My little Denny is not looking well! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

My little Denny is not looking well!

I went to clean out the degus cage today and all but one jumped into my arms for me to put them in the other cage, for them to have a sandbath.. Denny finally came out and I noticed she did not seem her normal self, I put her in the cage with the others, and kept an eye on her, making sure she was eating etc.. I gave them some shredded wheat bitesize and a peanut each, but I was not sure whether she ate hers.. I put them back in their cage a few hours later, and then left them for a while.. When I looked in Denny was in their sleeping box so I got her out and gave her a cuddle.. I then put her in the other cage, so I could monitor her feeding, drinking etc..
If she is the same in the morning I will phone the vets to get an appointment in the afternoon.
Do you think I have done the best thing, or should I put her back in the cage with the others?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Adolescent Pup

Steph,
Not that I have any experience with degus, but I think that is a good idea to keep her separate so you can monitor her. Plus, if she is sick it is probably a good idea to keep her away from the others. I hope she is feeling better soon!
~Jenn-future degu owner
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 05:51 AM

I think you've done a good thing. If she is under the waether she will probably need some time to recouperate, and if it was anything infectious, its definitely better she's not with the others. If you are taking her to the vets soon, its not as if she will be alone for too long, hopefully.

You could add a friend of hers in with her for a few hours and see how they react, it might make her feel a bit better if she has someone with her. I've also found that degus love a warm hot water bottle, particularly when ill. it might make her a bit happier too!

keep us all posted!

get well soon Denny
xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jenn and Sammy for your thoughts and ideas.. I put her back in the cage with the others last night, I thought she would feel better in there..
I have just got back from the vets, he has given her an injection to stimulate her intestines as she may be a bit bunged up.. He is apprehensive to operate on such a small animal, and I agree as I went through all this with her sister Charlie last year.. He has told me to go home and see how she responds, she will either get well or worse.. I just dont know what to do, I have put her back in with the others, because if she is so ill I dont want her to be on her own..
I just hope this will make a difference, I asked him if it was because I was doing anything wrong, food wise etc.. He just said it was one of those things, and we should just wait and see..
I will keep you informed.. Thanks guys xx
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 06:43 PM

Steph im so sorry, things like this shouldnt happen to people like you who take such good care of their animals. Im praying for a quick recovery and i will have my degus send her healing degu vibes
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Well for the last few hours she has been in their nest, she came out a few times for a scratch then went back in.. Pete and myself have just got her out and fed her a mushy mix of guinea pig nuggets which I mixed with hot water. We fed her this through a syringe, it wasn't easy and some managed to get on the kitchen ceiling! Its only now that we have noticed how much weight she has lost, she has always been the smallest, but now she is so skinny and weighs hardly anything..
So we can monitor her we have put her in the other cage on her own, I didnt want to but I need to know if she is eating etc.. I have given her some veggies, fresh water, food and hay..
Heres hoping she is better in the morning..
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-27-2005, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawn
Steph im so sorry, things like this shouldnt happen to people like you who take such good care of their animals. Im praying for a quick recovery and i will have my degus send her healing degu vibes
Thanks for your kind words.. She is such a friendly little girl and loves to have hugs.. xx
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 01:20 AM

Denny sounds like such a wonderful little girl, i hope with all my heart that she recovers fully. I know you will keep us posted on her progress, ive been checking this thread every few hours . Smiles and hugs to you and Denny !!
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 11:51 AM

I'm so sorry Denny isn't feeling well. I really hope she pulls through for ya! Give her some extra cuddles from me.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phawn
Denny sounds like such a wonderful little girl, i hope with all my heart that she recovers fully. I know you will keep us posted on her progress, ive been checking this thread every few hours . Smiles and hugs to you and Denny !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millimi
I'm so sorry Denny isn't feeling well. I really hope she pulls through for ya! Give her some extra cuddles from me.
Thanks guys! I have been keeping an eye on her all afternoon, as I was at work this morning... We have been giving her water and Bio Lapis by syringe, she is still not eating.. The only things she does seem to be doing is sleeping and having a sandbath, and she has been peeing but no poos!
I will keep you informed, thanks for all your thoughts..xx
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaaawwwww i'm so sorry Steph I think you did the best thing keeping her with the others as they will help to keep her warm and keep her body heat up, if you do remove her use an old hot water bottle as she will need to keep her body temperature up and if she isn't moving around much i'd place it in a old icecream tub in the cage as it will keep the heat insulated. I know how you are feeling right now as i have been through that with two of my degus and its awful seeing them so sad and low but you are doing everything you can for her and thats all that matters, please keep us informed on how she is doing and if you need anything you know where i am and give the little girl a tickle from me and my boys, sending her lots of healing vibes

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
aaaaawwwww i'm so sorry Steph I think you did the best thing keeping her with the others as they will help to keep her warm and keep her body heat up, if you do remove her use an old hot water bottle as she will need to keep her body temperature up and if she isn't moving around much i'd place it in a old icecream tub in the cage as it will keep the heat insulated. I know how you are feeling right now as i have been through that with two of my degus and its awful seeing them so sad and low but you are doing everything you can for her and thats all that matters, please keep us informed on how she is doing and if you need anything you know where i am and give the little girl a tickle from me and my boys, sending her lots of healing vibes
Thanks for your kind words Kirsty! I have been looking on a degu forum I am on, and one of the girls on there had a degu that lost weight and didnt eat, it turned out to be a tooth problem.. Do you think it could be the same for Denny? The vet didnt look in her mouth, I may go back tomorrow and ask.. Also I may ask for this powder they have which you mix with water and can feed to by syringe, its like food.. What do you think?
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It could well be, have you had a look in her mouth? Are her teeth all in alignment? Even if you can't see anything it could be an underlying tooth problem in the root area, i'd give your vets a ring and enquire as won't hurt to ask at all and also do lots of research like you are already doing as best to arm yourself when you are going to the vets especially if they haven't a clue whats wrong so best to look at every possibility so she can get the best care. I think syringe feeding her water till you get a supplement is also a good idea as will keep her hydrated if she isn't eating! I'll keep on sending her lots of healing vibes and shes in my thoughts

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-28-2005, 07:29 PM

Oh Steph, that reminds me! My friend who has degus lost one due to chewing. A piece of wood from a chew toy had gotten stuck somehow in its stomach and the vets didn't get to it in time. Maybe that could be causing it?
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-29-2005, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! Well I had been giving her Bio Lapis, mixed with water that is a isotonic drink.. Also last night Pete and myself tried to look in her mouth, easier said than done.. I went to the vets this afternoon and asked him about her teeth, he said the only way to look in her mouth was to anaethetise her.. And as she is still weak he said it was not an option yet! So he gave her another injection of Metoclopramide and told me to continue with the Bio Lapis.. I asked about some recovery medicine that I had used for the bunnies before, and he gave me a pack of that to take home..
Well I have just given her the water mix and the food mix and she took most of it.. I have also put her in the cage with the others, as I thought she may be lonely.. She is still weak, but I am persivering with her..

Tags
animal lover, animal lovers, chew toy, guinea pig, shredded wheat