Oh no, cataracts!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Degu Discussion Twitching whiskers, curious noses, and all things degu related.

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-07-2005, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh no, cataracts!!

One of my babies has developed cataracts in her eyes. At least thats what I think they are. They are very faint and can only be seen when the light hits her eyes right. I don't feed my degus any sugar containing food. They eat Brisky degu pellets, timothy hay, and get veggies as treats. My other degu eats the same diet, and is much older, and doesn't have cataracts. DeDe, the one with the cataracts, isn't even 2 yet. I'm dumbfounded. They are not from the same breeder. I suppose it could just be a genetic thing. I don't want her to be sick. Does anyone have any degus with cataracts? How bad does it affect them? I'm worried.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 01:10 AM
Adolescent Pup

What color are they? cataracts usually glow white, but ive only seen in pictures. Could you take a picture and post it maybe?

Lois Isabel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 04:58 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

One of my degu's Basil has a cataract on one of his eyes and he's only 4 now and i noticed it when he was 2 and it was a shock when i saw it as like you i do all the right things and give them the best and its a shock but it is all down to genetics. When i first saw it i thought diabetes so i had him checked out by my vet and thankfully he hasn't got it and its basically just down to bad genetics along the line and he does fine, you can only see it in certain lights and it doesn't bother him at all and he recognises the treat jar at a thousand paces Degu's like most rodents use their senses a lot so they will compensate for your degu's loss of sight but i'd keep a close eye on her to make sure shes ok!

If your worried get her checked out by your vet as it will put your mind at ease as it took a weight of mine as i was so worried and the cost is worth it

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Part of the Pack

I've had a degu with a cataract. He lived with it with no problems for most of the time, and he had adapted to it. His wasn't really white in colour either, it was more grey and sometimes very difficult to see.

Since your baby has it a a young age, she will probably grow up not knowing much difference, and will cope well with it. I'm sure she'll adapt!! There is plenty of advice out there for degus with cataracts because it is such a common degu problem, such as not moving the parts of the cage around or changing the layout as it will confuse her. It has also affected my degus sense of distance (when he jumps, it occasionally goes a little wrong), but they are hardy little creatures that cope quite well.

I will point out though, (and this may be a one off so don't worry) that my degu with cataract was prone to infection in that eye (i think he forgot it was there or something!?!), and has since had to have his eye removed due to really bad infection, despite numerous vet visits. He is now very happy with only one eye and copes marvelously!!!

Please try not to worry too much about her cataract, if that is what it is. She will adapt, and providing it doesn't go bad or nasty, i don't think you should worry. You sound like you've got the diet sorted, so keep with that and you'll not have to worry about sugar being an influencing factor. Genetics sounds like it is the culprit here!!

Good luck and keep us posted!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 06:02 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I hope your degu is ok? Keep us informed..

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 11:34 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Thanks for the info. I'm going to take her to my vet as a precaution. I really don't think its diabetes. Shes very active and seems her normal self. They developed really fast because I was looking at some pics I took a month ago and they are not visible. Thanks again. I'm going to take a picture of her and post it and see if yall think its cataracts. I'm pretty positive it is.

Because I was born in the South, I'm a Southerner. If I had been born in the North, the West or the Central Plains, I would be just a human being.
Clyde Edgerton
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 11:50 AM
Playful Pup

Yeah I hope she is okay. And let us know what the vet says!

2 Rabbits 2 Degus 2 Leopard Geckos 1 Crested Gecko 2 Green Tree Frogs + Fish
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Okay heres a pic. Its definitely cataracts.

Clyde Edgerton

Tags
timothy hay, vet visit, vet visits