My Degu just had babies! ^.^ - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Talking My Degu just had babies! ^.^

They are adorable. I believe there is 3 of them, I can't quite tell though since they are all bundled up in a little nest. I have this soothing forest music playing in my bedroom for my little goos to relax the mom and dad.

If you can tell me or guide me to a site for any special care for the babies or the mom or anything, please let me know ASAP. I really appreciate it. ^^

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 03:21 PM
Will It Ever Change?

wow! congrats!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thank you. ^^
I'm so happy. I'm a grandma now. xD

I had tears of joy when I saw the babies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 06:29 PM

awww....congrats!!

You should take pix if you can!! Degu babies are sooo sweet.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:21 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I've never raised baby degus so I can't offer much advice but congrats!!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2007, 11:35 PM

wow cuteness
we want pics
we want pics
so are you gonna keep them
whats your plans
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 05:00 AM

omg...dats so cool...my degu is due babies in just under 2 weeks...i cant wait ...try and get pics of them when they are a bit older....awwww congrats on the babies...soz dnt no of any sites but if i do ill be sure to tell you....xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xx
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:36 AM

Congratulations! We're expecting a litter of pups VERY soon, too. I'm so jealous! I want to see those little critters that have been partying inside Lilly's belly for days now.
There is lots of info on pups out there. I think I learned the most on Degutopia.com. DeguWorld and DeguRock have forums with lots of experienced degu parents, too.
Good luck to you and enjoy your new family!
Laurieb
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 07:52 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I wouldn't worry too about special care as they will be up and about in days and mum will take care of them. All you need to do is sit back, relax and enjoy them and take lots of pictures

Is dad still in with them? If so you should think about removing him asap to prevent breedback, he can be put back in a few days but its wise to remove him after birth to prevent another pregnancy as it doesn't do mum any good. One more thing i know its going to be hard to resist but try not to handle the babies too much till they reach the 3 week mark as research has shown handling in the first 3 weeks can cause some brain malfunctions in later life so its always better to be safe then sorry. Once the first few weeks are up its safe to start handling them to get them tame. You will need to sex them and seperate (if needs be) at the 6 week mark but apart from that there is little you need to do apart from enjoy them

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'll try to get as many pictures as I can. ^^

Bonzi, the dad, is not with them. He's in a separate cage. He doesn't like it at all and Baby doesn't like it at all, but it's for their own good. xD

There are actually 5 of the little furballs. Which, to me, is more believable than only 3. Baby (the mom) is small though, so it's a wonder how they all fit in her...

I would LOVE to keep them all. But it's all up to my mother.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurieb
Congratulations! We're expecting a litter of pups VERY soon, too. I'm so jealous! I want to see those little critters that have been partying inside Lilly's belly for days now.
There is lots of info on pups out there. I think I learned the most on Degutopia.com. DeguWorld and DeguRock have forums with lots of experienced degu parents, too.
Good luck to you and enjoy your new family!
Laurieb
can you get a pic real quick before she has them i want to see what a pregnant degu looks like
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 03:11 PM

I have tried posting here, but had no luck. If you go to Degu_Rock in the photo section titled Lilly's Pregancy Pics, I have some posted there.
Laurie
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:26 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

awww congrats

can't wait to see pic's

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 05:58 PM

Degu Babies

My degus had 4 babies 3 weeks ago. You don't have to do anything but put extra bedding and timothy hay in there and leave them alone. The mother takes care of them and makes a nesting area. They run around within a couple of days. I have 4 babies and am looking for a home for them. I am in NJ.

Tags
baby degus, timothy hay