New Degu Food - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 9,930
   
New Degu Food

I meant to post this months ago . Oops.

There is a new degu food available in the US! And this one is actually really great .

It's called Sun Seed Sunscription Vita Degu Formula and I found it at the local exotics petstore. The manager says its really new...it's actually not on the Sun Seed website yet. The first day I gave it to the degus they wouldn't touch it but now they are crazy about it . It makes transporting Hikaru easier because she'll happily climb into the container...haha!

The food is completely vegetarian/vegan with absolutely no sugar, fillers, or by-products! There isn't even any corn or anything. It's also more timothy-based though there is some alfalfa for protein.

What I especially love is the fact that the label makes it clear that pellets shouldn't be the degus' main diet. It says to always have fresh grass hay available and provide leafy green veggies daily plus small amounts of carrots, sweet potatoes, etc. It even mentions giving them dust baths .

I highly recommend this pellet and am sooo happy I can finally get such a great food in the US! Especially since degus are so unheard of here.

Since the website doesn't have info you can see the food here: http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/p...ite=DDI%20Link

By the way, the website that I linked is actually where we order our hay, rabbit food, and dog food. They have great service and if you ask they will ship your order every month or two .




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 04:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer
 
Amethystbelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Age: 38
Posts: 4,109
  
I have already heard about this product through a friend, do you have a break down of the ingredients by any chance? We get sunseed over here in the UK too so would be interesting to see what is in this new food?

Kirsty


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Amethystbelle is offline  
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 05:40 PM
Will It Ever Change?
 
mulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Age: 35
Posts: 7,346
  
Here in ontario, i found at a mom and pop pet store, a degu food, the only degu food i've been able to find in all of ottawa. it's called Prestige Fibre&Herbs, and the bag is just covered in world languages. So, have any of you heard of it? Is it good? My girls mow it down so i know they like it. I'm wondering more if it's balanced enough for me to reduce/nix the guinea pig pellets? The bag says "Complete food" but whatever, they lie. I want proof lol. the ingredients are

maize flakes and pea flakes 5%
alfalfa 8%
dried carrots and leeks 5%
bananas raisins and rosehip 4%
minerals

the bananas are like the dried ones you can buy for humans. there's pellets in the food, and hay bits, it's fun looking lol i'll admit, i want to eat it. Hope to hear!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
mulder is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 9,930
   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
I have already heard about this product through a friend, do you have a break down of the ingredients by any chance? We get sunseed over here in the UK too so would be interesting to see what is in this new food?
I can totally type up the ingredients later . I'm about to go eat now but can post again in a couple hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
Here in ontario, i found at a mom and pop pet store, a degu food, the only degu food i've been able to find in all of ottawa. it's called Prestige Fibre&Herbs, and the bag is just covered in world languages. So, have any of you heard of it? Is it good? My girls mow it down so i know they like it. I'm wondering more if it's balanced enough for me to reduce/nix the guinea pig pellets? The bag says "Complete food" but whatever, they lie. I want proof lol. the ingredients are

maize flakes and pea flakes 5%
alfalfa 8%
dried carrots and leeks 5%
bananas raisins and rosehip 4%
minerals

the bananas are like the dried ones you can buy for humans. there's pellets in the food, and hay bits, it's fun looking lol i'll admit, i want to eat it. Hope to hear!
It sounds tasty and full of variety but there are some things I don't agree with. "Maize" is just corn which is full of sugar and a common filler...degus aren't supposed to eat corn. The fact that it's completely alfalfa-based is a bit concerning because of all the calcium but if that's the only alfala they get it's probably ok .

What especially worries me is the fact that it contains banana chips and raisins...that's crazy. Degus shouldn't have sugary foods which includes too much fruit...bananas and raisins are especially sugary and should never be fed. Why they have those in the food is beyond me. Carrots are high in sugar too and are a treat food.

I think that if you picked out the dried fruits it would be a decent supplement to high-quality guinea pig pellets but I don't think it should be fed alone.

Of course, that's just my opinion and I tend to be over-paranoid when it comes to feeding my pets .




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.





