More Toys?! (Chin toys?) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

More Toys?! (Chin toys?)

My degus are bored again and I need more toys! I give them all kinds of wood (apple branches, wood houses and caves, bird toys, small sticks) and they gave up on them Now they just bite at the bars of their cage I was wondering if the grey chinchilla chew blocks are ok for degus to have? And do your degus have any toys that mine might like? (they already have wheels) Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 05:38 PM

Do you mean the hard blocks for keeping their teeth down? If so I have them in my cage.. I also have some wooden toys, wheels and anything I feel they will enjoy!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My degus have one of those chinnie chew blocks as well. Mine like the hanging bird toys, especially ones with ropes. Have you tried cardboard tubes? If you stuff them with hay they'll be even more entertained.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Chewing the bars is a sign of wanting attention, one of mine Rupert does it, i can let him out for an hour and when he goes back in he starts back on the gnawing of the bars again (well in between going in his wheel and winding Bertie and Herbie up ). Other toys you could try are rope as they love to climb up it, or you could try toys that make them work for treats as they are very intelligent and like to learn new things. You could also try simulating their natural instincts by making them forage for their food or treats (which will keep them occupied for a few hours), try sprinkling crushed cornflakes or shreaded wheat up and sprinking it on their floor. You could also try a grass box as mine love theirs and again it encourages natural instincts as they would graze in the wild or even a digging pit which comprises of a mix of organic compost mixed in with a little chinchilla sand, warning though you need a very high sided box as they get it everywhere as they seem to love it

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 01:37 PM

What kind of rope can they have, is it the sysil ( i don't think I spelled that right). Is it just normal grass or do they have to have a certain type?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I'm glad I can give them the Chin blocks, I think they'll like that! I've tried the cardboard tubes but they don't seem interested. I've been pondering the digging pit for a few months now, maybe it's time I buy them an aquarium to dig in Thanks for the tips.
I'm also wondering about the ropes and grass as bell asked.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 08:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell
What kind of rope can they have, is it the sysil ( i don't think I spelled that right). Is it just normal grass or do they have to have a certain type?
They do recomend the sizal (sp?) rope but i find that quite rough for their feet so i opted for the cotton type bird rope which is ok as long as they don't try eating it which they shouldn't do and they are quite agile running along it. As for the grass its just normal grass seed planted and left to grow till its long and they seem to love pulling it up and gnawing it down

Kirsty

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-19-2005, 09:10 PM

So just normal cotton rope? My degu loves to chew everything would that be safe to put in her cage? She won't ingest it and it kill her would it?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-20-2005, 09:11 PM

I dont understand the digging pit thing.....would I just buy one of those tiny tiny little aquariums they have at the pet strore the mix some chinchilla mix and compsot in it? all the compost they sell at wal-mart has those little white fertilizer bits.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell
So just normal cotton rope? My degu loves to chew everything would that be safe to put in her cage? She won't ingest it and it kill her would it?
I'm lucky in the fact my boys don't chew their rope up (they just save that for their houses ) so i've never had to worry about that but if you are worried your degu will chew the rope and ingest it then i suggest you go for the sizal rope as thats digestable to some extent and won't cause an obstruction the same way cotton rope would

Kirsty

post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 06:36 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeguLover
I dont understand the digging pit thing.....would I just buy one of those tiny tiny little aquariums they have at the pet strore the mix some chinchilla mix and compsot in it? all the compost they sell at wal-mart has those little white fertilizer bits.
You have two options you either buy a small high sided aquarium or use a old ice cream tub or something with higher sides and add some normal compost (plain without added fertilizer or anything just the plain organic stuff) and mix in a little sand to make it nice and fine just the way degu's like it, its as simple as that

Kirsty

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-21-2005, 05:23 PM

I got one of those balls that hamsters run around in.Tuttle only likes to go down hill.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuttle
I got one of those balls that hamsters run around in.Tuttle only likes to go down hill.
Is that the plastic one? If so beware my degus chewed through theirs and escaped!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
Is that the plastic one? If so beware my degus chewed through theirs and escaped!
I second that. Also, mine figured out how to open them XD. Degus are smart.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
I second that. Also, mine figured out how to open them XD. Degus are smart.
TMy degu does that when I'm not looking.

Tags
bird toys