New Degu owner here...need help finding another female in Indiana! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2010, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Question New Degu owner here...need help finding another female in Indiana!

Howdy all! I'm a new degu owner looking for some help.

A small story first. I got my degu (Jingles) the other day. I knew about them/liked them for quite some time, but due to lack of availability in my area, I've stuck with rats. However, a few days ago, I went to a petstore to price some new rat toys and saw that they had a young degu in a five gallon aquarium all by herself the aquarium had no water bottle/toys and was filthy not to mention waaay too small. They had her listed as a "Degu Hamster 4.99" lol. A little humorous was the sales associate that saw me looking and decided that he would demonstrate his "great knowledge" by telling me that not only did they eat hamster seed food, but that they, in fact, were a subspecies of gerbil (double lol). Needless to say, upon seeing the poor conditions and ineptitude of the staff, I decided to take her home since I have extra materials from my rat rescues.

I've got a lot of experience with animals, and I did research degus heavily in the past (plus some brushing up recently), so I know what all she needs. She is such a sweet little thing for coming from such a distasteful place, and I don't regret my decision lol.

My only problem is, I know they need companionship, and I cant seem to find another place that carries degus in this area to get her a friend, and the place I got her from isn't planning on carrying more. I found one person who had a male, but I don't want babies. And I'd much rather rescue/adopt/buy from someone who is a reputable breeder/rescuer than go and support a place like where she came from. She was the only one there anyways.

Does anyone know of a good breeder/rescuer in central/southern Indiana? Or someone who can transport to Indiana? I can't travel incredibly far, but if they are more than two hours away, I would be able to possibly meet halfway or pay shipping charges (although shipping might be very stressful for one of these lil guys)

Thanks for reading! Once I get to 20 posts, I'll post some pics of my baby Jingles I'm sooo glad to have found this forum! I can only imagine how helpful/fun it will be to be around other degu mommys/daddys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 12:51 AM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Welcome!

I don't know of any breeders or degu rescues in Indiana, they aren't too popular there. I would contact general small animal rescues to see if they know of any needing homes. I've seen degus end up in rabbit and guinea pig rescues before. I would also look on Petfinder and contact any shelters/rescues that have degus--they might be able to arrange transportation .

There's also the option of adopting the male and getting him neutered, provided you have a small animal vet picked out already (I'm assuming you probably do since you rescue rats).

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami View Post
Welcome!

I don't know of any breeders or degu rescues in Indiana, they aren't too popular there. I would contact general small animal rescues to see if they know of any needing homes. I've seen degus end up in rabbit and guinea pig rescues before. I would also look on Petfinder and contact any shelters/rescues that have degus--they might be able to arrange transportation .

There's also the option of adopting the male and getting him neutered, provided you have a small animal vet picked out already (I'm assuming you probably do since you rescue rats).
Thanks for your reply! After doing some serious digging, I actually located a few breeders a few hours away from my location. Two in Indiana and then one in Ohio. All I can say is: Road trip!

I do have an excellent small pet vet a little over an hour away I just think she might be happier with another girl.

Hopefully these breeders either have some girls to rehome, or are expecting litters soon.

Tags
breeder, degu, female degu, indiana