New here, new goo owner - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

New here, new goo owner

Hi! We are adding 2 six-week-old boys to our family this afternoon! These 2 will be our first degus so we are very excited and eager to learn, and a little nervous too. I found this site in my quest to learn more about degus and boy am I glad. This place is great!
We are getting them from a private owner that thought they had 2 males and 1 ended up being female. This owner is very knowledgeable and lives close, so that's comforting, but I would hate to inundate them with questions all the time. That's where you all come in!
One of my first questions is how do goos and cats interact? We previously had a hamster that passed a few months ago. The cats were mildly interested but neither ever made any efforts to get Hammy. In fact, if Hammy was in her ball, they were scared and ran away!
We're planning on putting these guys in our family room with our turtles. They'll get plenty of attention as that's where we are most of the time and they'll especially get attention from my 3 year old daughter, as she loves animals and talks to and plays with all of our critters all day long!
I'm looking forward to getting these little ones home and settled and to the information and back-up we'll probably need from here.
So, until I can figure out how to create a signature. . .
Kelly, mom to Maddie (10) and Laynie (3); 2 cats - Punkin (4) and Cosmo (3); 2 turtles (7); 1 betta - Grover; 1 snail - Gary; and our 2 new goos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Part of the Pack

I was in the same place as you with the sig, about 2-3 days ago. But I finally found out, so now i'll tell you! First you go up to User CP, then on the left side click edit signiture and there you go. I could only get smilies, apperently I'm not aloud to get images ? But there are a lot of different similies to choose from.

I can't give you any info. about Degus, I myself am currently looking for a couple Degus.

Well I hope this helps!!

My Second Family:

Snickers---2 year old Sheltie pup
Shadow---1 yr German Shepherd pup
Carmen--- cream longhaired boy kitty
Chloe---black shorthaired girl kitty
Tyge---my baby 1 yr dark tiger kitty
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ebony---(girl) 2 yr old silver fox bunny
Baby ---(Boy) gray Bunny 1 yr old!!
Tweety---6 month loud mouth parakeet
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tubby---Winter white dwarf hamster
? ? ?--- 4 goldfish

Two Baby degu's

RIP-- Prettyboy 3 yeat old parakeet

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 04:43 PM

cool new goos
they are pretty easy to take care of just make sure you dont feed them things with lots of sugars
dried fruit
dried carrots
I usually just feed mine guini pig food and pick out the dried fruits and carrots''
make sure they have a large wheel in thier cage cause they love to run on thier wheel and the excercise is good for them
I have cats too and im almost positive they would try to kill them and eat them if they got loose... So i have to keep them away from eachother......
I have three goos staying at school with my son it is pet month and i told the teacher she could keep them in the classroom and ill keep them on the weekends....
the kids are totally in love with them and i might never get them back. he he ...... i have a total of six i had 13 but found homes for some..... two of my females had babies twice eeeeeeeek...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2007, 07:19 PM
rae

enjoy your new degus they are great little creatures with huge personalities im relativley new to them myself but they got tame really quickley! enjoy
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 10:05 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

aaaawwww congrats on the new degus, they really do make the best pets then again i am biast as i'm degu mad

The family room sounds ideal as degus love attention and are up and about in the day so will come to see what you are doing and i'm sure they will entertain your daughter for hours as they are full of mischief. I have both cats and degus and they all get on fine infact the cats are scared of the degus Its probably something to do with the couple of occasions when they have nipped the cats tails when they have touched the cage, the goo's think the fur makes great nesting especially when its attached to the cat

Goodluck with your goos and if you need any help feel free to ask

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Oh my goodness, we are enjoying these little guy SO much. What interesting, entertaining little creatures! And their personalities have definitely come out, even in 24 hours. The great thing is that they have been handled since day one, so they are already letting us hold them, taking food from our hands and chatting to one another quietly. What a great decision we made to try our hands with these guys.
Thank you all for your encouragement and tips. This is a great site and since degus aren't very widely known, it's great to know you are all here if we run into trouble.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2007, 09:25 PM

That is funny, when my Goos are in the plastic balls, my cat is afraid of them too!! lol So funny to watch a BIG cat run from a tiny Degu.

When I've got a Goo out of a cage, I close the door and lock out my cat and dog. I think a loose Goo darts around so much, it really stimulates the cat and the dog's prey drive.

You'll get an idea pretty quickly of how your cat feels about your new Goos. If you keep an eye on things, I think you'll be just fine!

I love the idea of keeping them in the family room - you're going to have happy Degus! Goos are quite nosey, social, and love to interact and get attention. The family room is a GREAT place for them!

I personally think Degus are MUCH more interesting and entertaining than any other small pet. They are SO very clever, love solving problems, and come up with the funniest ideas! Congratulations - you're going to love them!!!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:43 AM
Playful Pup

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 AM
Will It Ever Change?

awww congrats on the goos!! my girls also lived in my living room. right in the middle and they LOVED it!!. with other animals to play with...i dunno about that, but others have given advice on it *whew* lol. when it came to coming out of the cage, i just took a big box, cut a side and extended it into a cardboard fence. then they just ran around that corner of the room, checking everything out, finding places to nap. when they're done they just ran back into their cage on their own. AND when they jailbroke on me (which was every time i opened it lol) they'd do a lap, then look at me. i'd point at the cage and say "go on, get back in there, silly girls, i have to go" and poof theyd run back in. good are smart, they know their cage is the safe spot. so generally in my experience you can let them out, they run around like guinea pigs, then when they're tired or hungry they go back to their cage. i found when loose in my apartment, they also didn't chew any wires. mind you, they liked the corners of walls lol but no wired. maybe i was lucky, but my girls were SO well behaved

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 11:14 PM

Oh yes, that is so true in my case too!! When Imana has her play time, she loves every minute of it, but when it's over, she is so READY to go back home.

It is a bonus feature! lol Like little baby homing pigeons.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 11:44 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
awww congrats on the goos!! my girls also lived in my living room. right in the middle and they LOVED it!!. with other animals to play with...i dunno about that, but others have given advice on it *whew* lol. when it came to coming out of the cage, i just took a big box, cut a side and extended it into a cardboard fence. then they just ran around that corner of the room, checking everything out, finding places to nap. when they're done they just ran back into their cage on their own. AND when they jailbroke on me (which was every time i opened it lol) they'd do a lap, then look at me. i'd point at the cage and say "go on, get back in there, silly girls, i have to go" and poof theyd run back in. good are smart, they know their cage is the safe spot. so generally in my experience you can let them out, they run around like guinea pigs, then when they're tired or hungry they go back to their cage. i found when loose in my apartment, they also didn't chew any wires. mind you, they liked the corners of walls lol but no wired. maybe i was lucky, but my girls were SO well behaved
My degus are the same way . In fact, when Hikaru was alone I gave her free-range whenever I was home (as you probably know). She never went too far and always went into her cage when I told her to.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
dried fruit, dried fruits, guinea pig, pig food