My degu is an alarm clock! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

My degu is an alarm clock!

I mentioned this in my last post, but this behavior is starting to become increased.

My degu has periods of up to 30 minutes where he squeaks like crazy. It's sharp squeaks (like if you squeezed a squeaky toy) one right after the other. The thing is, this happens every morning at almost EXACTLY 8:30am. He's never off by more than 5 minutes. What's going on?? I can go back to sleep, but you can hear the squeaking from any point in the house (except the basement) so it's disrupting everyone else's sleep. I've seen him when he started up and he literally just starts squeaking out of nowhere. It almost seems like he can't help it because I'll give him his favorite treat (he goes CRAZY for it) and he'll have a hard time eating it because he can't stop squeaking. I might be wrong but it seems involuntary once he gets started. My other degu just goes about his business and doesn't really pay any attention to him when this is going on.

Anyone have any idea why he's doing this, or if there are any ways to make him stop? I'm guessing it's just something we're going to have to live with, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'm open I have lots of family coming to stay in our house soon for Christmas and I doubt they'll appreciate being woken up at 8:30 every single morning. It's almost funny how accurate he is, haha. It does get a bit annoying though...like an alarm clock that you can't shut off.

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

They normally tend to do it when something startles them or upsets them in some way and unfortunately they can go on for hours and i have tried the old giving them a treat trick myself and it never works as they can eat and squeak at the same time Its probably something that you will have to learn to live with i'm afraid as not sure if there is anyway to stop him unless you can find out what exactly is upsetting him?

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 04:53 AM

I've had a similar problem, but tied not to give them the treat as i thought maybe they'd start associating the behaviour with getting a treat... "if i squeak loud enough at around that time... i'll get a treat".

I've often wondered whether they hear something we dont notice so much... a train hooting, a dog barking in a nearby house, the central heating making a funny noise as it goes on? the postman???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm going to stop offering a treat since that isn't working. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably just have to get used to it. Oh well

I'm still confused as to why it happens at the exact time every day though. Maybe he's just weird? Haha, I have no idea. Nothing changes in the environment during this time that would spook him, just a perfectly quiet room. I suppose he could be hearing things that I can't hear but it's still weird.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 05:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
Yeah, I'm going to stop offering a treat since that isn't working. I've resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably just have to get used to it. Oh well

I'm still confused as to why it happens at the exact time every day though. Maybe he's just weird? Haha, I have no idea. Nothing changes in the environment during this time that would spook him, just a perfectly quiet room. I suppose he could be hearing things that I can't hear but it's still weird.
More then likely he is hearing something you can't. How old is he? I've found that when degus are young they do this alot more.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

We're not entirely sure how old he is. His previous owner had him and his buddy for about six months, and his owner before that (yeah, he's been shuffled around, poor guy) apparently had him for "several" months. I would wager to guess that the first owner bought them from a pet store, so I also don't know how long they were there either. They look to be full grown, but I guess I can't tell for sure.

He didn't do this at all during the first week or so of living here and he's started to do it more and more frequently (so every single day now). *shrug*
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 06:05 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorkyChantelle
We're not entirely sure how old he is. His previous owner had him and his buddy for about six months, and his owner before that (yeah, he's been shuffled around, poor guy) apparently had him for "several" months. I would wager to guess that the first owner bought them from a pet store, so I also don't know how long they were there either. They look to be full grown, but I guess I can't tell for sure.

He didn't do this at all during the first week or so of living here and he's started to do it more and more frequently (so every single day now). *shrug*
I'm not really sure what to do, then. Sorry .

He'll probably grow out of it. Maybe you could put a blanket over his cage at night? Like people do with birds?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2005, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

I was actually thinking about putting a blanket over the cage but I was worried about that scaring him more. Do you think it would bother them too much? I'll probably try that tonight, just as an experiment.

Hmm, a minute ago, he just went into another round of squeaking but it wasn't out of nowhere this time. He was trying to "mate" with Jay (the other degu). I had them sexed and they're both males but he just kind of draped himself sideways over Jay and gave it a go (like a dog with a leg). I know it was harmless but I stuck my hand in and gently seperated them because I kind of felt bad for Jay. After that he started to clean himself and then started doing the squeaking. Haha, now I have no idea what to think. Maybe he's frustrated

How ironic that I named the degu Silent Bob.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd be beware of putting a blanket over as knowing degu's they are more than likely to shread it in the night and your once nice blanket will probably be lining their nest come morning

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 12:47 PM

i was thinking to maybe try the blanket idea, it just might work but they may shred it. but hey at least you have an alarm clock
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Haha, yeah, at least I know I won't oversleep.

I didn't put a blanket on the cage last night but when he started squeaking at 8:30, I put my bathrobe over the cage in a sleepy attempt at calming him down. It didn't do anything at all so I just let him get his squeaking out and get done with it. I've told everyone in the house about it and how there's nothing I can do so they just stick their heads under their pillows until "Silent" Bob quiets down.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 07:20 PM

Mine sometimes do that when they want a treat! As if, "hey Mum we want a treat, or have you forgotten us?"
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-20-2005, 08:50 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I suggested the blanket because I had a rabbit who used to dig like crazy in her cage when the sun rose since she wanted to come out. The blanket only worked for a couple of days, though, lol.

If you talk to him does he stop? Sometimes when Rosie is spooked at night all I have to do is go over to the cage and talk to her and she stops squeaking.

~Stephanie

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-21-2005, 08:12 AM Thread Starter

I've tried talking to him really calmly but no dice Surprisingly enough, I woke up at 8:30am this morning in anticipation of the squeaking but he didn't even do it. Haha, I think he's got me trained now!
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-30-2005, 11:21 PM

Why not try putting him in another room out of sight of his normal surroundings but near enough to still smell your existence. Perhaps, the sun comes up, or away, from a room that he wants to be in, or away.

Tags
pet store