New, already owned degus biting!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 06:30 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation New, already owned degus biting!!

Two weeks ago I got two female Degus from a lady in Vancouver who'd had them for 5 years. I researched ways to tame them and i knew it would be hard since they were older but the one degu always bites me and trys to bite me when i give him food by hand. I even read that when you hand feed them you should let them sniff your fingers and get to know your scent but whenever i do he sniffs my fingertips...and then chomp! and not like a little nibble but a big bite that draws quite a bit of blood! The other degu is quite friendly and takes food from my hand no problem, she even walked completely on my hand within 2 days and lets me pet her sometimes. I really want to tame them and be able to pick them up, if not let them crawl on me. I dont know if they werent tamed properly by their owners before or what but i want to start hand feeding them again without getting bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Try letting them run around in the bathtub and sit with them. Wear gloves so that you don't have to be nervous about the biting when you offer treats. Hopefully the biting wills stop when she gets more used to you .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 07:58 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

thanks! My room is actually out back so any ideas how to transport them safely
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2010, 10:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Can you carry the cage? I've done that before and let them come out on their own. If it's too heavy, try scooping them up with a container (I often just put in their dust bath container--they were lured in by the new bath sand and I could just pick it up).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 02:31 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

okay Ill try that

Tags
biting, degus, odler, pet, rodent