight wise. I would keep an eye on them over the next few weeks and if you are at all worried get them checked over by your vet

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
How old are they? Are they drinking in excess or is the weight loss the only symptom? Also remember that they hoard food away and bury it so just because the food bowl is empty it doesn't mean they have no food necessarily. I think its a case of they are excercising more and they are burning the weight off. Also depending on age they could be reaching a plateau weight wise. I would keep an eye on them over the next few weeks and if you are at all worried get them checked over by your vet
One pair of sisters is three and the other pair is two. They don't seem to be drinking in excess and the weight loss seems to be the only symptom. I think it is the saucer causing the weight loss, however, I will keep an eye on them. Thanks for your help!

Tags
food bowl, guinea pig, guinea pig pellets, timothy hay