Last edited by Sasami; 12-09-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Sasami is offline  
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:38 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 48
 
Sun Seed Sunscription Vita Degu Formula

Ingredients:
Dehydrated Timothy Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Hull, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Oats, Yeast Culture, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K Activity), d-Biotin, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, ascorbyl 2-phosphate (Source of Stabilized Vitamin C), Beta Carotene, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Streptococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus oryazae fermentation product, Yeast Torulla, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Zinc Methionine, Copper Lysine, Manganese, Methionine, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, and Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Fiber 20
Crude Protein 16
Crude Fat 2

This food looks awesome! Thanks for the heads up!
tardigrade is offline  
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-09-2006, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd
 
Sasami's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Age: 28
Posts: 9,930
   
Oh, thanks! Now I don't have to type that up, haha!




~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.




Sasami is offline  
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer
 
Amethystbelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Age: 38
Posts: 4,109
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
Here in ontario, i found at a mom and pop pet store, a degu food, the only degu food i've been able to find in all of ottawa. it's called Prestige Fibre&Herbs, and the bag is just covered in world languages. So, have any of you heard of it? Is it good? My girls mow it down so i know they like it. I'm wondering more if it's balanced enough for me to reduce/nix the guinea pig pellets? The bag says "Complete food" but whatever, they lie. I want proof lol. the ingredients are

maize flakes and pea flakes 5%
alfalfa 8%
dried carrots and leeks 5%
bananas raisins and rosehip 4%
minerals

the bananas are like the dried ones you can buy for humans. there's pellets in the food, and hay bits, it's fun looking lol i'll admit, i want to eat it. Hope to hear!
I was given a bag of the Prestige degu food and i don't advise anyone to use it not on a daily basis. It contains banana chips and raisins which aren't good for degus on a daily basis and should only be given weekly as a treat. It also contains rosephips which are good for degus but should only be given as a treat now and again and it is bulked out with fillers. Another worry is that the bananas looked as if they have been honey coated which again is extremely bad for degus. The food smells great and if i was a degu i would love to tuck in but the raisins and banana chips are hard to pick out as everything is so small. So i wouldn't advise changing from your normal diet to this brand, i would stick to the food they already have and give this food only occasionally as a treat

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardigrade
Sun Seed Sunscription Vita Degu Formula

Ingredients:
Dehydrated Timothy Meal, Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Soybean Hull, Dehulled Soybean Meal, Ground Oats, Yeast Culture, Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Choline Chloride, Magnesium Oxide, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (Source of Vitamin K Activity), d-Biotin, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, ascorbyl 2-phosphate (Source of Stabilized Vitamin C), Beta Carotene, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Streptococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, Dried Aspergillus oryazae fermentation product, Yeast Torulla, Cobalt Glucoheptonate, Zinc Methionine, Copper Lysine, Manganese, Methionine, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylene Diamine Dihydriodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, and Sodium Selenite.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
Crude Fiber 20
Crude Protein 16
Crude Fat 2
Thankyou The food looks ok in terms of ingredient, no hidden sugars etc... Will be looking out for this food to see what it is like

Kirsty


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Amethystbelle is offline  
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Will It Ever Change?
 
mulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Age: 35
Posts: 7,346
  
thanki you so much for the info!!!!

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
mulder is offline  
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 03:06 AM
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 15
 
Dang... And I just got my 40 pound bag of Hagen Extruded in... I guess I won't be switching foods any time soon...

Sun seed has always seemed to be a great brand to me, just by reading the ingredients. If I had known about the sun seed Degu before, I would have asked if I could get it in, at least.
Piebald111 is offline  
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 03:21 AM
Will It Ever Change?
 
mulder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Ottawa
Age: 35
Posts: 7,346
  
yeah i cut the bad food completely out of their diet, my one girl is sick for sure right now, just seemed to flare up today

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
mulder is offline  
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2006, 08:01 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer
 
Amethystbelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Age: 38
Posts: 4,109
  
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder
yeah i cut the bad food completely out of their diet, my one girl is sick for sure right now, just seemed to flare up today
How is your degu doing now?

Kirsty


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Amethystbelle is offline  
Reply

Tags
calcium pantothenate, choline chloride, crude fat, crude fiber, crude protein, degu food, dog food, dried fruit, dried fruits, dust bath, dust baths, folic acid, grass hay, guinea pig, guinea pig pellets, pet store, pyridoxine hydrochloride, rabbit food, sunscription vita degu formula, thiamine mononitrate, yucca schidigera extract


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome