neutering - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-08-2005, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

neutering

At what age would you recommend neutering a male degu, i guess at about a year , would you agree? i know they have to be fully grown or it stunts their growth. would appriciate a second opinion thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 09:30 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'd say wait till the year mark but i have heard of it happening sooner but i wouldn't advise it as studies have shown it can lead to problems in later life as degu's are still growing upto that point so best to wait till they are fully grown, its then a case of finding a very good vet who you can trust

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:14 PM

I had Jimmy done when he was 5 months old, it was a bit young but the vet didnt seem to think it would be a problem.. Regarding stunting his growth, he is a bit bigger than his sisters so I am not worried about my decision to get it done when I did..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purplebunny
I had Jimmy done when he was 5 months old, it was a bit young but the vet didnt seem to think it would be a problem.. Regarding stunting his growth, he is a bit bigger than his sisters so I am not worried about my decision to get it done when I did..
A lot of people do have them done younger Steph, i know a few people who've had them done at 6 months onwards But its only recently studies have shown that it can have ill effects on them in later life not just growth stunt but damage to the brain cells as well. I imagine that the numbers it has affected are in the minority but large enough for it to be noted and researched upon to find out more. It hasn't effected Jimmy at all so he is a success story Its only the bad cases that get brought to the forefront but in my opinion its better to wait as when they are a year old they are fully developed and their bodies can handle surgery better

Kirsty

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:34 PM

I know I had it done early, but I could not possibly let him live on his own any longer.. He was so lonely.. Thanks
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:37 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree if its done for a good reason like Jimmy was then go for it as the quality of life is what counts more than anything

Kirsty

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:38 PM

Red face

As long as they are happy, then so am I!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
As long as they are happy, then so am I!
And your a wonderful degu mummy

Kirsty

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 07:59 PM

Red face

And so are you!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
And so are you!
Thankyou Although i don't think they think so at the minute as i've been busy all weekend and out all this evening and not had too much time to spend with them (well not as much as normal) so they are sulking a little although didn't refuse the raisons i offered them each

Kirsty

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-09-2005, 08:06 PM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Thankyou Although i don't think they think so at the minute as i've been busy all weekend and out all this evening and not had too much time to spend with them (well not as much as normal) so they are sulking a little although didn't refuse the raisons i offered them each
Bless em!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2005, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

ok thanks for all your advice, im going to wait till he is a year old. thanks again :O)