My degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Question My degus

Hi everyone it has been a while since I posted but i have a question I have 5 girl degus I would like to put together I have tried vanilla bath and short intrevals with each other and it always ends badly and I dont want them hurt. I have three in one cage(one half of two story ferret cage) and two in the othe half would like to see them all togeter. So this is my question What if I split one half for a month or so and put one group on one side and one on the other ? Would this bring them together? Get them used to one another? Any suggestion would help me from some one who knows alot more than me. Or would this possibly cause problems? With temperment and such . They are all under a year very spoiled and fed the right things, They are my babies.

Also one more thing does anyone have a diabetic degu? If so does their pee have a sweet nasty smell to it. I rescued a boy/girl from a pet store I went for the boy and when I saw the girl had cataracts and was with no other I could not leave her. So she is home with me and they are in a cage together. I wont separate them no matter what. If she dies I will get anothe male. she seems to be doing well though she eats well and drinks good and exercises on the wheel. But is kind of skinny. I am hoping she will plump up some. my son is already attached to her. he calls her his baby lol. So I hope she stays well I know if diabetes is what she has it cant be reversed but it can be managed with proper diet right? Well My book will draw to a close now any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2006, 05:39 PM

I have been trying for over two months to get my degu to accept two younger sisters into one happy cage. Nothings working. The 2 degus are willing but the older one refuses. Just yesterday, I let a younger one walk on the outside of the older ones bars. She got her toes bit. She is fine, but I give up. I must accept having two cages, I suppose.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 12:30 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've introduced boys before and they are fairly difficult to introduce and girls are supposed to be slightly easier due to group instincts but from what i have heard they can sometimes be as stubborn and difficult as the boys. It takes time and patience to introduce new degu's to one another and sometimes it does take more than one try as it doesn't always work out the first few times but if you give it time and a lot of patrience and effort it can work out and only after a lot of trying i would give up. The only problem you really have is that you have two seperate established groups both of which are bonded to each other and you are trying to add another bonded group to that so either group could see that as an intrusion and cause a fight to occur. Its alway harder to introduce established groups to one another than single degu's as in your case you have 5 degus (3 and 2 of which are already bonded) who you have to try and get to all like each other.

Your idea is a very good one and one i suggest so they pick up the smells of one another and start smelling simular. Another suggestion i would use as well is instead of vanilla sand let them all use the same sand after each other that way they will pick up each others scents and when they are introduced there might not be as much friction between the two seperate groups. Another idea for scenting is the glove method were you wear a pair of gloves and handle each group seperately and run your hands over them picking up their scents so when you handle the other degu's you transfer that scent onto them. I would swap the cages round every week for a month or so and use the sand idea as well and the glove idea and then try a small intorduction in a neutal area where there is the scent of neither group and if you can let them all out at the same time. There where always be small squabbles between unfamiliar groups but they shouldn't be fur flying fights just small squabbles over leadership etc.... which is to be expected when a new group is formed. If they do fight for real then i would seperate them and start over again with the scenting process and try again a month later. If they still aren't getting on after your fifth attempt then its more than likely its probably not going to happen but i'd never give up as there is always hope

As to the second part of your question. I don't have a Degu with diabetes but Basil my oldest one does have a cataract (he is 5 years old and had it for the last 2 years) which was probably down to bad breeding as i got him from a pet store and he doesn't have diabetes as i had him checked out. Cataracts are also something they are prone too due to bad breeding along their line so just because your degu has cataracts it doesn't necessarily mean she has diabetes also, although cataracts are a symptom but not always connected. Unfortunately diabetes in degu's is fatal and can't really be controlled by diet although i'm sure a good diet does help them. If you are worried about her having diabetes then i would get her checked out by your vet. My only worry for you and her is if she is being kept with a male then it could cause problems for her later on as they might breed and research has shown that degu's with cataracts can suddenly die during pregnancy and i'm sure you wouldn't want that to happen. You could try and put her with the group of two girls as they might accept a singular female easier than the other 3 girls for a start and work on it from there. Goodluck with it all and i hope everything works out for you with the introductions as i know how heart wrenching it can be when you put them together

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Well thank you Amethystbelle and Degu crazy all good advice I have them side by side now and they are making their little noises at each other, Ame that was a good idea next week I will switch sides and let them pick up each others scents. I however have already tried the sand, vanilla and unfamiliar territory. None worked but I think this will. And as for my boy and girl that is how they came I got them from a pet store so that is how I am going to leave them as they are very close and bonded, in the event something happens to her I will get another male to put with him,but she seems to be doing fine eating well drinking well and exercising. Thank you both I appreciate it.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 07:39 PM

Sorry I missed this thread, havent been on for a few days.. How are your degus now? Keep us informed...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

that is fine Purplebunny I hope all is well and my goos are just fine I am going to leave them where they are til next friday and then switch sides refresh there litter but not change it so they get the full scent and then the next friday change litter take down barrier and hope for the best Or maybe It will take longer or even less I guess it will depend on them.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2006, 08:12 PM

Good luck, if you need any more help, just ask?

Tags
doing fine, pet store