new to goos - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-17-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

new to goos

hi everyone.im planning on getting some goos in the next few months iv read a fair load on the net about diet and housing etc but i was wondering if i could use mixed millet seeds,rolled oats and broad bran as their daily feed along with hay obviously.cheers for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Adolescent Pup

Hi fuzzmac1984:

I don't think that that mixture is adequate. Firstly, it seems to high in carbohydrates (too much seeds, high energy oats). Degus can become diabetic if they become overweight. Also, it lacks the extra Vitamin C they require. (Their bodies don't synthesize Vitamin C.)

I buy specially formulated degu food. There are two brands that I know of: Sunseed Sunscription Vita Degu Formula and Versele-Laga Degu Nature. I am in Canada, so that's what's available to me. There are dedicated degu forums that can help you find the right food in Scotland. Try DeguWorld forum or Degutopia.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 16degus; 07-18-2012 at 04:23 PM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-19-2012, 09:07 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

No, that mixture wouldn't be appropriate. Too much fat, too much sugar, and not enough vitamin variety. I agree with the above poster, stick to pellets formulated for degus .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-20-2012, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

ok i kind of understand what you are talking about.iv been reading a lot of stuff on german forums and from what i can understand that most of the degu feeds are made with these ingredients along with a few others.i just figured that some of the degu feeds here in the uk do have sugar/molasses in them.thanks for the replies anyway
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-29-2012, 05:23 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzmac1984 View Post
ok i kind of understand what you are talking about.iv been reading a lot of stuff on german forums and from what i can understand that most of the degu feeds are made with these ingredients along with a few others.i just figured that some of the degu feeds here in the uk do have sugar/molasses in them.thanks for the replies anyway
Hi, yes, I have unfortunately seen degu feeds with molasses in other countries. This is probably due to those companies not knowing degus' requirements . Definitely avoid those types of food. If that's all you have available, feed unlimited grass hays along with greens, plants from outside, herbs, etc. Degus don't absolutely need pellets if they're getting a good variety of fresh foods .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Newborn Pup

A good degu food to use is beaphar xtra vital degu as this contains just the right amount of protein and fibre that degus need and does not contain much sugar.
It can be quite expensive (about4.00) so another cheaper food to use is pets at home degu nuggets(:

Tags
degu food