new Degu food - order information - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

new Degu food - order information

HI ALL,

I wrote to Vitakraft asking them to put me in touch with a supplier of the new Degu food they have started selling, as i cant get it anywhere down here in Swansea.

They have wrote back giving me the freephone number where i can order it over the phone..so if anyone is interested then ive pasted the email below..

:-

Hello,
Thank you for your recent enquiry about our degus menu.
If you have difficulty in obtaining this product, then please contact the free phone number below and they will be pleased to despatch the product for you :-
Test Valley Marketing
telephone :- 0800 389 7347
Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Adrian Hind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:33 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Great info I already buy that food from a local garden centre (well not exactly local as its 15 miles away) with a pet department but i have found it hard to get hold of in the past. My local pet shop sells Vitakraft products so i asked there and last time they ordered me some in, so that might be an idea if you have a local pet shop that sells Vitakraft products as always worthwhile asking even if they say no!

Oh and welcome to PT

Kirsty

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

hi

thanks for the welcome.. it looks a great group..

Yeah, I've had loads of problems getting the food.. I've asked my pet shop now who has said that he will try to get it in, but then again he's never heard of Vitakraft and when i told him it was degu food he said "dega what ?" *lol* so there you go.. what can you do..

I think I'll have more luck ordering over the phone.. thought it may be useful for any other who are having a hard time getting it.. I've tried eveywhere just about, large stores, garden centres, small pet shops.. almost all of them have never heard of degus *lol*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

degu menu food

I've managed to get hold of the company that sells the degus food now.. it is £1.49 for a 600g bag.. and postage is around £1 I think, with a maximum postage cost of £3.60 UK no matter how many you buy...

so ive just ordered 6 bags and I'll how the degus go with it.. I'll try adding the good bits from the gp and chinchilla food. plus the veg they have occasionly.. they also have alfalfa and timothy hay in their hay holders in the cage .. I give them half a peanut each occasionly aswell and they have natural puffed rice cakes, and crisp bread/bread sticks as treats also..

that should be a pretty much balanced diet for them I would imagine..

If anyone disagrees please let me know..

Degus diet is the one thing I have struggled with, trying to find the right mix for them that isnt harmful, without sugar or too much fat has been quite differcult.. so I'm hoping this will be ok.. apparently it doesnt contain any sugar at all, very low fat and has pretty much what they eat in their natural enviroment.. so hopefully ive got it right now.. but I realise I've got a lot to learn so any suggestions at all then please post them guys.. the more I know on the diet side of things the better..

thanks
Jo
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 03:29 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Yes, thats exactly how much i pay for the box of food although i don't pay package and posting so sounds like you got a good deal

As for foods etc..... I feed mine a mix of the Vitakraft along with a handful of guinea pig excel biscuits and a handful of guinea pig mix, i used to give them chinchilla pellets but now i buy the vitakraft i don't bother as they were leaving them to be honest. I don't have much success with veggies and fruit one refuses to eat anything remotely fresh at all apart from the odd raison (but even thats a dried fruit) and the other is selective although they both like dried carrot. Degus also like (as well as peanuts for a change) shelled nuts such as walnuts and brazils they last them a while as well as it means they have to gnaw through the shell so does the teeth good and wears them down. They also like the odd bran flake and mine go mad for wholemeal and brown bread especially if its been oven toasted. I've just started giving mine puffed rice as a treat and they love it

Kirsty

post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Red face

I may phone to get some myself.. As for the diet try not to give them too much Alfalfa, as it is not that good for them..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:27 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I didn't know Vitakraft made degu food...I wonder if I can get it here? Right now my degus are eating Brisky's diet which seems pretty good.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 06:31 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
I didn't know Vitakraft made degu food...I wonder if I can get it here? Right now my degus are eating Brisky's diet which seems pretty good.
Might be worthwhile emailing them and enquiring if you are interested as a good mix and free from dust

Kirsty

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 10:04 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethystbelle
Might be worthwhile emailing them and enquiring if you are interested as a good mix and free from dust
I probably will...is it pellets or a mix?

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

RE: new Degu food - order information

I believe its a mix.. a bit like gp mix i think.. although more suitable for the degus..
could be wrong though.. but i think thats what they said..
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 09:00 AM
red
Newborn Pup

Can anyone tell me what exactly i CAN give my babies as a treat, i bought a sweet potatoe and a carrot yesterday, but treats are supposed to be nice things. I bought some dried fruit,( apple, sultana, banana) and they liked that alot but later read i wasn't supposed to give them fruit, but on the front of a degu book i saw there is 1 eating a fresh strawberry.

Red
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanneakhurst
I believe its a mix.. a bit like gp mix i think.. although more suitable for the degus..
could be wrong though.. but i think thats what they said..
Its a mix of pellets, dried peas, carrot, seeds, other dried veggies and added vitamins which are all important to a degus diet so you are right

Kirsty

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:29 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
Can anyone tell me what exactly i CAN give my babies as a treat, i bought a sweet potatoe and a carrot yesterday, but treats are supposed to be nice things. I bought some dried fruit,( apple, sultana, banana) and they liked that alot but later read i wasn't supposed to give them fruit, but on the front of a degu book i saw there is 1 eating a fresh strawberry.

Red
Aren't veggies nice things lol? Trust me they are to degus I would say you need to be very careful with fruit as it contains a lot of sugar which i'm sure you know isn't good for degus so i always say by all means feed a little but only in moderation. The things i use as treats are dried carrot, i do buy it sometimes but also very easy to make, get a carrot and slice it very thin and leave it to dry out, for some reason degus love it. They also like bran flakes and rice puffs and i have also heard you can give them cornflakes but never tried mine on them. Breadsticks and oven toasted wholemeal or brown bread also go down well and do the teeth good. They also occasionally like nuts such as shelled peanuts, walnuts, brazil nuts and hazel nuts i always give them the nut complete with shell so they have to work for it and grind their teeth down in the process. Another treat is sunflower seeds they love those too! As with any foods i give mine treats in moderation so maybe a couple of times a week

Kirsty

post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 03:39 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by red

Red
Mine are content with carrot and sweet potato slices as well as pieces of romaine lettuce. I also give them sunflower seeds and corn sometimes.

~Stephanie

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:50 PM
Naked Dog Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
Can anyone tell me what exactly i CAN give my babies as a treat
Once or twice a week, I add one baby carrot (sliced) to their lettuce. They also like the little waffer/waffles things that are sold as hamster treats. Wheat thins. Cheerios. Basil loves his cheerios. As soon as he finishes one, he'll start sniffing around for another one.

That's really all we've tried so far. I think I gave them a bite of dog biscuit once (not real dog biscuits. These things we got from the vet's office that are about 90% air. They look almost like styrafoam, lol)

Momma to three pups:

Ein, Pembroke Welsh Corgi (black headed tri) born 7/12/2004
Tucker, golden colored lab mix, rescue - est dob fall 2004
Colleen rough collie (sable and white), rescue - est dob: 2003-2004

Tags
alfalfa hay, chinchilla pellets, degu food, dog biscuits, dried fruit, guinea pig, guinea pig excel biscuits, guinea pig mix, guinea pig pellets, hamster food, local pet shop, pet shop, pet shops, romaine lettuce, shredded wheat, sunflower seeds, timothy hay