My Degus have GONE INSANE! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2006, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

My Degus have GONE INSANE!

Well, I was worried that they weren't settling in - now I'm worried that they are!

I came home for lunch today and they had apparently GONE CRAZY during the 3 hours I was gone. Anything chewable in their cage: DESTROYED. All the shavings were piled in the middle, and the wheel was turned over on one side and separated from its base.

Felix (the pudgy one) is still 'huddling' a lot. He's still very skittish and hides in the corner when the lid is open, but will eventually come out for a treat. Oddly, he's still easier to pick up than Oscar, who keeps roaming. The past two days I could hold them OK - now they're like live wires and start skittering and dashing all over me faster than I can manage to keep a hold on.

I was worried for a time that they didn't know how to jump. Well, Oscar's figured it out today. I was holding Felix and *WHOOSH* out came Oscar, balancing on top of the cage and looking ready to head behind the entertainment center!

I don't know what I've gotten myself into - but I think it's more than I was expecting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 02:23 AM Thread Starter

This situation's actually gone downhill.

They keep pulling their wheel into 2 parts, so I finally took it out. BIG MISTAKE. My goodness - who knew such little creatures could throw such huge temper-tantrums?

They started racing around the cage, throwing bedding everywhere. They were jumping up on the water bottle and trying to gnaw at the cage lid. Oscar (the jumper) kept launching himself so hard at the lid that I thought he was either going to hurt himself or actually manage to punch through the screen.

I finally gave up and gave them just the wheel without the base. That seems to have calmed them down *somewhat*. Now they're busy burrowing under it and running around it, and oft as not thumping it into the wall of the aquarium.

I have this image of me waking up with a degu on my chest ...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 04:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Welcome to the world of Degu ownership, its a mad world!

They are mad little creatures and they do the most weird and wonderful things that only they understand. The older they are the better they get but they still have their mad moments. My 4 babies are always breaking their wheels, i think its just to get me to open the cage door personally for attention but they must do it 4 times a day at least. My other 3 boys are more laid back and don't cause half as much mess and trouble as the younger ones. They will settle down believe me it just might take a little time but they soon come round once they get used to everything and you

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:23 AM

lol yea it is a mad world ive had to tie down thier wood home because they started moving it and it was always almost falling off the second layer. mine do sometimes break thier wheel but i think mine do it on accident. i just live day by day with mine... mine can be great for a week and then go crazy for a couple days. gotta love them degus
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 03:00 PM

awww yours sound just like mine!
Once I had to keep my boys in a smaller cage with a clear plastic lid and they kept jumping into the lid too it was cute but I felt bad too.
My girls ALWAYS tip their wheel over (ours can't fall apart though, if it could, I'm sure it would!), eventually i just started tying the wheel up or hanging it and they still tug on it!
All of the toys I get them they shred too, and they ALWAYS pile their bedding up in the middle! They always try to dig in the corners of their cages (pushing the bedding in the middle) so I got them a digging pit and now they don't dig in their cage anymore

Mine always jump out when I open their doors too, they just want to explore They always run to the entertainment center too, especially my chinchilla so I always have the back blocked off with cardboard.

Degus can be very hyper and the best thing you can do is understand that they just like to have fun It might be annoying to have to keep fixing the wheel or catching escapees but you just have to understand their actions and just giggle at them when they do naughty things They're awesome pets and their madness is what attracted my husband and I to them Soon you'll get used to them and they'll settle a little and you'll fall in love and you won't care what they do
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome to the wacky world of degus!

Mine like doing the same things. Luckily my wheel can't be taken off as it came attached to the cage.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 06:08 PM

Same as those above.. Mine do that all the time, in fact I have to repair their wheels about 10 times at least a day! Welcome to the mad mad world of degu ownership...
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

I took the wheel to a friend of mine today and he's fixed it so it won't fall apart. For some reason the manufacturer put little 'wings' so the wheel pegs couldn't be pushed *IN* too far, but didn't think about the pegs being pushed *OUT* and the wheel falling off of its base!

My friend has fixed the problem by turning the pegs - one up, one down. Now that they go opposite directions it *should* be nearly impossible for them to take apart. Notice I say *should* - I won't say 'will be'!

I also bought them a big block of pumice stone to chew on, as well as a cow-hoof. I don't know if the cow hoof is good for them, exactly (They'd chew it, not eat it though, right?) or if they'll even deign to touch it. Right now they're ignoring both in favor of the wood sticks that they have little bits of left.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulaBlue
I took the wheel to a friend of mine today and he's fixed it so it won't fall apart. For some reason the manufacturer put little 'wings' so the wheel pegs couldn't be pushed *IN* too far, but didn't think about the pegs being pushed *OUT* and the wheel falling off of its base!

My friend has fixed the problem by turning the pegs - one up, one down. Now that they go opposite directions it *should* be nearly impossible for them to take apart. Notice I say *should* - I won't say 'will be'!

I also bought them a big block of pumice stone to chew on, as well as a cow-hoof. I don't know if the cow hoof is good for them, exactly (They'd chew it, not eat it though, right?) or if they'll even deign to touch it. Right now they're ignoring both in favor of the wood sticks that they have little bits of left.
Glad the wheel is fixed .

Degus don't eat meat in the wild so a cow hoof probably isn't the best thing for them. They'll probably ignore it anyways. You should be especially careful in making sure they don't eat any pieces of it because that'd be bad for them.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 05:43 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Glad the wheel is fixed .

Degus don't eat meat in the wild so a cow hoof probably isn't the best thing for them. They'll probably ignore it anyways. You should be especially careful in making sure they don't eat any pieces of it because that'd be bad for them.
I totally agree a cow hoof is not really the best thing to give to degu's as if they was to chew bits off of it they could easily choke. I'd personally just stick with the pumice stone as its much safer or give them some branches from an eating apple tree

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2006, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

I got my furbabies a new cage today. It does have a wire floor but I've got enough shavings packed beneath the cage that what's on the top of it doesn't seem to be falling through. I'll look into getting a sheet of glass or some untreated pine to put on the bottom soon, though, just in case.

The new cage has made ALL the difference! They've really calmed down. They're even now willing to come out onto my hand to get a "treat." I tap on the bars to the shelf up top and they come ruuuuunning (assuming they're not too busy on the wheel to pay attention!) and step out on my hand long enough to get the seed or peanut and run off to the bottom to eat it.