Nail clipping (eep!) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Nail clipping (eep!)

Must I do this? I'm so scared! When I adopted them they didn't mention anything about this, but now I'm seeing stuff about it online... I get nervous clipping my son's nails! Help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:23 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

In my experience no as they tend to chew them to keep them short themselves, i have once attempted to trim their claws and i got promptly bitten so i tend to let them look after themselves now plus i have rocks and branches in their cage so scrambling over them and digging in their sand bath and soil pit helps to keep them short too. Like you i have read allsorts on the internet but i think its best to apply and do what feels right for you

If you really need to trim the claws then the key is to be careful and as degus are very wriggly you need to make sure you have a firm grip and only take the very tip off and no more and if this still isn't enough then a week later repeat as the quick will have receeded a little bit by then so should be safe to take a little more off. Remember you can always take more off but if you take too much then you risk cutting the quick. If the worse happens and you did cut through the quick don't panic thats the worse thing you can do (first time i accidently cut through my guinea pigs i freaked out and thought i had killed him ), you just need to apply some gentle pressure with a cotton wool pad and it should stop on its own in no time and then just keep an eye on the little critter for a day or two but he should be fine!

Welcome to the forum and goodluck

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 02:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I havent done this to my degus yet! But if they did need trimming I would probably take them to the vets to have it done!
Good luck and welcome to PT!

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

My degus keep their nails short on their own as do most. So you probably won't have to worry about it . If they do need clipping, you could always go to the vet's to have it done.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thanks folks! I haven't found a vet who will see them yet, but when I do I'll ask...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

I have a few that do need trimmed once in awhile.I use the baby nail clippers to trim them with.All you need to do is clip alittle of the ends off.Basically like trimming dog nails.If you clip too short then you will likely get bit.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:43 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Its really simple to do if you need to do it just take your time and like i said before only take the very tip off and no more but i'd really leave them to it as they will chew them down themselves in time. If you want any advice on nail trimming pm me as i do all my pets and its really very simple

Kirsty

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 04:08 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I had my degus nails clipped at the vets yesterday.. She reckoned I would be able to do it myself in future using a pair of nail clippers.. So I may give it a go next time..

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 04:49 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
I had my degus nails clipped at the vets yesterday.. She reckoned I would be able to do it myself in future using a pair of nail clippers.. So I may give it a go next time..
If you want any advice PM me its really so simple, if you follow my advice you should have no problems what so ever and be £20 better off You want either a good pair of nail clippers or a small pair of animal claw clippers such as the ones they do for rabbits and take the very tip off and no more as if they are still too long a week later you can go back and take a little bit more off as the quick will have receeded a tiny bit by then so you will be able to take a little more off more easily without worrying of cutting through the quick. And if you do its not the end of the world just apply some gentle pressure with a cotton wool pad and it will stop as quick as it started

Kirsty

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 05:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
If you want any advice PM me its really so simple, if you follow my advice you should have no problems what so ever and be £20 better off You want either a good pair of nail clippers or a small pair of animal claw clippers such as the ones they do for rabbits and take the very tip off and no more as if they are still too long a week later you can go back and take a little bit more off as the quick will have receeded a tiny bit by then so you will be able to take a little more off more easily without worrying of cutting through the quick. And if you do its not the end of the world just apply some gentle pressure with a cotton wool pad and it will stop as quick as it started
Thanks Kirsty I will! It only cost £10.00 for all 5, so it wasn't that bad!

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 05:27 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
Thanks Kirsty I will! It only cost £10.00 for all 5, so it wasn't that bad!
Thats not too bad at all, was there a consultation fee on top of that or was that it? Think it would cost more at my vets but then again it shouldn't amount of money i have spent in there in the last year i should get a red carpet and freebies

Kirsty

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 05:28 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Thats not too bad at all, was there a consultation fee on top of that or was that it? Think it would cost more at my vets but then again it shouldn't amount of money i have spent in there in the last year i should get a red carpet and freebies
No that was it!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 05:40 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Thats very good then

Kirsty

Tags
guinea pig