Oh my god, I'm so getting a Degu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:00 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Oh my god, I'm so getting a Degu

I was just reading up on them at http://www.degutopia.co.uk/ , and they look like the perfect pet. I had a hampster when I was about 7 years old, and I almost never held her because she bit me the first night I had her, so I was scared of them, but now I can pick up my Ball Python with no problem, so I figure I can pick up a Degu with no problem. I'm gonna buy one with the money I get from my family when I get my confirmation for CCD. I'm getting one.

"I Knew It Wasn't Berkowitz!!!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Guarded by Waffles

Good luck.

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Actually, I would not suggest getting a degu...but rather a pair . Degus like to have companions. I would get a same sex pair...siblings, if possible .

Oh, and don't try to pick up your degu right away. They usually don't like it and would rather sit in your lap or on your shoulder. Constantly trying to pick up a new degu will make them not trust you. Mine have learned to tolerate being handled but I only do it if I need to.

http://www.degus.org is another great website to check out .

Good luck!

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasami
Actually, I would not suggest getting a degu...but rather a pair .
Awesome, thanks. A pair is always better than 1.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 05:57 PM

If your looking for a pet you can carry around and cuddle, a Degu's not for you. If your looking for an entertaining, social, vocal and adventourous pet then your looking for a degu

http://www.myhomezone.co.uk/degus/

Check out local rescues, see if you can meet a pair and maybe foster some, this is a great way to get to know the breed.
Also remember they have a restricted diet and make sure your area sells proper food (Guinea pig & Chinchilla pellets with no mollasses). Some areas it's hard to find these things.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Adolescent Pup

I've been thinking that I will get either a Degu, a Chinchilla, or a Scorpion. My mom wants me to get a scorpion because she said that she wants me to have something that she wont like (she doesnt want to get attached). So I think that I will get a Degu....... Or a Chinchilla....... Or a Scorpion.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I have both degus and chinchillas and both vary in care and both aren't what i would class as a cuddly pet as both are far too independent for that

If you want anymore info check out my website in my signature, its a guide to everything you need to know. I would also suggest if you are interested in either a degu or chin that you do as much research as possible and you weigh up the pros and cons of each species. Goodluck with whatever you decide

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 01:18 PM

My Richardson's Ground Squirrel is pretty awesome. Very lovable and pretty easy to care for. They need lots of attention and time to bond with them but then they become part of the family. Extremely similar to Prairie Dogs (not quite as wonderful, but the next best thing). Do lots of research on whatever you get as they all require so many different things!! If you're interested I could always give you more info!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2006, 11:41 PM

I had chinchillas before.The first one I had was a male, he was a sook! He loved people & loved to be held.My 2nd was a female (got couple years after the first died,he was old!) & she absolutely adored my dog.& I mean ADORED. Sadly she died this past summer & I have no idea why I will get more chinchillas in the future (a pair this time) BUT not till I have access to a good vet that will treat chinchillas.

I also have an interest in degus.May look into them more .
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 08:31 PM

Hmmm, well, I want a chinchilla but I've got two Degu's. And everyone's right, if you want a pet you can cuddle, a Degu probably isnt for you but they are very rewarding pets =].
Anyways, with whatever you get, goodluck my dear.

Tags
ball python, chinchilla pellets, guinea pig, prairie dog, prairie dogs