Males degus argueing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Males degus argueing

These degus are stressing me out! lol.
So the male degus that we introduced over a month ago are now have boxing matches(they wake me up during night ) like they stand on their hind legs and push eachother, then they jump up in the air and kick the other one and it goes flying across the cage. There's no blood or biting just this very loud rough housing. Should they be seperated?

Laura
-----------------------------------------------
Rehoming Services Montreal Rescue
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Got me one rescued elderly cat(Marc), 2 adorable rats(Paris and Rattikins) and ALOT of spoiled fish:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Naked Dog Mom

Degus enjoy play fighting, which is where they stand on their hind legs and wrestle with each other. But I've never seen one of mine get tossed across the cage while play fighting. It sounds like no one is getting hurt. Yet. But with being thrown across the cage, someone could get hurt.

Apparently I'm no help, because I'm not sure if it's play or real fighting. My boys are too young to have gotten into this yet. My older pair are one boy, one girl, which may be why their play is gentler?

Hopefully someone who has more boys will be able to help you out.

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 06:41 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Sorry I cant help you much either, as I have 4 girls and 1 boy.. But mine sometimes have play fights..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 08:29 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I have 2 boys caged together and they do that alot.My girls scuffle too not as much as the 2 boys but they still do it.I haven't seen them get really rough and they are usually cuddled up together when they are sleeping.
However I have had a father in with the 2 boys upon splitting my pairs and dad got to ruff for the boys and had to be put by himself.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well play fighting turned into rough fighting, then aggresison attacks and squeals so I quickly split them up(i would take out the one that was more of the victim) for a break then introduced them together again but when i did the aggresison was way worse and aggressor bit me very deep when I got inbetween them. Not even spraying water would have seperated them from fighting. So the victim degu came running up my arm from inside the cage and I cuddled him in a blanket for about an hour, he was scared to death and when i bring him into the room, he smells that cage and hides. So now I have to set up another cage which i dont have, so a degu(the aggressive) is in a cat carrier!
This is not my week. I sure hope someone adopts them b/c I'm loosing my patience fostering degus. I mean they got along famously for over a month, cuddily, grooming, etc then all of sudden they just turn(or I should one turned, the other was just defending itself) on eachother.
The poor survior has a patch of fur missing from his face, no other injuries that i saw or felt as he wasa bundled up with me in the blanket. He's so harmless and just cuddled in my lap and let me calmly pet him. Such a darling. Taking the bite for him was worth it.

Laura

Got me one rescued elderly cat(Marc), 2 adorable rats(Paris and Rattikins) and ALOT of spoiled fish:

Last edited by snowyangel; 05-17-2005 at 12:05 AM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I can sympathise totally with you as i've been there and it is stressful as one minute they are getting on ok and the next minute they hate each other and have to be split. I had that with two ones i had, one of my first Jerry lost his friend so i got him a new buddy Basil and they lived together for around two years and they were fine and then oneday they just decided that they hated each other and had a massive fight which i had to stick my hand into and got bitten but i didn't care aslong as they were ok and that was it and they had to be seperated and i got Basil a new friend and they get on fine most of the time And Jerry lived out the rest of his life on his own quite happily

When degu's fight i think its always best to look for the cause as to why are they fighting? I.e is it over food or water? Is it over a certain shelf or perch? These are just two examples theres lots more but to get to the bottom of a fight you need to address firstly as to why they have fought or squabbled in the first place as if you can get to the bottom of that then you might be able to resolve the issue

Can i ask how big the cage was the two male degu's was in together? Also how old are they?

If the cage is too small and they don't have enough room and space so they can be apart and they get under one anothers feet like humans they will squabble as they will annoy one another. The rule of thumb is you need at least one shelf per degu to give them adequate room apart which i know is hard in your position with fostering them so i can appreciate that. The wrestling behaviour which you witnessed was just play fighting and most degu's do wrestle over stuff but there seems to be a fine line between play and real fights with degu's and you got to know where to draw the line. My guess is the fights are over territory and whose going to be top degu and maybe if there is a lack of space this has escalated into fighting as one or maybe both won't back down!

Also are the males near the females?

As this could also cause them to fight if they can smell them as they will fight for territorial rights as to whose going to mate!

You did the right thing seperating them as that was a REAL fight and they do turn nasty very quickly. I hope it all resolves itself soon and that they all find good homes very soon

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Thank you for your understanding
I have seen them squabble over food and si i put food in 2 different areas for them. There's only one den(but a very large one, big enough for guinea pigs) but i did throw an empty kleenex box in there for second fake den.
I think the main reason is there is 2 female degus in the same room, right next to them. But being a fosterer, I keep all my rescue animals in one room or my room mates would kill me if I had animals in every room.
The cage I'm not sure of the measurements but its a small bunny cage. We got them donated with a bunny it. I was planning on going to buy a second shelf to install like i did for my rats cage, but I think the boys will still fight b/c the females will still be there. I'm personally afraid for the lil guy who's scared to death to even be in the same cage. The agression is not split even, its one male starting the fights.

Laura

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd definately keep them parted for now as its more than likely the scent of the females setting them of squabbling and sounds like ones getting bashed more than the other so keep them apart for a while and then try again and see how you get on

Is the cage they are in the same one as in the pictures i saw elsewhere As if so thats plenty big enough temporarily if a few shelves are added? As for creating extra shelves in the bunny cage, you could add things like ferret/rat hammocks that gives them another level (or you could make them out of old t shirts or jeans etc....) you could maybe use some drain pipe (which is pretty inexpensive) and hang them as tubes or make some material tubes again out of old clothes anything so long as they can hide away from each other I find owning degu's brings out the creative side in me as i'm always looking for stuff to make them or give them

Kirsty

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Yes its the same white cage you saw before.
I have long 3 ftpiece of drainage pipe that i could use, just need to find a way to cut it. The dome i have for them is quite high, about half the height of the cage so a shelf might be a little cramped but I'll see what i can do.

Laura

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 01:32 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I used drain pipe and then drilled holes (or you can heat up a screwdriver and melt the holes) and then i used bath chains to hang it on the same principal as my shop brought ones but cost me a lot less to make and mine love it they sit in it and on it, also something simple like a piece of rope gives them a nice perch away from each other. The top of the dome should make a good shelf for them as well I'd keep them apart for a while and then reintroduce them from scratch again in a neutral area and see how you get on, goodluck and keep us posted

Kirsty

Tags
guinea pig, hind legs