My New Foster Degus - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

My New Foster Degus

So I have 5 degus, 3 girls and 2 boys. These cuties were dropped off at the animal control this morning in a tupperware container, with NO holes in the lid

So far I have named the girls Cici, Pipa & Tiki.

Can we say FRIENDLY!

Yes that would be Cici on my head...

on my sholder...

This is Cici & Pipa

And Tiki (who's the shyest) lol

This is the house I made the girls today

they seem to be really enjoying it

And here are the two boys,

And the house I've made for them

The boys are much more timmid, and one seems a bit off, if he dosn't perk up tomorrow (after a good nights rest) I may call and see if their is a Vet in the area that knows Degus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

MORE PICTURES!

Tiki

These Degus are available for adoption through The Small Animal Rescue Society of BC http://www.smallanimalrescue.org
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 07:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwww what cuties, they don't look all that old either. Was they all in the same container? It really is awful what people will do, my worry is that if they have all been together that maybe one or all of the girls might be pregnant

As for the boy who seems a little off i wouldn't worry too much as degu's can be quite funny with people they don't know and if given a little time they do come round. When i got my rescues Bertie and Herbie they stayed quiet for the first 2 days and then they came out of their shell and have been little monkey's ever since If he is still the same in a few days time then it might be worth seeking your vets opinion but i bet he is out of it by then. Are you enjoying having them around?

I wish i lived closer as i would take the boys of the rescue societies hands no worries

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Last edited by Amethystbelle; 05-31-2006 at 07:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 12:55 PM
Adolescent Pup

Awww they are so cute! Poor little babies.
I wish I could take some of them too, I am from Surrey B.C. and I was actually just up for a visit a week ago, lol. Good luck!
~Jenn
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

More Questions...

Thanks

I'm really enjoying them, though i'm trying not to bug them to much (i'm sure the flash from the camera was enough LOL) and give them time to settle in.

I sure hope none of the females are pregnent I will now have to keep them for 3 months before they can be adopted out. Kind of a bummer b/c that means I will get more attached to them :p

Do you keep Dust Bath in their cage 24/7 or just put it in each day?
I took the boys out b/c they were sleeping in it, and i wasn't sure if that was all that great for them.

I know my friend would put in containers with different types of sand/dirt ect for her gals to dig and play in, they really enjoyed it.
My other friend had one of those HUGE hamster type balls that her Degu ran around it, It LOVED it... is that normal? (I'd say 1 out of 3 gerbils like them).

Oh and any suggestions on what kind of wood I can put in with the Degus to chew?
And what beddings are fine to use? Right now I have them on Aspen. THOUGH I also keep wood pellets litter and corn cb litter in my house for my other pets.

Oh and should I put the boys in a cage? instead of the plastic guinea pig duna?
I could switch them around with the foster hamster I have, she's not much of a climber and lives in a small parrots cage.

I'm not working right now, so the least amount of $$ i can spend the better

Thanks for all your help everyone!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 05:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Aww . They're so cute!! I wish I lived closer...I would totally take at least some of them .

You can leave the dust bath in all day if you want as long as you change the dust every day since they will probably end up using it as a litterbox. But I just give mine a dustbath once or twice a week .

Aspen bedding works really well for degus so I'd stick with that.

Most wood blocks made for hamsters sold at petstores are fine for degus. Mine like the natural-looking branch ones...they love the bark. They also like fruit-flavored chews as well as the mineral ones (they have ones shaped like icecream cones that my girls really like). I also have a pumice stone in there.

I think it would be better to move the boys to a cage because degus love to climb and play so taller cages with multiples levels are best. Also, your degus might chew through the plastic of their current enclosure.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2006, 06:57 PM

They're all so adorable! Good luck finding them good forever homes soon.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 04:43 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I keep my boys dust baths in 24/7 so they have access whenever they want like they would in the wild. I give them a spot clean every couple of days (by thati mean i sieve the sand to remove little bits of food etc... and i replace any soiled with fresh) and give them a thorough clean once a week. You can give them things like organic compost mixed with a little sand to dig in aswell and they go mad for that. I'm not keen on putting degu's in balls as i have found that it can freak them out, another option is if possible in a safe room let them have a ball but leave the lid off it so they can get in and out as they want

Woodwise. You have to be very careful as a lot of woods are toxic to degu's. The safe woods you can use around them are eating apple branches, hazelnut, hawthorne and kiln dried pine. I'm wary of any petshop brought wooden treats so i stay away from them as i don't want to give them anything that i don't know what it contains 100%. Eating apple branches work the best as they can climb up these too if positioned correctly and the plus point is if you can find a tree they are free. I always bake them or pour boiling water on them first before giving them to my boys to kill of any nasties than might be living on them. For bedding i use kiln dried pine shavings as over here in the UK there isn't really many other choices and for my boys these work well and we've never had a problem with them but you can also use carefresh and aspen. My boys also like hay and straw and busy themselves making nests with it

If its a temporary thing then the tank will be fine but if its more long term then the cage would be the best option as it gives them the height they love and the space. Like Sasami mentioned they could chew through the plastic base of the tank so beware as once they get started they keep on going till they are through. My boys have destroyed an expensive sandhouse in 2 weeks so they get through things very quick once they get it into their heads

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:25 PM

aww thier cute, they look happy

Tags
animal control, animal rescue, dried pine, dried pine shavings, dust bath, dust baths, guinea pig, kiln dried, kiln dried pine, pine shavings