Male degu humping other males. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Exclamation Male degu humping other males.

I have 4 male degus living together, the oldest is the father of the other three, he is about 15 months, two are about 8 and the fourth is about 6. The father, Diego, has been humping the other three. I figured it was normal behavior, but it has become quite violent and frequent. The three younger boys will squish between the wall of the cage and the wheel which is attached to the wall. I tried taking Deigo out of the cage for a little while( he ran in this ball for about 20 min ) and ran his maze a few times, hoping to get rid of extra energy or fustration. But he went right back to it once inside the cage with the three others. The boys have torn Diego's nose open trying to keep him away from their bums.

They seem to be having a bit of an issue right now because I just posted a few days ago about one of my boys with a cataract that just appeared...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:13 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

You have a lot of "teenager" degus in one cage so it might be normal bossy stuff. I can't remember, though, how large is the cage? And does he get any outside time besides a ball and maze?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

The cage is 4 foot by 4 foot by 5 foot high, they have lots of sticks and platforms and such to climb on, the two older boys were a planned breeding but not the younger one. They get out and run around the room and play with the kitty, the room is 8 by 8 and I've taking all cords and other dangers out so they can just run around and play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokidstooyoung View Post
The cage is 4 foot by 4 foot by 5 foot high, they have lots of sticks and platforms and such to climb on, the two older boys were a planned breeding but not the younger one. They get out and run around the room and play with the kitty, the room is 8 by 8 and I've taking all cords and other dangers out so they can just run around and play.
I'd guess this is typical teenager (specifically, male teenager) hormonal behavior, then! It can get nasty sometimes but as long as there aren't major injuries being caused you may have to leave them alone. Use your judgement.

Maybe try a scented dust bath to calm them down a bit (taking dust baths is a bonding behavior and then they'll smell the same, too).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I took Diego out of the cage yesterday morning, I hated to do it but I kept him alone overnight, He is out on the pourch right now with me and my two children. I am going to put him back in the cage in a half hour or so. Hopeing all goes well...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Newborn Pup

Hey my 2 6 month old brothers have suddenly just started fighting. Dobby keeps humping and biting monty really hard, so he squeaks. I took monty out for a few minutes to check he was ok and as soon as I put him in back into the cage it all kicked off again. At the moment Monty has flattened himself to the floor of the cage and is crying really high pitched call. Dobby is sat on the next shelf up. any advice on what I should I do? Really worried about my boys.

Proud Owner of Indie & Brecon, 4 year old kittens.
Juliet & Viola, 2 year old Guinea Pigs.
Dobby & Monty, 1 year 4 month old Degus.
Drogo & Tyrion, 4 month old fancy mice.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Newborn Pup

yeah its called mounting which is just a territorial thing to show dominance
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 09:12 PM
Newborn Pup

Males will hump each other and the females will too. It's just normall.

Tags
degu, humping, hurting, male