Oh my god please help! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 07:06 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Unhappy Oh my god please help!

Oh my god so just got two baby degus for my older degu to keep him company. Anyways he lives in my bedroom and i put the babies in and there has been non stop squeeking all night! i could actualy cry i am that tired!
Mr Degu my older degu will not leave one of the babies alone! keeps trying to mound it but leaves the other alone so i am wondering if it si a female i can not get hold of the babies to check yet as they are very shy but was told they were both males.
So the main problem is that they are so noiesy! and i can't keep them anywere else exept a conservatory but will they be ok in there? Honestly i need sleep!!!! is it because it is there first night together? will they settle down? or shall i move them thank you x
Also early in the morning my older Degu would not stop squeeking really really loudly! wondering what it is? Please help x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Ahh and not nice but also the oldest degu has his manhood out and wont put it away! lol :/
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Were these guys introduced or just thrown in the cage together? It sounds like a rushed introduction to me but if they aren't drawing blood you should keep them together and just wait it out. They should settle down.

Right now your adult is just showing that he's boss. If the babies don't challenge him, things will calm down very quickly.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yeah i had some spare money left over and went to the pet store to get a baby there were two left and i didnt want to leave one alone so i got them both.
So i asked about introducing them and about a cage to place by the other cage and was just informed to put them all in together and this was by the manager of the shop who said he had owned degus before! so i introduced them in the bath tub (obviously empty lol) were they all groomed each other and seemed fine i then cleaned out the cage so it was neautral (no smells of either degus) and put them in. Thats when this one baby wont give up his dominance lol and there both squeeking all the time there has been no blood shed though so will they sort it out in time? thanks x

Last edited by kazzyx-x-x; 07-08-2011 at 07:22 AM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

To be honest, I'd be hesitant to take his advice again. His motivation is to sell you degus, it's not necessarily for their well-being. You also don't know how many he's kept or for how long...for example, maybe he kept young females (who are very easy to introduce).

They should work it out on their own but watch them carefully. You're very lucky that they didn't fight and that's hopefully a good sign .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Yeah i thought it was a little starnge and different form all other advice i had heard but i took his as he was a manager of a pet store also it wasn't even a small one it is quite a well known big one!
I know now for any further introductions and i'm glad they didn't fight. They have quitened down now and have a new bigger 3 storie house which they seem to love and have been moved into a room downstairs so i can sleep haha.
Thanks for all your advice anyways x

Tags
bedroom, degu, sleep