Need a Vet for my Degu. Know any? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Need a Vet for my Degu. Know any?

Hi everyone. My degu Houdini has recently been sneezing a lot and has some form of dried mucus (?) on his nose that he is constantly rubbing. I'm assuming this to be the symptoms of a cold and therefore want to bring him to the vet, no matter what it might be, as soon as possible.

I'm pretty sure his cold/respiratory disease came from the cedar bed shavings (my mom had bought these instead of the regular pine without telling me...I should have checked ) but even though we've replaced it, I think it's too late.

I've been putting tiny portions of dissolved powdered Vitamin C tablets in his water (well, I did it once two days ago and I am hesitant to try it again as I don't trust everything I read off the Internet) but so far, it hasn't improved.

I have the money saved to take him to the vet (I'm hoping several hundred is enough) but I'm having trouble finding a degu-handy vet in my area. Does anyone know one? If so, please post their contact information and if possible, the quality of care and the average costs. That would be great! Houdini and I send our thanks.

Sarah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Try contacting vets in your area (even if they don't treat degus) to ask for recommendations. I would also contact any degu breeders in the area as well as any small animal shelters/rescues (vets experienced with rabbits/cavies are more likely to be able to treat a degu).

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2010, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks for replying. I'm contacting the vet that I brought my rabbit to before, tomorrow...I'm hoping that they will have some experience with degus. Otherwise I was scanning the forums here a bit and found a vet that is 40 minutes away, which isn't all too bad. That would be my second resort if calling gets me no where. Now everything else is up to prayer. Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:36 PM

Tags
cold, veterinarian