might be possibly looking into getting a Degu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

might be possibly looking into getting a Degu

I thought I would ask for some advice and some general info on Degus since there be a possablity of me getting one or two in maybe a year or two. You see I've been looking into getting some new pets for quite a while now and my BF just told me last night that his sister raises and breeds Degu's and if I was interested I could talk to her about taking home one of the babies from her next litter. But I don't know too much about them at all so I thought I would ask and get some info from you all before I looked into it anymore. I am planning on going up to KS to visit my BF this thursday for a week and I am going to talk him into letting me go to Lawerence to see his sister so that I can take a look at her Degu's and just kind of get a feel for what they are like. Hopefully I'll be adopting some, sometime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Degus make the most fantastic pets and if you decide they are the pet for you then you won't regret it I started out with just two and 10 years on i have 10 boys of my own plus i run a small rescue taking in and rehoming when and where i can, i love the little guys and wouldn't ever be without them

Degu Basics, well firstly never get just one always get a same sex pair or group as degus are highly social and crave company of their own kind and to keep one on its own is unfair and a lot of hard work.
Secondly you will need a large cage as despite appearances degus need quite a bit of space as they are rock hoppers and like to hop around. Chinchilla cages tend to be good but always look for one with a solid metal base as degus are chewers and plastic ones don't tend to last 5 minutes. Thirdly is the diet. Degus need a sugar free diet as too much sugar can cause them to develop diabetes which is deadly. A good diet usually consists of either guinea pig pellets / chinchilla pellets (these need to be checked to make sure they are sugar and mollasses free as does all food) and guinea pig mix ideally one with added vitamin C and plenty of hay and dried grasses. There are also ready made degu mixes on the market but non are 100% ideal in my opinion and tend to be ok as a treat once or twice a week. Fresh water is a must daily as well and fresh veggies can be fed a few times each week. Excercise out of the cage is a must once or twice a week at least too

They are just a few basics of degu care, i have care sheets on my website if you follow the link in my signature which will give you a more indepth few of degus and their care

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:01 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Well I think if I do look into getting any of these guys I probably won't be looking into it at least for a while now..just cuz I have a couple of new pets in my place right now and I probably don't have the space for something new as of right now..but hopefully once I get out of school and move up to KS with the BF I can look into something new to play around with. lol though anything could happen between now and then I am sure his sister can help me out with feeding supplies and things I will need to care for em.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:34 PM

Excellent advice there! If you do decide to get some Degus, it's true - you will be forever glad! I fell into owning Degus too, when I was looking for a chinchilla, and it was the happiest accident I've ever had.

These little creatures make WONDERFUL pets if you are willing to put in the time and work. They love to dig, LOVE to climb, enjoy sleeping in hammocks, love running, and will do hilarious things every single day.

There is just nothing like a Degu. You are going to fall in love when you see them!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

lol I will probably fall in love with my Boyfriends little guys when I get to see em this week.

Tags
chinchilla pellets, degu care, guinea pig, guinea pig mix, guinea pig pellets, wonderful pets